Frozen sample issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Analysis to show the effects of freezing seawater samples on trace element levels.

Sample A001 +22°C Blank
Sample2 A002-198°C
Sample3 A003-10°C

Samples were taken from the same source solution which was spiked with multiple trace elements to enable us to observe the effects of freezing that may happen during transit of samples in extreme environments.

IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0182.JPG

Findings attached...

Simple conclusion

Even freezing samples lower than -40°C shock frozen with liquid nitrogen did not show any significant effect on our testing method and it’s usability in reef aquariums. Tested for macro elements and as many trace elements as possible in seawater.

Some of the elements that normally tend to decrease in a sample over time, for example, Mercury, Tin, Selenium, and Manganese show possible better recovery. Further testing is needed to assess a real benefit of freezing samples prior to analysis. For this reason, we will redo this testing with the samples A002 and A003 remaining in a frozen state for two weeks.

Attachments

• Frozen Seawater.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 125

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Tim! Thanks for doing this... should but some concerns to rest. Look forward to the results of the longer term freezing.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Analysis to show the effects of freezing seawater samples on trace element levels.

Sample A001 +22°C Blank
Sample2 A002-198°C
Sample3 A003-10°C

Samples were taken from the same source solution which was spiked with multiple trace elements to enable us to observe the effects of freezing that may happen during transit of samples in extreme environments.

IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0182.JPG

Findings attached...

Simple conclusion

Even freezing samples lower than -40°C shock frozen with liquid nitrogen did not show any significant effect on our testing method and it’s usability in reef aquariums. Tested for macro elements and as many trace elements as possible in seawater.

Some of the elements that normally tend to decrease in a sample over time, for example, Mercury, Tin, Selenium, and Manganese show possible better recovery. Further testing is needed to assess a real benefit of freezing samples prior to analysis. For this reason, we will redo this testing with the samples A002 and A003 remaining in a frozen state for two weeks.
Thanks for doing this. I will be looking forward to the follow up experiment as well.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the post is a bit clunky, not to easy to make it flow well on a forum post, will try to host it on the main website and hopefully, it will be easier to read...

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PDF works fine Tim.

Interesting that so many of the elements increased in the frozen samples. Looking forward to the discussion on this one!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back