Funky white stuff growing on live rock

Medicreefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2012
Messages
242
Reaction score
113
Location
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I bought a mushroom rock from a local reef club member last week. I brought it home last Sunday, did an ro dip and then a coral rx pro dip. It has since been in my QT with two clowns a torch and a hammer (all dipped and coral rx'ed as well). Today I noticed the hammer was stretching out one of its tentacles in what looked like a covert attack on the mush room rock. he hadnt reached it yet so I moved them both to separate corners of the tank. When moving the mushroom rock I noticed the bottom side had some weird white stuff growing on it. Only way to describe it is it looks almost like a spider egg nest but far more durable. I tried to take some pics but it gets washed out. I will attach them for your viewing pleasure : ) The rock also has this crazy yellow sponge growing on it but I was told that this was beneficial. The second pic also has a hitchhiker worm on the rock. It's smack dab in the middle of the pic. Is he a bad guy or good guy?

IMG_2218_zps46d68983.jpg



This one also has a little red worm smack dab in the middle of the pic. Is he good?
IMG_2216_zps1d284e3a.jpg




IMG_2217_zps08ef096e.jpg


Thanks in advance for looking and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Jay
 
From the pics it looks like just another form of sponge. I have it growing on the bottom of some of my live rock also. I have had it for years now and just pull of pieces as it grows into sight. I fellow reefer told me that it doesn't hurt anything as long as pruned back and actually helps absorb nitrates in the aquarium. I do not know if that is true but my nitrates have always been at 0. I may be wrong about this but like I said I have the same thing that looks like what you are describing and have not seen any problems with it .
 
nice, looks like you have a lot of sponge growing on that rock! cool piece.
 
+1 sponge.

The worm is a bristleworm. Great part of your cleanup crew but don't touch it. It has irritating bristles.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new