OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Kessils a360x, Radion G5s and now Sky. I like the Sky because of the color it gives the tank, the integration and the large size. Owning them (not going off of online interviews), IMO the build quality is as good or better than comparables.
Friend owns a coral shop. And has had numerous people go from G5s to try the Sky. Their all very pleased with how it looks and covers.

But finding a un biased view is hard considering the kick back etc

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Considering I have T5 combo. I hope the growth I'll get will be similar. But either xr30 g5 pro, or the Sky's. On 6' tank either 3 or 4 lights.......

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend owns a coral shop. And has had numerous people go from G5s to try the Sky. Their all very pleased with how it looks and covers.

But finding a un biased view is hard considering the kick back etc
Agreed, haven’t heard many negative reviews of the people who actually bought and used them. And the build quality questions will show in time… If at all. Tough choice.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread about kick backs. There is also a lot of information that is biased and not objective as it relates to the SKY and other products. Since you noted these two manufactures you can also add Philips Coral Care Gen 2's and ATI Straton to the mix. I'm adding those because of the panel design and price point. I'm going to be honest here and tell you up front I've using a pair of SKY's over my 210 mixed reef. Here is my thought:

1. Make a list of your requirements
2. ATI straton - panel design, more expensive, more LED's, running lower power per LED, passive cooling, yucki mounting option, may be the best light out of all with the longest life cycle due to design. I like it.
3. Philips Coral Care Gen 2 - passive cooling, single cord, similar price to SKY and Radion, good spread, and amazing natural look. I like it. Heavy. Good mounting options.
4. G5 Radion. Fans, smaller, panel design, widely used, BRS (I think) rated it top of their part per dollar or whatever it was. Sorry I don't remember exactly what they call it.
5. SKY - new kid on the block. Apex integration. Bluetooth. Single light flexible spectrum (5 pre-set using phone app, 13 using apex), good par, good distribution
6. Consider the other options as well as noted here

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Ignore the noise, look at your requirement, and pick the design that works for you. Of the list I provided they will all have similar PAR as they are all similar in wattage. Panel design, wider, will provide a spread. They will all grow coral(s). No one has put displays side by side, with each light noted above, connected to the same sump and support system, with the same coral frag(s), and did a side by side year long test. They are all controlled...

All the best, you have a good list. Take care.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G5, watch the ReefBuilder's tear down of the SKY light and save yourself the headache when it burns out in a year

There are a few that have been in operational already pass that. Check back in this thread a year later and we'll talk though if you want.

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I’d consider a G5 a “panel” style. Step in the right direction but they kinda just dipped their toe in the water. From a panel size standpoint its not really the real deal, especially compared with the others and T5

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unlike others slinging alot of mud here, I have actually owned G5 Pro, G5 Blue, Kessil and Sky.

The G5 and Sky have very similar build quality. They are both plastic cases, aluminum heatsinks, a few circuit boards and the led panel. Kessil build quality definitely feels on a higher level.

There are many comments about the soft touch coating found on the sky; it is the same as what is found on Vortech pump drysides and I had 5 yo units without issue.

The fan on the G5 is loud. My Kessils and the Sky fans barely run, or run at lower speeds. The G5 seemed to always be running at a fast speed.

The real difference in build quality in my real world experience. All of my G5's ended up with cracked lower cases and/or cracked lenses, so I had to disassemble my brand new lights and change the lower case. If you slightly overtighten those screws holding the case/ lens... bam cracks even with the new case (with added washers)

In terms of real world use of the lights...

If you go with G5 (or Kessil) and have a tank >18" front to back, you will either need XR30 mounted front to back or supplemental bars. The panel size of the G5 is a good step in the right direction, but not enough to properly cover tanks 24" front to back. Note that tests with no aquascape or coral will show great coverage.

Color wise there is quite a difference. Kessil and Sky has more of the royal blue/ violet color to it. G5 has more of the blue-green color to it.

Last edited:

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's been roughly a month can someone share a before/after picture of how their corals have responded since adding the Sky? Majority of comparisons I have seen changed from a clearly inferior light. Still a toss up for me between the G5/Sky, each has their pro's and cons.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Since it's been roughly a month can someone share a before/after picture of how their corals have responded since adding the Sky?

Aug 5 (Right before I changed the light)
1630432285603.png

Aug 31 (Today)
1630432307518.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 5 (Right before I changed the light)
1630432285603.png

Aug 31 (Today)
1630432307518.png

Nice looking display. SPS frag in the back has some nice color.

While others won't appreciate this you may. I was previously running Kessil's and had a frag piece fall that I didn't catch. Xenia started to grow around it and over time the color changed from dark green to red. After swapping to the SKY's the coral changed back to green. Interesting how these lights penetrate previously shaded areas. I also have a sunset monitpora that must have grown from a chipped piece I missed.

Nice display - keep up the great work.

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sky is too boring and flat for my taste, too much like T5’s. I prefer the shimmer of the G5 but that’s personal preference

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a T5 combo with kessil.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
SPS frag in the back has some nice color
PC Rainbow is a really nice piece. Great color, easy to take care of and inexpensive.

What’s been your experience between the 2 lights?
I like it. My primary goal was simplification. Before, I had to control the kessils via the app... the bars via apex... and a bunch of power supplies/ cords.

I really like the color that the light puts out. The color is probably my favorite thing.

I was surprised that 1 would cover the whole tank. When I first set it up, I was running it at 100% to match the par values, but I found that it was a bit too bright (Corals not looking as happy) so I turned it down to 75%. Since my auqascape covers from let to right in the top, I do get a little shadowing in the upper left and right zones. This has gotten worse as the Knicks torch has grown... so I had to move some LPS around. I think I may need to move the Raja soon.

Do I miss the shimmer of Kessil? Yes and no. I run Gyres right at the top of the tank, so there is super surface agitation... so no "long" shimmer lines, rather just a lot of little blips all over. I liked it when it was muted by the LED bars, But when the bars turned off, It was too much for me. I would rather concentrate on the movement of the fish and corals. That is not to say that the shimmer is gone... it is still there. I would say it is slightly more than the G5 Radion with the diffuser. I can see it on the rockwork, on the montis. But I do not see it on the Euphyllia where i saw it previously (This is a plus to me as I thought the shimmer distracted from the tentacle motion). Overall... this is the right kind/ amount of shimmer for me.

One tip... I would definitely recommend a 12" mounting height. 8-9" just did not do it for me.

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am in the same boat as the OP. However, I have decided on getting the Radion XR15 G5s. My main question though is pro vs blue.

My needs are coral growth and I have always like a more Radium (with no supplementation) tank. I have seen the videos that even the AB+ schedule looks way different from Blue vs Pro... I guess my main question is which light, pro or blue, grows all corals better under the unmodified AB+ straight out of the app?

Thanks, Jared

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself I have the Radion G5 blues. I wanted more blue and the option for the true AB+ down the road.

I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with any LED in that price range (or higher), and that includes the Radion and SKY.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All,

I am in the same boat as the OP. However, I have decided on getting the Radion XR15 G5s. My main question though is pro vs blue.

My needs are coral growth and I have always like a more Radium (with no supplementation) tank. I have seen the videos that even the AB+ schedule looks way different from Blue vs Pro... I guess my main question is which light, pro or blue, grows all corals better under the unmodified AB+ straight out of the app?

Thanks, Jared
Truth is that the AB+ for both is different. The G5 Blues look NOTHING like the original AB+ that we have had for years. Ecotech didn't even sniff the same look. I had a G5 Blue and G5 Pro right next to each other. Set both to AB+ and they were quite different. I personally didn't like the Blue at all. That is all you get. Blue. There is no true white setting to see the reflective colors of corals and fish. I ditched the Blue and went Pro for almost a year. Had good success overall.

I could make the Pro plenty blue for my dusk/dawn rave party look. But I also got the nice bright white for daytime viewing. The Pros were also 100x easier to film and get pictures with

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back