Gas Bubble Disease

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local zoo (ZooTampa in Tampa, Florida) recently had all their stingrays die at once. They're claiming it was due to gas bubble disease from a malfunctioning filter that supersaturated the oxygen in the water. It made me wonder if air stones can cause similar issues. I've read conflicting advice on this. I keep my quaratine tank heavily oxygenated since I know praziquantel can rapidly deplete oxygen and I just assumed it was a good husbandry practice for stressed/new fish. Any thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems counterintuitive but aeration actually reduces supersaturation events.

The big risk for home aquarists is any air leak on the suction side of a strong pump, that forces Gas to dissolve into the

I’ve been following the Tampa event and I wonder if they meant air supersaturation, not oxygen. It is the nitrogen in air that causes the biggest issue. Sharks are often shipped in 150% saturation oxygen. If it WAS oxygen, my guess is they meant it was an ozone issue.

Jay

OP
OP
jefra

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems counterintuitive but aeration actually reduces supersaturation events.

The big risk for home aquarists is any air leak on the suction side of a strong pump, that forces Jay

I’ve been following the Tampa event and I wonder if they meant air supersaturation, not oxygen. It is the nitrogen in air that causes the biggest issue. Sharks are often shipped in 150% saturation oxygen. If it WAS oxygen, my guess is they meant it was an ozone issue.
Thanks Jay. I'm pretty well read and would've been surprised if aeration had some huge dangers I'd never heard anything about. The Tampa event made me want to double check though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back