Gem Tang Timeout

txmaverickmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a 180g mixed reef, 6 months old...lots of lyretail anthias, clowns, several wrasses, and my fav, Gem Tang...I bought a beautiful blonde naso tang a few days ago, and since entering the tank, Gem Tang has been bullying him like crazy. The Naso has a few little nicks on him, but nothing major. I tried mirrors, no help...I was able to catch the Gem Tang today, and I placed him in time out in an isolation box inside the tank where they can still see each other.

Any expert thoughts on how long I keep him in isolation box? he was tough to catch, prefer not to do that again...I am new to tangs with first large tank, I thought I would have better luck since they are different genus.

Thank you so much in advance.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a 180g mixed reef, 6 months old...lots of lyretail anthias, clowns, several wrasses, and my fav, Gem Tang...I bought a beautiful blonde naso tang a few days ago, and since entering the tank, Gem Tang has been bullying him like crazy. The Naso has a few little nicks on him, but nothing major. I tried mirrors, no help...I was able to catch the Gem Tang today, and I placed him in time out in an isolation box inside the tank where they can still see each other.

Any expert thoughts on how long I keep him in isolation box? he was tough to catch, prefer not to do that again...I am new to tangs with first large tank, I thought I would have better luck since they are different genus.

I had a similar issue with a coral beauty beating up a new yellow tang - I left her in the iso box for 2 weeks, because like you, i wasn't keen on ripping apart my scape to catch her again. This was long enough for the aggression to disappear in my case.

OP
OP
txmaverickmh

txmaverickmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with a coral beauty beating up a new yellow tang - I left her in the iso box for 2 weeks, because like you, i wasn't keen on ripping apart my scape to catch her again. This was long enough for the aggression to disappear in my case.
Oh man, that seems like such a long time to leave the gem tang in the little acrylic isolation box

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend putting it in the sump or qt for a couple days as well as rearranging a few rocks. It'll change the territory and give the naso a break. Let the naso find it's new home and then add the tang back in. Acclimation box won't work in my opinion since it won't feel like it moved reefs. Good luck

OP
OP
txmaverickmh

txmaverickmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend putting it in the sump or qt for a couple days as well as rearranging a few rocks. It'll change the territory and give the naso a break. Let the naso find it's new home and then add the tang back in. Acclimation box won't work in my opinion since it won't feel like it moved reefs. Good luck
This is probably a dumb question...but the largest area of my sump is the chamber where my protein skimmer and biopellet reactor are...just put him in there?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to set who’s who.
This may take some days and provided the aggression is not consistent, pinned in a corner, or damaged, I’d see if they can work that out themselves.
Every new tang you’ll go through that process.
The Naso is docile for a tang added after established tang so keep careful watch.
Most agressive last is sometimes easier with Tangs.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving in the box might not work with this one so if you do put it back in the tank you may have to catch it again. Just be prepared.

OP
OP
txmaverickmh

txmaverickmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may take some days and provided the aggression is not consistent, pinned in a corner, or damaged, I’d see if they can work that out themselves.
The Naso is docile for a tang added after established tang so keep careful watch.
Thats what I am thinking...this is my first time with tangs, it was just hard to watch...

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's up to you on how you feel about the aggression. A 12in x 12in space in the sump should be plenty also. Or you can pull the bio pellets for a night. Just recommendations. Nasos are the best cause they're docile IMO.

It's a process that you might have to get use to if you plan on adding any more fish cause that tang will probably be that way to all new additions going forward. Unless they're bigger. That's what worked for me.

OP
OP
txmaverickmh

txmaverickmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I think you might have been spot on on this one...took Gem Tang out of timeout right before lights went out...yesterday they were still doing their thing figuring out who is boss...but today they are pretty much ignoring each other despite an occasional tough man tango...fingers crossed it keeps getting better.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I think you might have been spot on on this one...took Gem Tang out of timeout right before lights went out...yesterday they were still doing their thing figuring out who is boss...but today they are pretty much ignoring each other despite an occasional tough man tango...fingers crossed it keeps getting better.
It should… my gem tried that with my naso when he was smaller but today if the gem feels like getting tough my blonde naso will put him in his place quick! lol..

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen the Tang aggression issue mentioned many times in other R2R posts.
Haven't done this myself but add a small mirror outside of tank where the bully use to hang out most before the additional tang. Bully sees itself in mirror, focuses on this other "new" enemy tang vs beating up your new fish.

OP
OP
txmaverickmh

txmaverickmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen the Tang aggression issue mentioned many times in other R2R posts.
Haven't done this myself but add a small mirror outside of tank where the bully use to hang out most before the additional tang. Bully sees itself in mirror, focuses on this other "new" enemy tang vs beating up your new fish.
oh man, I think it is just hilarious watching Gem Tang fight himself ALL DAY LONG, hardly ever messing with the Naso any more...meanwhile, the Naso is just swimming all over the tank checking things out, exploring his new tank...and GemTang is over in the corner in a war with himself HAHAHHA

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just keep an eye on the tang and placement of the mirror. I tried to calm a tomini tang's aggression using the mirror trick and it broke off a scalpel and bruise himself.

OP
OP
txmaverickmh

txmaverickmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I just want to say thank you to everyone who offered advice, Blonde Naso has a few little marks, but nothing bad...and today, Gem Tang and Naso seemed peaceful and chill, not the crazy aggression...fingers crossed for peace! But, thank you so much for your help!

OP
OP
txmaverickmh

txmaverickmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics for reference

IMG_9192.jpeg
IMG_9193.jpeg
IMG_9194.jpeg

Hello All,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back