Getting the best SPS colors

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone use to bring out the best colors.
Red- ?
Blue-?
Green- ?
Purple-?
Yellows-?
What do you dose and how much.
Are you one that don't dose but maybe use light or NO3 etc.
I just like to see what everyone's opinion is. Everyone has their on way.
No way is right or wrong. This is not to debate just post how you go about it.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone use to bring out the best colors.
Red- ?
Blue-?
Green- ?
Purple-?
Yellows-?
What do you dose and how much.
Are you one that don't dose but maybe use light or NO3 etc.
I just like to see what everyone's opinion is. Everyone has their on way.
No way is right or wrong. This is not to debate just post how you go about it.

I started using Coral Essentials Amino which just became available in the US recently. My SPS really responded. Like instantly. I started it in a 45 AIO at one drop per day and got some Cyanobacteria. I lowered it to one drop per week and the SPS are still coloring up incredibly.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went away for a week and my nitrates and phosphates were a bit low. My wife fed the fish while I was away and the corals really colored up nice when I came home Friday evening. :)
Old tank, stable Alk ( calcium reactor)
stable temp, salinity, etc
@ X250 w MH 14,000

The fish were happy,

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went away for a week and my nitrates and phosphates were a bit low. My wife fed the fish while I was away and the corals really colored up nice when I came home Friday evening. :)

LOL, let her keep feeding then.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting topic. Following

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best lights
Stable water parameters (I do use a CaRx, but seen really nice stuff with 2/3 part)
Mature, stable tank
Competent flow
High throughput but low residual building blocks - feed the fish well and skim heavy and change some water
Time
Patience

I have tried nearly every supplement years ago and any time that I think that I noticed that one did something, the "something" did not go away when I quit supplementing. Today's hot supplement is tomorrow's joke - the cycle never ends - there was a day when people swore about the increased color and growth from DTs Oyster Eggs and Marine Snow just like they do Acropower and other Aminos today.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience pO4 .03-.10 and nO 5-20pmm with just right amount of light is where I’ve found works best for all colors. With frequent small 10-20% water changes with a quality salt mix. I always run heavy bioloads with heavy feeding. I maintain the above nutrients feeding 16 fish 6 cubes daily in 60 water volume without gfo (nothing but problem with it in the past). Just a good skimmer and some macro algae. Although I’ve always struggled with over skimming for some reason and blasting my corals with light which led to pale lackluster results. Taking a step back turning down my LEDs and raising my t5’s proved valuable even with a par meter telling me otherwise.

I do use brightwell coral amino and seachems fuel to offset the fact my skimmers huge for my overall water volume (rated for 6x my volume). Noticed better growth and better coral in 30%. All in all lighting still was the number one contributor overall improvement. I also ditched mechanical filtration this helped as well.

I’ve been in the hobby for nearly two decades and tried all the snake oils. Some work sort of or maybe it’s just a pseudo effect lol, but ultimately with a proper balanced tank you’ll get the results you want without making your life more difficult. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back