GFCI Outlet poll

Where are you on Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlets for your power supply?

• Total voters
OP
OP
MarcF

MarcF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I agree with you - but taking it from someone who had a SW tank in his daughters room. and it caught on fire - with a GFI - yeah - there's that.
Why did that happen? Can you say? I'm getting nervous. I could use a little peace of mind, if anyone can offer any.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why did that happen? Can you say? I'm getting nervous. I could use a little peace of mind, if anyone can offer any.
This is something for @Brew12 If it makes you feel better - it was years ago and never repeated

OP
OP
MarcF

MarcF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah. I guess I mis attributed the quote then? But thanks. I'm a jittery sort of guy. It's a big move - not life and death I keep reminding myself. Well, it's life and death to the fish. My spidy sense is tingling. But, it's coming in Thurs (or maybe tomorrow). Once it's delivered I'll be too busy to be jittery.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i work in commercial construction and have seen GFCI's save peoples lives on countless occasions. My own included. I do not have any in home story i can relate to the home aquarium but i can tell you electricity isnt a joke and should always be regarded with the utmost respect. i can link you to some horrific youtube videos if you really need further proof.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the same question a few months ago and @Brew12 pointed me towards the gfci and pigtails from his post. I went that way on my 24gal jbj nano cube aio with apex and am super happy with it.

I have duel gfci under tank my apex plugged into one and a mp10 and heater with rancho controller plugged into the other. Would definitely do a similar setup on my larger system when I set them up.

Matt

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here where I live it's mandatory by law to have a GFCI right before the main breakers.
That said, one thing to consider is UPS vs. GFCI -> If you run a UPS downstream of the GFCI, then even if the GFCI trips, most of the UPS'es will be happy to supply power through your body, till it discharges. So this is one reason I'd seriously advise against using conventional UPS-es to power/back up tanks, where there is elevated chances for broken wires and whatnot. A grounding probe might help in this situation, as it will probably give a less resistant path than your body, but it's still playing your luck.

Last edited:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFCI and ground probes. You can split on multiple GFCI but yeah,I think they're required.

Breakers and fuses protect your house, GFCI protect you and livestock.

Remember though that GFCI require maintenance and the can age quickly so need to be tested often. If it's behind your tank and inaccessible that isn't optimal.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember though that GFCI require maintenance and the can age quickly so need to be tested often. If it's behind your tank and inaccessible that isn't optimal.

that’s a great point that people forget about

Matt

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for R2R guru @Brew12
If I have 2 separate GFCI’s is the following plan ok?
1st: only the return pump and heater(titanium 3 prong)
2nd: all other equipment

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for R2R guru @Brew12
If I have 2 separate GFCI’s is the following plan ok?
1st: only the return pump and heater(titanium 3 prong)
2nd: all other equipment
I would put the return pump on a separate circuit from the heater. Then, if you have multiple power heads, split those between the circuits, also.

The heater seems to be the most likely device to fail, and the return pump is critical in my system. I don't keep them together.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if your Apex happens to fail and your tank is without power overnight, everything will be dead. Save for a few Inverts.

I agree on the grounding probe for sure and everyone will have to wager what they are or aren't willing to risk themselves. For me I'll be running an external return pump so the odds of stray voltage from it entering the tank are slim to none so it gets a regular outlet with other water proofing measures, everything else, definitely a GFCI. Obviously everyone's setup is different so it's all a matter of taking other things into consideration.

I will add that not everyone has the luxury to have this option and I fully understand that, just presenting sorted the best scenario. You could run a dual outlet setup, one outlet standard and the other GFCI. All you would need to do is wire in the supply line to the first regular outlet then pigtail into the GFCI for a total of 4 outlets in the box (yes you would need a larger dual plug receptacle box). But this would give you the best of both worlds. If something trips the GFCI it will kill the power to itself and any other outlets down stream of it. BUT your other outlet upstream eventhough it's right next to it will keep on trucking....
The Apex power monitoring is cloud based. If the Apex fails, you get notified.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly we need to consider whether their is any significant evidence that people have been killed by their aquariums :). Or is it just a scare tactic promoted by GFCI makers?!?! GFCI circuits can’t melt steel beams!
Yes, there are threads on hobbyist dying. More so houses burning down. If there is water within ten feet of an outlet it should have a GFCI protected circuit.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are threads on hobbyist dying. More so houses burning down. If there is water within ten feet of an outlet it should have a GFCI protected circuit.

There are multiple threads on hobbyists dying? To getting shocked? Forgive me for my ignorance, but I’ve been on forums for years and have yet to see one. Google doesn’t show anything either, besides a clickbait Wordpress article.

Have any links to threads you are referring to? ;Bored

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would not have a tank on a non protected circuit. If you are concerned about a GFCI outlet tripping, use a GFCI circuit breaker. They are far more robust, yet just as effective and easy to install. Cost about $40.

On my system I wired two dedicated circuits, both on GFCI breakers. I also have a grounding probe in the display and the sump. My system is also on a battery back up with an automatic transfer switch.

Here is my setup. There's also a link to a dead electrocuted hobbyist and further reading about GFCI and Grounding Probes.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the return pump on a separate circuit from the heater. Then, if you have multiple power heads, split those between the circuits, also.

The heater seems to be the most likely device to fail, and the return pump is critical in my system. I don't keep them together.
Thank you so much!

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple threads on hobbyists dying? To getting shocked? Forgive me for my ignorance, but I’ve been on forums for years and have yet to see one. Google doesn’t show anything either, besides a clickbait Wordpress article.

Have any links to threads you are referring to? ;Bored

A WordPress article from an electrical engineer.

Electrocuted to death from aquarium.

Burned up house from an aquarium electrical strip.

A news report covering aquarium fires.

Maybe we don't hear more about aquarium related deaths from posters because..... They're dead.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we don't hear more about aquarium related deaths from posters because..... They're dead.

Yes, I saw that one in your thread. Tragedy.

So is the risk of dying from electrical shock in your aquarium more or less than the risk of dying via palytoxin?

I always encourage logic. One in 600 people die in a car crash. Still, I doubt you walk to the supermarket.

I’m not discouraging GFCI. I’m asking that we don’t fear monger :)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I am aware of. I'm guessing it is a manufacturing issue.

Well I have two 40 watt pentairs running on the newly installed GFCI, seems to be working properly.

A WordPress article from an electrical engineer.

Burned up house from an aquarium electrical strip.

A news report covering aquarium fires.

This is scary stuff, just installed GFCI portable outlets on all my tanks. Thanks for the post!

Question, are all three prong powerstrips grounded? ie. can I plug in a grounding probe into a three prong powerstrip?

Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have two 40 watt pentairs running on the newly installed GFCI, seems to be working properly.

This is scary stuff, just installed GFCI portable outlets on all my tanks. Thanks for the post!

Question, are all three prong powerstrips grounded? ie. can I plug in a grounding probe into a three prong powerstrip?

Thanks!
As long as you don't buy some crazy cheap off brand it should be just fine. I know that quite a few years ago some powerstrips came from China without any actual connections to the ground but that is a very unusual situation. And no, the switch doesn't disconnect the ground so it will work even if the power strip is turned off.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex power monitoring is cloud based. If the Apex fails, you get notified.

Once again this is assuming you can do something about the notification. If you happen to be away or heck even asleep at home, a notification isn't going to wake you up and your tank could go all night with no power. Now there are ways around that with battery backups and such, either way Smart planning is what it's all about. Risks, whether they are actually present or not are at the end of the day the responsibility of the Hobbyist. And everyone's going to have a different viewpoint on acceptable risk.

Nothing wrong with going the safe route with things, as I said before, my return pump will be on a non-GFCI outlet. But it's an external pump so the chance of voltage leaking from it into the aquarium is astronomically low. My heaters and lights however will absolutely be on a GFCI. Again, here I have assessed my own risk level and my power distribution plans reflect the risk level I'm willing to accept. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back