Gfo

  • Thread starter Thread starter ray72484
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ray72484

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Location
New Orleans, Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i was away from taking care of my tank for almost two months due to my som being in the hospital. I now have hair algae. A friend of mine gave me some GFO from BRS. He told me i have to rinse it before putting in my reactor. What does this mean and how do I do it. Apparently leaving my tank for two months i now have high phosphates. Thanks for the help
 
I put mine in the reactor and rinse it. I add gfo, turn the flow all the way up and put the pump in RO/DI water and run the dirty water into a bucket and throw it out.
 
so brs stuff can be a little tricky.
1. fill empty reactor up with appropriate amount of media
2 pour water from your tank into the reactor until the reactor is halfway full of water
3 then close the reactor
4get a bucket and place the reactor in your sump with the out of the reactor in the bucket you just grabbed.
5 rinse the media into the bucket until your reactor is pumping out clear water.
6 place the out of the reactor back into your sump.
your done
 
What reactor? If it's a BRS unit, mine are mounted on the outside of my sump, so I just unscrew the cylinder, take it into my laundry room tub, clean it, replace the media, and screw it back in place. I then take the discharge tube and place it in a small bucket and turn on the pump and let it run until it runs clear, this take about 1 to 1 1/2 gallons, then return the discharge tube to the sump. I do this when I'm doing a WC, so I'm not really losing any SW.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new