GHL Connect down for anyone else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA

Ok I am having a serious problem.

I disconnected the doser power and every time it reboots it is going to default settings, losing all my dosing settings and only allowing me to reconnect my laptop and reload my backup file. The GHL logo on the doser is solid red after boot up. I am getting an error message on my pc about default settings loading potentially due to a firmware update. (See pic)

After I discovered this problem I saved and reloaded a new backup and tested it again and it is doing the same thing. This is not good with power outages and I have a vacation coming up and I cannot rely on my house-sitter to fix this if the power goes out. Please help?

1505117A-7DD0-45F9-877A-254A6AC7E559.jpeg

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried reinstalling the firmware again, with no change. Is anyone else having this problem?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just tried reinstalling the firmware again, with no change. Is anyone else having this problem?
I haven't tried to download and install the latest firmware yet. I need to dust off the only PC laptop we have and see if that works? I'm an Apple guy, so I really hate touching PC's and find them to be a PITA to use. I do use the PC for my Seneye par meter, but that's really simple to use, no internet connection required. That's why locking people into a specific computer for connecting and installing firmware is such an archaic way of doing it. I honestly think that GHL would be much bigger if they didn't lock people in to using PC's and if they would change their software platform. @Potatohead I hope Vinny can get this resolved for you soon.

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried to download and install the latest firmware yet. I need to dust off the only PC laptop we have and see if that works? I'm an Apple guy, so I really hate touching PC's and find them to be a PITA to use. I do use the PC for my Seneye par meter, but that's really simple to use, no internet connection required. That's why locking people into a specific computer for connecting and installing firmware is such an archaic way of doing it. I honestly think that GHL would be much bigger if they didn't lock people in to using PC's and if they would change their software platform. @Potatohead I hope Vinny can get this resolved for you soon.

I wouldn't update until they get this sorted out, I don't believe this is a problem on my end since I reinstalled the firmware and have the same issue. I wonder if it is possible to install the previous version of the firmware, 1.38 or whatever it is?

I simply cannot have this issue when I go away in three weeks.

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't update until they get this sorted out, I don't believe this is a problem on my end since I reinstalled the firmware and have the same issue. I wonder if it is possible to install the previous version of the firmware, 1.38 or whatever it is?

I simply cannot have this issue when I go away in three weeks. I am *this* close to buying a different doser.
The problem that I have is that I’m unable to connect to, change dosing or to refill fluids, so I have to rely on the doser to keep things going. As far as another doser goes, I bought a Sentia dose (one primary and one secondary) for my nano build and I absolutely love it. It’s modular and the install, software use, notifications, etc are top notch and so easy to use from your phone or whatever device you prefer. I’m going to buy another set for my main tank. The fact that I can get notifications, alerts, update firmware, etc all from my phone is awesome (and should be a standard feature with all dosers). I wish I could keep my GHL going on my main tank, but at this point, I’m done waiting for them to catch up with the rest of the pack. It’s 2022, there’s no good reason why this doser can’t have the same feature set as all the other dosers available on the market. Especially considering it’s completely a software issue.

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem that I have is that I’m unable to connect to, change dosing or to refill fluids, so I have to rely on the doser to keep things going. As far as another doser goes, I bought a Sentia dose (one primary and one secondary) for my nano build and I absolutely love it. It’s modular and the install, software use, notifications, etc are top notch and so easy to use from your phone or whatever device you prefer. I’m going to buy another set for my main tank. The fact that I can get notifications, alerts, update firmware, etc all from my phone is awesome (and should be a standard feature with all dosers). I wish I could keep my GHL going on my main tank, but at this point, I’m done waiting for them to catch up with the rest of the pack. It’s 2022, there’s no good reason why this doser can’t have the same feature set as all the other dosers available on the market. Especially considering it’s completely a software issue.

I've been having connection issues for years. I could usually wait an hour or two and it would work again. Or, I could disconnect the power and it would sometimes work again, which is what I tried last night and how I discovered this new problem. I just tried to log in with myghl again (I'm at work)... And it's not connecting.

I really don't want to spend $600+ on another doser (Canada), and spend the time to set it all up, but I might not have a choice. If I can't trust this thing while I am away, or connect to it remotely, there is no point in having it.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been having connection issues for years. I could usually wait an hour or two and it would work again. Or, I could disconnect the power and it would sometimes work again, which is what I tried last night and how I discovered this new problem. I just tried to log in with myghl again (I'm at work)... And it's not connecting.

I really don't want to spend $600+ on another doser (Canada), and spend the time to set it all up, but I might not have a choice. If I can't trust this thing while I am away, or connect to it remotely, there is no point in having it.
I totally get it. Unfortunately, I don’t think GHL will overhaul their software any time soon. I really hope they can resolve your issue soon though. Good luck!

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just updated the firmware on my doser and my prof 3. I had to remove the prof from my ghl and re add it to connect. The doser worked fine. Maybe try that, also make sure that you re enabled the my ghl section, as I noticed that that was turned off by default.

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just updated the firmware on my doser and my prof 3. I had to remove the prof from my ghl and re add it to connect. The doser worked fine. Maybe try that, also make sure that you re enabled the my ghl section, as I noticed that that was turned off by default.

That sounds like it might help wireless connectivity but I don't think it will help the problem after power disconnect.

Vinny told me to send a ticket in to GHL, so I did.

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have an update to bring this full circle, for hopefully the last time.

After spending several hours on this last night we didn’t make any progress. I was starting to suspect hardware failure when today Vinny suggested uploading an older firmware file just to see what happened. Admittedly I should have done this to begin with but I didn’t realize there were more firmware options and you could go backwards.

So I went back to 1.4, and the doser started remembering settings once it was powered off and back on. So that was progress, but the wifi still wouldn’t connect. So I tried 1.39 and 1.38, same thing. So I went back to 1.35, and it all worked! So then I went back up to 1.38,39,40,41 testing both previous problems all along the way, and it all still works! I am stoked.

So either I have some failing hardware that magically started working again at the right time (very doubtful) or my original jump in firmware was simply too great and caused some problems (very likely). I bought the doser in spring of 2017 and it has never been updated. So going back to 1.35 and working my way back up to 1.41 seems to have done the trick.

Thank you to Vinny and GHL for helping me thoroughly even though I only own one doser that is well out of warranty. This was in no way their fault and they went the extra mile.

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally threw out my GHL Doser 2 after this. If anybody wants it, I am selling one with Temp probe and replaced super capacitor in Germany. I just cannot stand their exceptionally bad software anymore.

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally threw out my GHL Doser 2 after this. If anybody wants it, I am selling one with Temp probe and replaced super capacitor in Germany. I just cannot stand their exceptionally bad software anymore.

Did you read my last post? If you had the same problem as me in the OP, it's worth trying out.

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read my last post? If you had the same problem as me in the OP, it's worth trying out.
Yep I did. Was an owner of GHL products probably since the beginning of my reefing time ... German engineering ftw. Their software was always bad. Buggy, laggy or not working at all. Could not connect for weeks on end to their devices ergo was unable to adjust things (not just now ob over the years) so I had to dose manually and the list goes on. Cannot even update anymore since they refuse to release a macOS updater and their windows software hardly works with emulators and my last windows PC broke 2 years ago. This outage made me pull the trigger and this thing is on eBay now. I am from Germany and I am even a Software Dev here trying to better German software engineering so I know how German engineers like to develop software. Better keep my hands off such products lol

Oiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be swapping out all my GHL stuff, the costumer service is terrible and powerbar and doser wen't down after 1year ish use. And yeah so many times I can't connect to my SA dosers or Profilux.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back