GHL KH Director Review

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

Figured I'd give some feedback on the GHL KH Director. I've had it up and running for 6 months. It's been a bumpy road, but ultimately I'm very pleased and it is working to perfection. Here are a few noteworthy items I experienced on my journey to getting the KH director up, running, and ultimately working accurately.

First off, the software for setting up the KH Director is complicated. There's no way around it. It's a bit shaky in terms of reliability (sometimes the computer doesn't connect to the KH Director, or it takes multiple tries). If you're not tech savvy, and don't have a lot of patience, I would caution you in purchasing the KH Director. You need to set up the software, calibrate each doing head, measure the length of tubing, diameter, etc. All very doable, but a lot of steps. However, GHL was (somewhat) responsive and helpful when I called with questions.

I purchased a KH Director online, and apparently it was an older one that had been sitting on the shelf for a while. If you purchase a KH Director, I would strongly recommend confirming the build date, then confirm with GHL that it was built after they made improvements. There were some manufacturing flaws which caused a bunch of headache - ultimately they were solved, but it took time, frustration, and effort.

The older models had incorrect tubing for the reagent fluid - both internal tubing in the unit (which caused the tubing to get stuck and the unit would not work) and external tubing, which caused the reagent line to get air bubbles. GHL ultimately sent the correct tubing after a few weeks/months. If you have an older unit that has the incorrect tubing, you need to take apart the KH Director and replace the tubing. GHL has a good instruction packet to explain how to do this, but it's a pain.

Prior to replacing the internal tubing, the KH Director didn't work at all. The reagent line would pop off because the pressure of the incorrect tubing would case it to get stuck closed. After replacing the internal tubing, the KH Director worked, but the readings were very volatile (off by +/- 2.0 dKH when testing one right after another). This was due to air getting into the external reagent tubing. Due to the fact that these readings were so far off, I strongly recommend NOT using the auto-adjusting dosing feature based upon the dKH reading initially.

That said, once I replaced the external reagent tubing, the air bubbles went away and it is reading within +/- 0.1 dKH on any reading - very very precise IMO, and makes me more comfortable using the auto-adjusting dosing feature.

Another thing I had problems with was calibrating the pH electrode - my computer and smart phone both would not stay connected to the KH Director, so it forced me to plug my computer in directly, which caused my to have to unplug the KH Director, tubing, etc any time I wanted to adjust something. I was told this was a network error on my end, but even when I plugged it into the LAN it had this same problem. So I was forced to unplug the KH Director constantly when setting it up - very frustrating. Oddly enough, I have not had this problem recently and have been able to control the KH Director and calibrate the pH probe through wireless. So it could indeed be my network, but I would've hoped this wasn't a problem, I hope it doesn't happen again, and I don't have any problems with any other wireless units (Apex, Ecosmart Live, etc etc).

Last issue I had was one of the dosing heads was locking up and wouldn't move (This was a slave doser, so not the KH Director). I talked to GHL and they sent me a new set of caps for all the dosing heads. I replaced the cap and it worked (after having to buy a special tool from Home Depot for $12...).

All in all, once I got everything up and running and replaced numerous parts, I am extremely pleased with this unit. There was certainly some headache in setting it up, but once I got all the right parts, it is working like a charm. Like I said, consistently reading with +/- 0.1 dKH.

Hope this helps anyone that might be interested in buying the GHL KH Director.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been similar. I went through the same 'bumps' as you but now it is working very well. GHL customer support has been very helpful throughout the process.

With your dosing heads locking up...would they work at slow speeds but lock up at full speed, or lock up at all speeds?

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been similar. I went through the same 'bumps' as you but now it is working very well. GHL customer support has been very helpful throughout the process.

With your dosing heads locking up...would they work at slow speeds but lock up at full speed, or lock up at all speeds?
I didn't try that specific head on different speeds, only the fastest. I will say that when I took the cap off, it was very dirty with what looked to be grease inside of it. I ended up ordering a whole replacement dosing head maintenance pack and replaced all the pieces on that head. I cleaned it out and it is working fine. If you're having the same issue, I would encourage taking the blue cap off and look in there to see if it is dirty at all. Oddly, this was the only head that was dirty. All others were clean and did not need replacement. So 6 months in I've spent about another $40 more on this than anticipated, but like I said in the initial post, I am very pleased with it at this point.

FernandesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your review, as a huge GHL fan boy (despite the fact that I have not owned a piece of their equipment......yet[emoji51]) I find this review very helpful.
From what I have read most Of GHL equipment takes time and patience to set up, but like you said, once it’s up and running it’s sweeeet!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of the GHL dosers but this is a problem. And it does happen at all speeds. I've had it happen on the slowest and fastest speeds. When the heads lock up it sounds like an alarm going off some times. Not sure I would trust anything else in on the market but I always keep at least 2 spare heads ready to change out at all times. The newest design lasts a lot longer than the early pump heads but they still do fail.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

Figured I'd give some feedback on the GHL KH Director. I've had it up and running for 6 months. It's been a bumpy road, but ultimately I'm very pleased and it is working to perfection. Here are a few noteworthy items I experienced on my journey to getting the KH director up, running, and ultimately working accurately.

First off, the software for setting up the KH Director is complicated. There's no way around it. It's a bit shaky in terms of reliability (sometimes the computer doesn't connect to the KH Director, or it takes multiple tries). If you're not tech savvy, and don't have a lot of patience, I would caution you in purchasing the KH Director. You need to set up the software, calibrate each doing head, measure the length of tubing, diameter, etc. All very doable, but a lot of steps. However, GHL was (somewhat) responsive and helpful when I called with questions.

I purchased a KH Director online, and apparently it was an older one that had been sitting on the shelf for a while. If you purchase a KH Director, I would strongly recommend confirming the build date, then confirm with GHL that it was built after they made improvements. There were some manufacturing flaws which caused a bunch of headache - ultimately they were solved, but it took time, frustration, and effort.

The older models had incorrect tubing for the reagent fluid - both internal tubing in the unit (which caused the tubing to get stuck and the unit would not work) and external tubing, which caused the reagent line to get air bubbles. GHL ultimately sent the correct tubing after a few weeks/months. If you have an older unit that has the incorrect tubing, you need to take apart the KH Director and replace the tubing. GHL has a good instruction packet to explain how to do this, but it's a pain.

Prior to replacing the internal tubing, the KH Director didn't work at all. The reagent line would pop off because the pressure of the incorrect tubing would case it to get stuck closed. After replacing the internal tubing, the KH Director worked, but the readings were very volatile (off by +/- 2.0 dKH when testing one right after another). This was due to air getting into the external reagent tubing. Due to the fact that these readings were so far off, I strongly recommend NOT using the auto-adjusting dosing feature based upon the dKH reading initially.

That said, once I replaced the external reagent tubing, the air bubbles went away and it is reading within +/- 0.1 dKH on any reading - very very precise IMO, and makes me more comfortable using the auto-adjusting dosing feature.

Another thing I had problems with was calibrating the pH electrode - my computer and smart phone both would not stay connected to the KH Director, so it forced me to plug my computer in directly, which caused my to have to unplug the KH Director, tubing, etc any time I wanted to adjust something. I was told this was a network error on my end, but even when I plugged it into the LAN it had this same problem. So I was forced to unplug the KH Director constantly when setting it up - very frustrating. Oddly enough, I have not had this problem recently and have been able to control the KH Director and calibrate the pH probe through wireless. So it could indeed be my network, but I would've hoped this wasn't a problem, I hope it doesn't happen again, and I don't have any problems with any other wireless units (Apex, Ecosmart Live, etc etc).

Last issue I had was one of the dosing heads was locking up and wouldn't move (This was a slave doser, so not the KH Director). I talked to GHL and they sent me a new set of caps for all the dosing heads. I replaced the cap and it worked (after having to buy a special tool from Home Depot for $12...).

All in all, once I got everything up and running and replaced numerous parts, I am extremely pleased with this unit. There was certainly some headache in setting it up, but once I got all the right parts, it is working like a charm. Like I said, consistently reading with +/- 0.1 dKH.

Hope this helps anyone that might be interested in buying the GHL KH Director.

This is a very interesting thread and post.
Thank you for that.
I believe since then, GHL made several upgrades to the firmware and the connectivity was improved a lot.

The final readings and tolerance of +/- 0.1dKH persuades me to go this route as well.

I have one question which I hope you can help me with. Kind of practical...
What is the length of the wire of the pH probe? (length between end of probe and connector?)
On the pictures it seems to be about 2ft.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cable is 24-25” long from the BNC connector to the edge of the probe.

I have s spare one here the picture, hope it answers your question :)

8DF3A403-8A4A-444D-A46D-B5D73C11B693.jpeg

0B67FD9E-FD2E-4038-94D3-8C9118A71261.jpeg

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked mine up. How long does yours take to measure a sample start to finish? Mine seems to take a really long time 20 minutes+.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked mine up. How long does yours take to measure a sample start to finish? Mine seems to take a really long time 20 minutes+.

Mine usually takes 13 to 17 mins. 15 mins is a good number. You can watch the ph probe value dropping. It needs to get down to somewhere below 4.5. The acid "reagent" drops the sample volume ph until it reaches a specific number, I think it's 4.5 ish, and then the kh director calculates the dkh from the amount of acid added.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Just picked up a P4 and KHD,so trying to figure everything out.

Awesome! Welcome to the club! You'll get used to the timing of the tester. Once you have it all set up and running awhile it's no big deal. You know when you schedule tests and will know when to check it. When running a one off test, I usually click the button and do something else for a bit, come back to get the number. I have it scheduled to test the tank 8x a day though, so I rarely run unscheduled tests.

Congrats on the new gear! You will love it once it's all set up and running like clockwork!

HigherStandards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me your build date? I'm currently looking to buy a used system and would like your date for reference of new build or old headache like you had.

Many thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that being said. 4 tests a day.....how does one keep adding saltwater so ATO doesnt keep replenishing the tank and dropping salinity. especially if they add ION director as well...400ml a day adds up
I discharge the water back into the tank so it doesn't cause me any problems. When I did discharge it into a separate container I never noticed the change. My skimmer pulls more water than the KH Director and I don't worry about adjusting for it, either.
I guess I could see it being an issue for a nano, but I'm not aware of anyone with a nano that uses a KH Director.

HigherStandards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that being said. 4 tests a day.....how does one keep adding saltwater so ATO doesnt keep replenishing the tank and dropping salinity. especially if they add ION director as well...400ml a day adds up

I use another Slave 2.0 doser for my Cal/mag/Ato and Salt water replenish for KH test sample loss. It's a little bit of work to get it all right especially when the house changes temps from winter/summer and vice versa.

It's been great with this method because it's also doing my AWC :)

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of the GHL dosers but this is a problem. And it does happen at all speeds. I've had it happen on the slowest and fastest speeds. When the heads lock up it sounds like an alarm going off some times. Not sure I would trust anything else in on the market but I always keep at least 2 spare heads ready to change out at all times. The newest design lasts a lot longer than the early pump heads but they still do fail.
when did they fix the issue ? what is the newest design(model number) ? i see 4 colors, of them

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back