GHL pH probe needs frequent calibration

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Reefer911
Someone suggested that you leave the pH probe in the 9 buffer and then shut off your return pump.

If you did and relayed that info, I missed it.

I imagine the person that suggested it is leaning toward the pH probe cable is receiving rfi interruption from the Flux coming from the return pump cable.

Definitely worth trying to at least rule it out.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Reefer911
Someone suggested that you leave the pH probe in the 9 buffer and then shut off your return pump.

If you did and relayed that info, I missed it.

I imagine the person that suggested it is leaning toward the pH probe cable is receiving rfi interruption from the Flux coming from the return pump cable.

Definitely worth trying to at least rule it out.
Thanks for checking in. I was going to do that this morning if my pH was still accurate but it wasn’t.
But this is where the probe always read wrong in the beginning, when I would turn off the pump. But I certainly can try that

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to check the probe location when I get home this evening
Did you get a chance to check the probe location? This is important. Others have plugged the ph probe into what they thought was a second ph location, which it is but that location needs to be configured for ph. It comes from the factory configured for Redox. If it is plugged into the proper ph location you need to check that that location is configured correctly for ph. ph probe should be connected to the second BNC connection from the left labeled PH/Redox. I can show you how to verify this if your not sure how too.
Screenshot_20231010_135929_GHL Connect.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still at work so I haven’t had the chance to check.
However, I remember reconfiguring from redox to pH when I installed the probe. I will double check though

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still at work so I haven’t had the chance to check.
However, I remember reconfiguring from redox to pH when I installed the probe. I will double check though
Sorry to keep bothering you but now I am confused. Are you running 2 ph probes and not a Redox probe? Running 2 ph probes is the only reason you would of had to configure the BNC connector unless someone did not do their job in Germany. PH/Redox BNC is for PH ( second from the left BNC ) and Redox/PH BNC is for the Redox probe ( third from the left ). This is how they should come configured from the factory.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yeah it’s in the third position. I remember just picking a slot since they both were labeled pH
So, to verify the circuit is not faulty I would shift the ph probe to the second BNC labeled PH/Redox, Calibrate and give it a try and see if the issue goes away. Ensure that PH is selected and not Redox, set calibration tolerance to 1 due to new probe and ensure calibration value 7.00 and 9.00 are entered. I am sure you know this but just a reminder.
Also what filter position are you running. I have mine set to 5 ( medium ).

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok the skimmer calmed down quite a bit overnight

After calibration, the probe read 10.50 while still in the 9.0 fluid. I placed the probe in its slot in the sump and it held at 10.50. On the ProfiLux, I made sure that position two in the back was selected for pH, and going through the various options under sensor settings, I selected “op. acc. Value” or whatever the abbreviations are. Once I selected that, it showed the pH value of 10.50 and went back to the main display automatically, but then started switching back and forth to 3.0 and 10.50. Last I saw it settled on 3.0

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok the skimmer calmed down quite a bit overnight

After calibration, the probe read 10.50 while still in the 9.0 fluid. I placed the probe in its slot in the sump and it held at 10.50. On the ProfiLux, I made sure that position two in the back was selected for pH, and going through the various options under sensor settings, I selected “op. acc. Value” or whatever the abbreviations are. Once I selected that, it showed the pH value of 10.50 and went back to the main display automatically, but then started switching back and forth to 3.0 and 10.50. Last I saw it settled on 3.0
The 10.50 and 3.0 are the min and max PH that the P4 can display. One of two things is bad. Either the probe or the P4 electronic circuit. Did you get this 10.50 and 3.0 value when the probe was in the 3rd BNC? If not, then either there is a circuit issue or settings issue during calibration. I am leaning towards a circuit issue for the 2nd BNC because I can't see how you are doing the calibration so I have to assume you are doing it correctly. This is very interesting to say the least.
Hopefully I am wrong and when you get your new PH probe I would try to calibrate it plugged into the 2nd BNC and if you get the 10.50 and 3.0 issue then move it to the 3rd BNC. If it calibrates then you have determined that the 2nd BNC circuit is bad. If your P4 is less than a year old I would submit a ticket asking for a new module or P4.

Do you have a Redox probe that came with your system?

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember if I have a redox probe but I also don’t remember missing anything. I bought the P4 from someone on R2R so I’m sure GHL won’t warranty anything on the unit itself.

Ok I will try that with the new probe in the third slot when it comes in.

Interesting for sure.

I really appreciate the help!

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember if I have a redox probe but I also don’t remember missing anything. I bought the P4 from someone on R2R so I’m sure GHL won’t warranty anything on the unit itself.

Ok I will try that with the new probe in the third slot when it comes in.

Interesting for sure.

I really appreciate the help!
When the probe comes in I would calibrate both slots and see if both slots work or if one or both are bad.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to recalibrate the probe but got the same result with the reading being stuck at 10.50…this is in the #2 slot. I’m not sure the channel is bad because when I change the measurement range to redox, it gives me a reading even (I didn’t connect the orp probe though)

The pH probe will calibrate and seem to operate in the 3rd slot. This is where it has been from day one. So I’m confident the probe is bad. We will see though when I get the new probe

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back