OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if carbon takes out the stuff rust leaves behind. To be safe I would probably do a couple large water changes.
You would be correct, carbon is not super effective for heavy metals, but it's all I had on hand so I did what I could and now I'm out of state for a week. The struggles of having a traveling career and a reef tank ;Sour

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you may have found the problem. I hate those magnets for that very reason. They seem to do that more often than not.

How's that purple/blue gig doing? Any new photos?

Color is coming back! I’m actually in the process of moving it out of the cage and onto the rocks.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mix your mags and gigs in the same tank? Planning for the distant future [emoji23]

That’s actually in limbo at the moment. I had mags and gigs in the same tank, but the mags started declining in health. I moved the mags into another tank and have since moved a mag back in after running UV for a couple months to see if the issue still exists. Pending this mag before putting the rest of the mags in. [emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696]

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed one of my magnificas back in the same system (different aquarium, same water) with my giganteas and it started going downhill again. Recently it has been closing up a lot and has been expelling filaments. I ran UV on the tank for months and kept my mags in a different tank until I put this test mag in. Clearly something in the system is killing magnificas, but not effecting the giganteas as they continue to look fine. I didn’t think mags and gigs warred with each other, but now I’m starting to question that. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

@OrionN, I know you’ve had both in the same system before, have you had any issues like this??

57f06f25121847ce668db37e70cd463d.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed one of my magnificas back in the same system (different aquarium, same water) with my giganteas and it started going downhill again. Recently it has been closing up a lot and has been expelling filaments. I ran UV on the tank for months and kept my mags in a different tank until I put this test mag in. Clearly something in the system is killing magnificas, but not effecting the giganteas as they continue to look fine. I didn’t think mags and gigs warred with each other, but now I’m starting to question that. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

@OrionN, I know you’ve had both in the same system before, have you had any issues like this??

57f06f25121847ce668db37e70cd463d.jpg
I have all my Anemones together. No problem. They are even on the same rock and touch each other for years.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet Gig’em. Love the color now. Going into antibiotics? I’m thinking of turning my new tank into an Anemone tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a new mag today, pretty bleached, but this thing glows fluorescent through and through! Hoping it recovers well and I can’t wait to see what it looks like when it recovers
35366adb2531573d4b93e2e952a1b203.jpg
Very nice. I can’t wait to see what he is like once healthy.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a new mag today, pretty bleached, but this thing glows fluorescent through and through! Hoping it recovers well and I can’t wait to see what it looks like when it recovers
35366adb2531573d4b93e2e952a1b203.jpg
WOW...if that's bleached, what's its true color?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49B7BC81-21EA-4458-B06B-1CF53205EE3F.jpeg

Here is a picture of my Mag and Gig. They are on the same rock forever. Both doing great

I have re-introduced my mags back into the same system with the gigs. So far so good! They’re currently in separate tanks that are connected with a shared sump and I have UV running in the sump to be safe, but it’s been about 2 months and no problems, so I think whatever had caused issues before is now gone. Thanks for the reassurance!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back