Gigas Grow Out Thread

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
February I celebrated 12 years with my Gigas. It makes me sick to think what I have put it through in that time. Sand bed removal, fish eating it, Alk spikes, neglect, flatworm treatments, redbug treatments, many spawning events, home AC going out in the middle of August in South Texas, and finally a tank upgrade which was the closest I have come to losing her. The mantle actually started the retraction death spiral of no return. I really can't believe she is still around. It shows how hardy these creatures can be. Growth pattern has changed since the stressfully move 3 years ago, from a linear to a vertical growth. It is now 31"long X 20" deep X 17" tall.
IMG_20200321_192232422.jpg

2" new vertical growth
IMG_20200308_110632279.jpg

Mrxia0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be an awesome specimen to have :). Have you ever weighed it?

Last edited:

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely awesome. I am setting up a new tank. it is going to be sps and clams. Your tank is certainly an inspiration

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be an awesome specimen to have :). Have you ever weighed it?

Thank you! When we moved it to the new system 3 years ago we guesstimated its weight around 120ish lbs. That is based upon the water displacement volume, us lifting it, and the Waikiki Aquarium's Gigas when they weighed it around the same size as mine.

Mrxia0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! When we moved it to the new system 3 years ago we guesstimated its weight around 120ish lbs. That is based upon the water displacement volume, us lifting it, and the Waikiki Aquarium's Gigas when they weighed it around the same size as mine.
Dang what a beast!

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to let everyone that has not seen great growth know that it may not be your water or lack of knowledge. It may simply be the clam. The gigas on the lower right i bought in July 2019. The smaller on at the top i bought in August one month later. They were basically the same size. They have sat next to another for 8 months now. The smaller one opens every day just no real growth. The large one opens every day and grows twice as fast. The colors are really different. I see no reason for them to not grow at the same rate.

20200329_094247.jpg

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to let everyone that has not seen great growth know that it may not be your water or lack of knowledge. It may simply be the clam. The gigas on the lower right i bought in July 2019. The smaller on at the top i bought in August one month later. They were basically the same size. They have sat next to another for 8 months now. The smaller one opens every day just no real growth. The large one opens every day and grows twice as fast. The colors are really different. I see no reason for them to not grow at the same rate.

20200329_094247.jpg
Three!? Haha! That’s awesome

B0brobert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200329_094247.jpg
See this articles by Jame W. Fatherree about growth of Tridanas:

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200329_094247.jpg
Good point and it reminded me of that section of James book which I was beaten in posting!

For anyone sad about slower growth.... in time that slower growth is going to be an asset!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a couple of these clams back in February. Both in the same place under the same conditions. One has grown really well with about 1/2" of new shell growth. The second never grew and expired after about two months.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a couple of these clams back in February. Both in the same place under the same conditions. One has grown really well with about 1/2" of new shell growth. The second never grew and expired after about two months.

Sorry you lost one. I am surprised the other has grown so slowly, but eventually that will be a blessing!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back