Gigas or Deresa?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first clam today, sold to me as a Deresa clam. It has this beautiful golden pattern with the outline of iridescence, I’m not 100% certain of it being a Deresa though. I tried to look through the clam identification thread but still didn’t give me an answer, I’ll ask the experts now.
Deresa or Gigas?
466BAB4D-9CB2-47D8-80D7-674647819DF2.jpeg
E8B4C2F5-4948-4C5D-9000-34C2097FA37D.jpeg
D6B7132D-59E2-46A1-886D-CB3D882670F5.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - It was either this or a crocea, all of them looked blue when I was at the LFS so I picked the Deresa as I read about it being the easiest. I’m glad I went deresa as this is not even close to blue and is instead a vibrant gold.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, autocorrect, easy way to tell, derasa is smooth
Thankyou! I got so scared I had a clam that could’ve gotten 1-2 feet larger than I thought it would. If I can get this guy to thrive, I may just try one of the other guys, I hope to eventually work my way up to grabbing a gigas or squamosa but I’ll wait till I get a 6-8’ tank for a gigas.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks - It was either this or a crocea, all of them looked blue when I was at the LFS so I picked the Deresa as I read about it being the easiest. I’m glad I went deresa as this is not even close to blue and is instead a vibrant gold.
Good choice mate. If I couldn’t get this 2 years ago I would have tried for a blue squamosa.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou! I got so scared I had a clam that could’ve gotten 1-2 feet larger than I thought it would. If I can get this guy to thrive, I may just try one of the other guys, I hope to eventually work my way up to grabbing a gigas or squamosa but I’ll wait till I get a 6-8’ tank for a gigas.
I’ve seen some pretty big ones, I think it was 15-18 inches of shell

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some pretty big ones, I think it was 15-18 inches of shell
That’s a decent size, if I had it my way, I’d upgrade my nano to a 3’x2’x2’ tank (Probably a bit more height) and have the deresa as the main structure of “rockwork” however, my Griessinger Goby is stopping me from that idea as I don’t want to have 3 tanks running all at once.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s a decent size, if I had it my way, I’d upgrade my nano to a 3’x2’x2’ tank (Probably a bit more height) and have the deresa as the main structure of “rockwork” however, my Griessinger Goby is stopping me from that idea as I don’t want to have 3 tanks running all at once.
My Derasa is the centerpiece. Nxt will b a squamosa.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was like pls don’t trigger the clam. Lives dangerously. Lol
I hope once my clam is big enough that my griessingeri goby will do something similar haha

Also, how do you know it’s healthy and not got anything bad going on? I was told the reaction to light is the best way to know.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope once my clam is big enough that my griessingeri goby will do something similar haha

Also, how do you know it’s healthy and not got anything bad going on? I was told the reaction to light is the best way to know.

reaction really isn’t the best way, some species really don’t react at all, and most clams react less and less the longer they are in a high traffic area. My derasa don’t hardly react now even when touched.

white new growth is the only real way to tell how they are doing unless it’s far to late or there was a nipping fish or similar.

I have seen some massive derasa, Omaha zoo had some that must have been 16-24” easy as they dwarfed the 12” ones (measured not guessed) I donated to the local zoo.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reaction really isn’t the best way, some species really don’t react at all, and most clams react less and less the longer they are in a high traffic area. My derasa don’t hardly react now even when touched.

white new growth is the only real way to tell how they are doing unless it’s far to late or there was a nipping fish or similar.

I have seen some massive derasa, Omaha zoo had some that must have been 16-24” easy as they dwarfed the 12” ones (measured not guessed) I donated to the local zoo.
Thanks for the information!
Do you know how long it’ll be till I see the new growth? I assume first it’ll take a few weeks to acclimate to the lights (I have them set on acclimation, they started at 50% today and will gradually go up over the span of 14 days).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back