Gigas or Deresa?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a derasa it should be pretty fast. Week or two is a good guess. Take some good side pics with white light to compare in a week!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a derasa it should be pretty fast. Week or two is a good guess. Take some good side pics with white light to compare in a week!
Will do - My lights are heavier on white then they are with blues as I keep reading that clams prefer whites as the zooxanthellae in them reflects blue lighting

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do - My lights are heavier on white then they are with blues as I keep reading that clams prefer whites as the zooxanthellae in them reflects blue lighting

They do look better under white for sure since they don’t have fluorescence. I asked lighting guru Dana about the reflecting blue light and he said that was just a myth that gets circulated fyi.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look better under white for sure since they don’t have fluorescence. I asked lighting guru Dana about the reflecting blue light and he said that was just a myth that gets circulated fyi.
Thanks, I’ll bump the two colours up at the same time so I try keep this nice colour if need be then.
Here he is the next morning with natural sun hitting him, still no regrets going for deresa and not crocea.
A89603C7-4729-40F9-B9FB-1377538CB69C.jpeg
3E20CF96-4F17-4C87-B78A-0B225C726542.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if this is just my lighting coming on however are any of you able to tell if this is bleaching or not? also if this is a healthy specimen? I can't see any part of the mantle being pinched. my blenny might've gone at it but I did see something that looked like algae where the blenny nipped.
3F249C7D-228C-4D57-B246-04A0A3B7151F.jpeg
A5F6C495-A8EC-40C7-AB4C-BD8F2ECBFAA3.jpeg
DAECCCAC-B889-43D3-A024-3305E133C74F.jpeg
A4A26D4A-32B2-40C5-8206-7364C4640BDC.jpeg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantle looks good. The shell won’t bleach, and most of the time if you see color loss in the mantle it’s from too little light not too much. Clams just tend to close their shells when had enough light so they regulate over illumination that way. They will bleach with too little light as they consume the zoox for food, it’s a different mechanism than coral but mantle looks fine.

Watch the blenny, they sometimes get a taste for the mucus and can keep it from opening. If you don’t get full mantle extension that is probably why. Other then that it’s healthy

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantle looks good. The shell won’t bleach, and most of the time if you see color loss in the mantle it’s from too little light not too much. Clams just tend to close their shells when had enough light so they regulate over illumination that way. They will bleach with too little light as they consume the zoox for food, it’s a different mechanism than coral but mantle looks fine.

Watch the blenny, they sometimes get a taste for the mucus and can keep it from opening. If you don’t get full mantle extension that is probably why. Other then that it’s healthy
thankyou for the help I was a bit worried as it seemed like some colour loss but I guess that was just from light hitting it from both the window and above.
- Sorry for the late reply.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is today, I had a fish die and got told to leave it in there and just keep an eye on anything (Will do a water change tomorrow or today just in case).
image.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is today, I had a fish die and got told to leave it in there and just keep an eye on anything (Will do a water change tomorrow or today just in case).
take the dead fish out if you can, no reason to leave it decomposing in the tank, the asterina starfish might be annoying the clam

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I missed the dead fish thing, but definitely take it out. Whoever is telling you to leave it in has no clue what they're doing. Also, refresh our memories, what fish do you have in with the clam? It's mantle should be out quite a bit or at least fluted upwards, so the back half of the mantle that looks like it's receding is bothering me. Unless there's too much flow in that spot or something is bothering it (not the aquilonastra star), that looks like an issue to me. Have you checked for pyramid snails?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take the dead fish out if you can, no reason to leave it decomposing in the tank, the asterina starfish might be annoying the clam
Removed the fish earlier and annoyingly he remained like this and still is but lights are dimming which makes a bit more sense.
Yeah, I missed the dead fish thing, but definitely take it out. Whoever is telling you to leave it in has no clue what they're doing. Also, refresh our memories, what fish do you have in with the clam? It's mantle should be out quite a bit or at least fluted upwards, so the back half of the mantle that looks like it's receding is bothering me. Unless there's too much flow in that spot or something is bothering it (not the aquilonastra star), that looks like an issue to me. Have you checked for pyramid snails?
the fish I have in the tank are:
Yasha goby
Pinkstreak wrasse (Well- this is the fish that died)
Hectors goby
Acicularis Clown Goby
Griessinger Goby
Linear Blenny
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
Naoko Fairy Wrasse

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the clam mantle? Full extension?
Currently it’s lights out but still not full extension for the rest of the day (Most likely ticked off as I moved it twice the second time was in its final spot out of the heavy flow). I think the back of the mantle was due to heavy flow hitting it off the glass constantly.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would try a pair of harlequin shrimp to eat the asterina starfish. The starfish on the clam can irritate it and cause it to not open as much

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back