GNC BluRay led - first impressions

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Here is my first thoughts and initial impression of my recently purchased GNC BluRay led and SilverMoon Actinic 590 led bars (these bars come in different lengths). My new nano tank is yet to be filled with water, so cannot yet give more in-depth review. Perhaps I do that later this year.

GNC BluRay is Italian made product by GNC, a company which also produced the Sicce am366/466/650 series led's. I have been eying these since they out in 2017. I was trying to make up my mind between Giesemann Infinity, ATI powermodule, Lani (Triton) Pro led and GNC. I have had T5 before, I have tried MH briefly and Lani did not reply to queries even though I sent them two emails and tried to contact them via Facebook.

There were number of requirements I wanted from the light fixture;
  • preferred passive cooling (no noise and no fear of fans braking down)
  • even light coverage in large area (important for sps corals)
  • no disco ball effect (I dislike that)
  • sleek looking (enjoy well designed products)
  • good build quality with adequate heat dissipation (long life)
  • easy to maintenance (peace of mind)
  • would not heat the tank too much (temperature control during summer)
  • shimmer (love shimmer)
The GNC BluRay ticked the right boxes for me. Also I have not tired led's before and it fascinated me, as it is not as widely used fixture than, let's say Radions. What really sold me was the fast response form the GNC support team. I sent them lengthy email with lots of questions and they replied within few days.

There are some videos on YouTube and more information about user feedback on Italian reef forums (thanks @bubblemytip for the tip), however not so much in English. I used Google translator to read them and was convinced that the BluRay would be the choice for me.

Packaging:

I was impressed with the large package and the heavy duty cardboard makes it sturdy. Quite minimalistic. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of unboxing, however the fixtures had protective plastic film on the acrylic splash shield and foam protectors on every corner. All the wires and accessories were on a separate box. And have to mention, that the hanging kit is included, which seems to be a rarity these days. Included is also manual with easily understandable instructions.

IMG_4907 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

Build quality and looks:

BluRay is heavy and I love it! This thing weights 5,5 kg (12 lb) and the SilverMoon Actinic 590 led bars 700 grams (1.5 lb) each. The weight alone just makes these feel quality products. The BluRay size is 40 cm to 30cm to 4 cm (in inches 15.7 x 11.8 x 1.57) Finishing is very good and I am picky about these things :D Cables are quite soft and relatively easy to bend, which makes the hanging and hiding the wires easy. The main power connector has a screw and it attaches the cable so firmly, that it will not unplug accidentally. Acrylic splash cover is thick (1cm /0.39 inches) and gives the fixture slimmer and sleeker look. The overall design of the BluRay is quite ascetic and simple, even industrial, and have to say, I really like it.

IMG_4933 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

IMG_4923 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

IMG_4924 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

IMG_4929 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

LED's and spectrum

The idea behind the light is to use hundreds of low powered led's to generate even light coverage and to achieve long life for the fixture. The leds are dimmed in constant current. There have been interesting discussions in reef2reef if pwm dimming is harmful for coral health, so even though constant current dimming may be considered inferior dimming type, I do not mind this. The BluRay does not have a huge selection of led colours and maybe we can have good discussion about this topic. However I am convinced that the selection is sufficient as it is quite similar than the Sicce am366/466/650 series which have good reputation on coloring and growing corals. The reason I bought the Actinic led bar is to provide some violet light as well to fluoresce to corals further and to be able to crank up the white led's as well (more par).

BluRay is 130w, 588 low powered led's (12 000k, 450nm, 660nm)

SilverMoon Actinic 590 is 26w, 63 low powered led's (458nm and 405nm)

IMG_4939 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

plafoniera-gnc-bluray-spettro-luminoso by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

Functionality and controllability:

The BluRay is controlled through a wifi module and a web app which can be managed by any browser. There is no separate app to download. This can be a disappointment to many, however as I do not want to play with the settings that often, this may actually be a good thing. The fixtures could also be controlled by a separate controller box, but I did not buy that. The setup process via the web app was actually quite easy process and did not take that long. The web app can be little slow to respond, if making big changes. I have not tried to program the light yet, so cannot comment on that for now. The web app seems to be very simple to use and understand, which is a plus for me. The dimming is done in 5% increments and the led bars are on and off timer (separate dimming controller needed for controlling).

IMG_4936 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

Guarantee:

GNC offers 24 months guarantee out of the box and this can be further increased to 36 months when registering the products via their online store. I believe this is the industry's longest manufacturer guarantee on led lights.

Price:

These are not in any way cheap products, however quite comparable with other well known products. The BluRay is 849 euros, the Actinic light bars 179 euros a piece and the clamps to attach the bars were 24 euros per light bar. The hanging kit for the BluRay was included for the price and the Actinic bars include power supply as well.

If comparing to the EcoTech Radion XR30w G4pro (899 euros) + diffusor (79 euros) + hanging kit (50 euros) = 1029 euros, I do not think there is huge difference in price/w ratio.

Experience so far:

Have to say, that I am really impressed by the build quality. These just feel that they are worth the cost. It something I was after and I feel I got it. There are some suggestions I could make to further improve the product, example the cable management , but that is nitpicking really (which I love to do btw). Cannot comment on the actual use yet, but will provide some updates later.

IMG_4947 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

IMG_4949 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

Last edited:
OP
OP
Helfish

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone can help me to figure out why the Flickr images are not showing?

Edit: Got it :D

Last edited:

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the fixture looks pretty slick. The bars and those clips however, do not help the aesthetics IMO and make the cord management appear to be an issue. I am interested to see how this set up works out for you. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
Helfish

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fixture looks pretty slick. The bars and those clips however, do not help the aesthetics IMO and make the cord management appear to be an issue. I am interested to see how this set up works out for you. Thanks for posting.

The cord management with the led bars was tricky, however I was able to adjust them so that they are not visible form the front side. In the left side they more pronounced though. The BluRay itself is very sleek and I agree with you that the bars take that sleekness away a little. They do have a function though, as the bars can be adjusted with the clamps. Hopefully it is possible to provide more light sideways to the corals and combat the shadowing issues many led's seem to have.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Here is my first thoughts and initial impression of my recently purchased GNC BluRay led and SilverMoon Actinic 590 led bars (these bars come in different lengths). My new nano tank is yet to be filled with water, so cannot yet give more in-depth review. Perhaps I do that later this year.

GNC BluRay is Italian made product by GNC, a company which also produced the Sicce am366/466/650 series led's. I have been eying these since they out in 2017. I was trying to make up my mind between Giesemann Infinity, ATI powermodule, Lani (Triton) Pro led and GNC. I have had T5 before, I have tried MH briefly and Lani did not reply to queries even though I sent them two emails and tried to contact them via Facebook.

There were number of requirements I wanted from the light fixture;
  • preferred passive cooling (no noise and no fear of fans braking down)
  • even light coverage in large area (important for sps corals)
  • no disco ball effect (I dislike that)
  • sleek looking (enjoy well designed products)
  • good build quality with adequate heat dissipation (long life)
  • easy to maintenance (peace of mind)
  • would not heat the tank too much (temperature control during summer)
  • shimmer (love shimmer)
The GNC BluRay ticked the right boxes for me. Also I have not tired led's before and it fascinated me, as it is not as widely used fixture than, let's say Radions. What really sold me was the fast response form the GNC support team. I sent them lengthy email with lots of questions and they replied within few days.

There are some videos on YouTube and more information about user feedback on Italian reef forums (thanks @bubblemytip for the tip), however not so much in English. I used Google translator to read them and was convinced that the BluRay would be the choice for me.

Packaging:

I was impressed with the large package and the heavy duty cardboard makes it sturdy. Quite minimalistic. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of unboxing, however the fixtures had protective plastic film on the acrylic splash shield and foam protectors on every corner. All the wires and accessories were on a separate box. And have to mention, that the hanging kit is included, which seems to be a rarity these days. Included is also manual with easily understandable instructions.

IMG_4907 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

Build quality and looks:

BluRay is heavy and I love it! This thing weights 5,5 kg (12 lb) and the SilverMoon Actinic 590 led bars 700 grams (1.5 lb) each. The weight alone just makes these feel quality products. The BluRay size is 40 cm to 30cm to 4 cm (in inches 15.7 x 11.8 x 1.57) Finishing is very good and I am picky about these things :D Cables are quite soft and relatively easy to bend, which makes the hanging and hiding the wires easy. The main power connector has a screw and it attaches the cable so firmly, that it will not unplug accidentally. Acrylic splash cover is thick (1cm /0.39 inches) and gives the fixture slimmer and sleeker look. The overall design of the BluRay is quite ascetic and simple, even industrial, and have to say, I really like it.

IMG_4933 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

IMG_4923 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

IMG_4924 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

IMG_4929 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

LED's and spectrum

The idea behind the light is to use hundreds of low powered led's to generate even light coverage and to achieve long life for the fixture. The leds are dimmed in constant current. There have been interesting discussions in reef2reef if pwm dimming is harmful for coral health, so even though constant current dimming may be considered inferior dimming type, I do not mind this. The BluRay does not have a huge selection of led colours and maybe we can have good discussion about this topic. However I am convinced that the selection is sufficient as it is quite similar than the Sicce am366/466/650 series which have good reputation on coloring and growing corals. The reason I bought the Actinic led bar is to provide some violet light as well to fluoresce to corals further and to be able to crank up the white led's as well (more par).

BluRay is 130w, 588 low powered led's (12 000k, 450nm, 660nm)

SilverMoon Actinic 590 is 26w, 63 low powered led's (458nm and 405nm)

IMG_4939 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

plafoniera-gnc-bluray-spettro-luminoso by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

Functionality and controllability:

The BluRay is controlled through a wifi module and a web app which can be managed by any browser. There is no separate app to download. This can be a disappointment to many, however as I do not want to play with the settings that often, this may actually be a good thing. The fixtures could also be controlled by a separate controller box, but I did not buy that. The setup process via the web app was actually quite easy process and did not take that long. The web app can be little slow to respond, if making big changes. I have not tried to program the light yet, so cannot comment on that for now. The web app seems to be very simple to use and understand, which is a plus for me. The dimming is done in 5% increments and the led bars are on and off timer (separate dimming controller needed for controlling).

IMG_4936 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

Guarantee:

GNC offers 24 months guarantee out of the box and this can be further increased to 36 months when registering the products via their online store. I believe this is the industry's longest manufacturer guarantee on led lights.

Price:

These are not in any way cheap products, however quite comparable with other well known products. The BluRay is 849 euros, the Actinic light bars 179 euros a piece and the clamps to attach the bars were 24 euros per light bar. The hanging kit for the BluRay was included for the price and the Actinic bars include power supply as well.

If comparing to the EcoTech Radion XR30w G4pro (899 euros) + diffusor (79 euros) + hanging kit (50 euros) = 1029 euros, I do not think there is huge difference in price/w ratio.

Experience so far:

Have to say, that I am really impressed by the build quality. These just feel that they are worth the cost. It something I was after and I feel I got it. There are some suggestions I could make to further improve the product, example the cable management , but that is nitpicking really (which I love to do btw). Cannot comment on the actual use yet, but will provide some updates later.

IMG_4947 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

IMG_4949 by Niko Sandbacka, on Flickr

Great write-up! Interested to see how you're finding them. I am still sold on my AM series with the silvermoon, but I have ordered a Bluray M for a frag tank I am planning. :)

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 3 Bluray since one year now and I can just say they are very powerful fixtures and I just love them.
Those fixtures are built to last and hell well made. Totally hermetic with rubber joint all around the fixture and also on the electric plug so no humidity at all can enter on the fixture.

upload_2019-7-3_7-51-7.png

upload_2019-7-3_7-52-11.png

upload_2019-7-3_7-20-59.png

Sunset picture
upload_2019-7-3_7-19-21.png

I do have all 3 fixtures are connected via the Hub Sync+ to be handled has a single one.

OP
OP
Helfish

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 3 Bluray since one year now and I can just say they are very powerful fixtures and I just love them.
Those fixtures are built to last and hell well made. Totally hermetic with rubber joint all around the fixture and also on the electric plug so no humidity at all can enter on the fixture.

I do have all 3 fixtures are connected via the Hub Sync+ to be handled has a single one.

Your setup is looking really nice, love it! What settings are you running them? I have read form the italian forums, that many are running them full blast, including the red channel.I have W 100 %, B 100 %, R 80 %. Really enjoy the white look during the day and the blue during the evening.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup is looking really nice, love it! What settings are you running them? I have read form the italian forums, that many are running them full blast, including the red channel.I have W 100 %, B 100 %, R 80 %. Really enjoy the white look during the day and the blue during the evening.
Thanks ;) I read also the Italian forums but I cannot even think to run all my 3 fixtures at full blast where did you read that ? o_O
I started using same settings from @Peppe which I think was a good start when you look at his tank. I think he is still using same percentage today (100 blue, 60 white & 20 red).
On my side, once I got in hand a Apogee MQ-210 PAR meter I change then to 100 blue, 30 white and 10 red which is giving me around 250/300 PAR at middle deep of the tank.

OP
OP
Helfish

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys; has anyone ever measured the par emitted by the gnc bluray?
Have searched with google, but have not found any par readings, except the chart which is in the GNC's website (which is not any good). I believe real life measurements would be extremely important as it would give us more data how these fixtures truly perform and how powerful these are.

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have searched with google, but have not found any par readings, except the chart which is in the GNC's website (which is not any good). I believe real life measurements would be extremely important as it would give us more data how these fixtures truly perform and how powerful these are.
These are My par levels; i measured them with seneye reef.

Attachments

• 87FB6028-1AD5-4FBB-826F-AD6F57D368B1.png
    87FB6028-1AD5-4FBB-826F-AD6F57D368B1.png
    1 MB · Views: 405
  • 41392FED-A0BC-4313-9FE9-D7BD61C8CE65.png
    41392FED-A0BC-4313-9FE9-D7BD61C8CE65.png
    1 MB · Views: 333
  • 5059DD1A-57C7-4A03-A0FA-18496E57F803.png
    5059DD1A-57C7-4A03-A0FA-18496E57F803.png
    1 MB · Views: 278

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kodo28 @Peppe I'm looking to try the Blue Ray Pros over my next build, I'm currently using 4 ATI Stratons. Curios how many lights for an 84LX33WX25T you would recommend for an SPS tank?

Thanks!

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kodo28 @Peppe I'm looking to try the Blue Ray Pros over my next build, I'm currently using 4 ATI Stratons. Curios how many lights for an 84LX33WX25T you would recommend for an SPS tank?

Thanks!
4 bluray pro for 84 length. 33 wide is very difficult to cover whit only Bluray pro. in my opinions you should add SilverMoon led bars

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 bluray pro for 84 length. 33 wide is very difficult to cover whit only Bluray pro. in my opinions you should add SilverMoon led bars

Thanks, i'm working with the US distributor to also obtain the stainless brackets as I need to mount them all directly to 8020. I'll see if they will price out the silvermoons also. I will have 2 A360X's for shimmer also.

I see you were looking to change lights? Any concerns with the Blue Rays? I really love my Stratons but I just like trying new gear.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back