Going fallow ell,ray ich update

Rueda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the ray to ich or velvet I'm guessing, the lone survivors are the snail, horseshoe crab, anemone and eel. They all are eating and showing no signs of any illness but I know the ich is still in there.

I'm going to go fallow and am wondering if I can leave the eel in there. My worry is I go the 72 days fallow and finally introduce a fish to discover the eel somehow carried the ich along the way.

I got a 10gal tank I can use as a QT but am afraid it may be to small for the eel and everyone else.

What suggestions do you guys have? Can the survivors stay in the tank as I go fallow?

Thanks

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An eel is a fish.

Though they're resistant to ich & velvet, they could still harbor it in their gills, so I'd remove the eel and treat with CP (Chloroquine Phosphate). If you're in the U.S., you'll need a Veterinarian's prescription for that drug, but eels are sensitive to copper, and don't do well in it.

The anemone, snail and horseshoe crab can stay in the display tank - they're not fish, and can only play host to non-feeding tomonts. Ich cannot complete its lifecycle with just those guys in there, so the eel is the only one you have to worry about QT'ing.

~Bruce

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately eel can carry ich/velvet. I recommend treating it with CP in QT to ensure the parasite is eradicated. 10 gallon might be a bit small for the eel for that long.
You would want to go fallow for 76 days to ensure the 72 day strain completed the life cycle.

The rest of the inverts can stay in the tank.
Best of luck :D

OP
OP
R

Rueda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An eel is a fish.

Though they're resistant to ich & velvet, they could still harbor it in their gills, so I'd remove the eel and treat with CP (Chloroquine Phosphate). If you're in the U.S., you'll need a Veterinarian's prescription for that drug, but eels are sensitive to copper, and don't do well in it.

The anemone, snail and horseshoe crab can stay in the display tank - they're not fish, and can only play host to non-feeding tomonts. Ich cannot complete its lifecycle with just those guys in there, so the eel is the only one you have to worry about QT'ing.

~Bruce

Im going to have to take the rock he stays in out to the 10 gal. he only sticks his head out when he is hungry, never comes out completely. Would be almost impossible to just take him out. which makes me wonder if bringing tha he rttick to QT would just bring that ich along.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend moving the rock with him and treating, LR are porous and might absorb the medication which might make it ineffective, and since there is no test kit for CP you will not know if you are at the therapeutic level or not. Also if you treated with CP in QT with LR you will have to dispose of LR as getting it back to the tank will most likely kill all the inverts as a result of CP leaching out. You can use other methods to provide hiding places like several PVC pipes, or anything thats not porous and tank safe.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing the rock to the QT will bring the ich ... but bringing the eel to the QT will bring the ich too, so that's a wash.

If you treat that rock with CP, I don't know whether you'll ever be able to use it in your display again with inverts. Could you create a structure of PVC piping that the eel can use in QT?

BTW - what kind of eel is this guy, and how big?

~Bruce

OP
OP
R

Rueda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how I am going to get him out. this is going to be an interesting catching experiment

I wouldn't recommend moving the rock with him and treating, LR are porous and might absorb the medication which might make it ineffective, and since there is no test kit for CP you will not know if you are at the therapeutic level or not. Also if you treated with CP in QT with LR you will have to dispose of LR as getting it back to the tank will most likely kill all the inverts as a result of CP leaching out. You can use other methods to provide hiding places like several PVC pipes, or anything thats not porous and tank safe.

OP
OP
R

Rueda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely will give that a try, rock is pretty darn big thou

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice already. :) Best of luck and I would certainly agree to not bringing the rock over to QT with the eel.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with above & advice already given

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back