Going to Extremes for the Hobby

appleton71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever done anything for the hobby that you normally wouldn't do?

I'm preparing to jump back into saltwater so I wanted to buy tanks for a salt mixing station. I found 125 gallon horizontal poly tanks on sale at the local farm supply store. Unfortunately, the closest store didn't have any so I drove 2 hours round trip to get them. I got them home, unloaded them from my trailer and looked at my back door. Then I looked at the tanks. Then I looked at the back door. Then I got my tape measure. Sure enough...the door was 1" too narrow for the tanks to fit through. So the sensible thing to do would have been to return the tanks and get smaller ones, right? That would be too easy! Instead I tore out the back door, frame and all along with one side jamb on the basement door to get the tanks in. I then spent the rest of the day reinstalling the door and trim.

Am I alone or are there other passionate (a.k.a. crazy) hobbyists out there?

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drove from the Bronx to Phillie to buy a used tank only to drop the tank bringing it upstairs.... wasn’t meant to be I felt something was going to happen since it was a hassle but for the hobby I pushed enough that I went picked it up but god took it out my hands I think he saved me future troubles since the stand and tank was not in the shape the person advertised for and showed in the pics

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we went and visited the family in Massachusetts every Christmas I always made it a point to pick up some small random fish or corals from Coral Reef America.
So I could say I had something from home.
It's only a 12 hour drive back to our home. And they did fine in the coolers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back