Goniopora (?!)

Joe del Rey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'll be honest, this is my first time having a Goniopora. I got this 5 days ago and everything seemed to work well... until I noticed something. (I'll ask a few questions later on).

1) This morning (around 7:30 in the morning), when I turned the light back on, I noticed my Goniopora is "ejecting" some cloudy-white substance from the encircled part of the image attached. What is it? Is my coral okay?

2) I am aware this is a Goniopora, but what specie exactly? I am quite confused doing a research because they almost looked identical (the closest one being G.stokesi).

3) Is it me or my coral is just fading colors? Any recommendations to bounce it back?

Thanks in advance.
20190427_091952_20190427105253312.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joe and welcome to R2R!

Someone should be along shortly who can help you out, I’m not sure myself but the coral looks healthy enough from the pictures

#reefsquad

OP
OP
Joe del Rey

Joe del Rey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joe and welcome to R2R!

Someone should be along shortly who can help you out, I’m not sure myself but the coral looks healthy enough from the pictures

#reefaquad
Thank you for responding :)
I'm quite at ease now knowing it's healthy (from your perspective). I'll still wait until someone answers all my questions :)

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is probably not ready yet for corals, especially one like Goniopora that has a very poor survival rate. It can seem to be ok for awhile, but then go down hill quickly.

OP
OP
Joe del Rey

Joe del Rey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is probably not ready yet for corals, especially one like Goniopora that has a very poor survival rate. It can seem to be ok for awhile, but then go down hill quickly.
I see (OMG I'm in a little panic RN) What should I do with it then? And how long should I wait till I actually add some more corals?

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you can’t return it, do you know anyone with an older tank that might try holding it for you?
Did a LFS tell you that this would be a good first coral?
IMO Goniopora is a very hard coral even for an experienced reefer with a mature tank. If someone HAD to try it, I’d only recommend an aquacultured frag (red/pink), not a ‘wild’ caught piece.

OP
OP
Joe del Rey

Joe del Rey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you can’t return it, do you know anyone with an older tank that might try holding it for you?
Did a LFS tell you that this would be a good first coral?
IMO Goniopora is a very hard coral even for an experienced reefer with a mature tank. If someone HAD to try it, I’d only recommend an aquacultured frag (red/pink), not a ‘wild’ caught piece.
A friend of mine actually gave it to me because he had tons of corals. I'll give it back to him for the mean time. Thank you for the advice :)

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost 50 yrs in the hobby, and speaking with thousands of other hobbyists on line and at swaps and LFSs, I can tell you that every newby, that has kept a damsel alive for a week, is thinking that his next fish will be a Moorish Idol! (Ok, maybe a little exaggerated)... but every tank is different, so you just have to watch your own tank. It’s good that you have a friend in the hobby, hopefully he can take a look at your tank and offer advice, and maybe a frag of an ‘easy’ coral for a new tank.

OP
OP
Joe del Rey

Joe del Rey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost 50 yrs in the hobby, and speaking with thousands of other hobbyists on line and at swaps and LFSs, I can tell you that every newby, that has kept a damsel alive for a week, is thinking that his next fish will be a Moorish Idol! (Ok, maybe a little exaggerated)... but every tank is different, so you just have to watch your own tank. It’s good that you have a friend in the hobby, hopefully he can take a look at your tank and offer advice, and maybe a frag of an ‘easy’ coral for a new tank.
HAHAHA I'm thinking of having a pair False Percula Clowns as next fish.[emoji23] I heard they are hardy and good for beginners.

Okay, I might be too late to say this but can I ask you a few more questions? (You seem to have more experience than my friend here so I'll rely the majority of information from you)

1) I've read over the web that different Goniopora types have different requirements. Based from the image, what type of goinio is mine? (..or is it actually an Alveopora? I am really confused because they almost look identical.)

2)Any recommendations which reef safe fish/es should I get? (I have a 20 gallon tank BTW)
20190427_110753.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back