Good Morning!

SammieT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, been a while since I've signed on.. being busy sucks sometimes...

Quick question, I recently got my Neptune Trident in the mail, all set up and doing the reading.... now, what should be reading be leveled at? at the moment, ALK:13.43, CA 423 and MG 1320...

tank mainly has zoas and some other softies, but plan to expand to SPS and such...
any advice given is appreciated since this is something new to me

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, been a while since I've signed on.. being busy sucks sometimes...

Quick question, I recently got my Neptune Trident in the mail, all set up and doing the reading.... now, what should be reading be leveled at? at the moment, ALK:13.43, CA 423 and MG 1320...

tank mainly has zoas and some other softies, but plan to expand to SPS and such...
any advice given is appreciated since this is something new to me

Whoa, that is a pretty racy ALK number. Given that I apparently enjoy buying tiny little SPS frags for hundreds of dollars -- and the lovely vendors that make this possible all run ALK around 8.5 -- that is where I peg it. Seems to work for me anyways.

SammieT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, that is a pretty racy ALK number. Given that I apparently enjoy buying tiny little SPS frags for hundreds of dollars -- and the lovely vendors that make this possible all run ALK around 8.5 -- that is where I peg it. Seems to work for me anyways.
Funny thing is I've never dosed before, this is just a current reading in my tank at the moment... how do you recommend to drop it?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is I've never dosed before, this is just a current reading in my tank at the moment... how do you recommend to drop it?

I think you should get a second test done; most salts don't mix that high. What kit you using? What salt are you using? And you are not dosing for pH, correct?

Some salts like Red Sea Pro or Instant Ocean RC mix high -- like 10.5. Others, like Red Sea Blue mix to 8ish. This would be the easy way. Otherwise, you would dose something like SeaChem acid buffer. If I have to do a really big WC, I will knock my IORC salt mix down with it. For my regular 15% WCs it is not a problem as my ALK and Ca consumption is very high.

SammieT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should get a second test done; most salts don't mix that high. What kit you using? What salt are you using? And you are not dosing for pH, correct?

Some salts like Red Sea Pro or Instant Ocean RC mix high -- like 10.5. Others, like Red Sea Blue mix to 8ish. This would be the easy way. Otherwise, you would dose something like SeaChem acid buffer. If I have to do a really big WC, I will knock my IORC salt mix down with it. For my regular 15% WCs it is not a problem as my ALK and Ca consumption is very high.
I currently use Kent mix, but i switch off between that and scrips...

i think maybe im going to calibrate the reader to make sure

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think maybe im going to calibrate the reader to make sure

I would still double check your readings with another set of test kits. I calibrate a lot of sensors and with new ones, its not uncommon to have to run the calibration 2 or three times. We call that "Walk it in to Range" if you still get bad readings, use new cal. Solutions.
The recommended levels I believe are ALK 8.5( I'm @ 8) CAL 400-450, MAG 1400 Good luck with your new trident. :cool:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, I have a question, I am using red sea ABC+ powder AIO, been using it for three months. Now I want to switch to dosing Red Sea 3 part. This is another powder that needs to be mixed. the problem is the formula doesn't give good directions on a base line formula or standard mixture. I have seen it talked about here but cannot find it, Suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning all, I have a question, I am using red sea ABC+ powder AIO, been using it for three months. Now I want to switch to dosing Red Sea 3 part. This is another powder that needs to be mixed. the problem is the formula doesn't give good directions on a base line formula or standard mixture. I have seen it talked about here but cannot find it, Suggestions?
Personally, i would call the number on the package and get their suggested numbers to add. In case something goes wrong- the blame is on them - NOT YOU

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning everyone! Not sure about you, but this is essentially how my day started for the past two days...

EA9C3C82-F615-4B1B-9E61-2E8846E41568.gif

SammieT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still double check your readings with another set of test kits. I calibrate a lot of sensors and with new ones, its not uncommon to have to run the calibration 2 or three times. We call that "Walk it in to Range" if you still get bad readings, use new cal. Solutions.
The recommended levels I believe are ALK 8.5( I'm @ 8) CAL 400-450, MAG 1400 Good luck with your new trident. :cool:
Thank you for the information! will get on it soon as i can

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning and wishes to those in Tennessee that all is good with the wicked weather and tornados in Nashville area

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone! Not sure about you, but this is essentially how my day started for the past two days...

EA9C3C82-F615-4B1B-9E61-2E8846E41568.gif

Sometimes this is not such a bad thing. However, I must admit that I usually despise the frantic feelings that usually accompany rushing.

Good vibes!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning.
Made my coffee and then
I fixed a leak in the ozone tubing this morning. I thought I was running ozone but I wasn't. I switched from running on vacuum from the skimmer to running pressure from an air pump. The leak produced no smell because there was no air through the generator.
I did manage to give myself a headache so I think it is running again.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a nice day here
IMG_2378_heic-L.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back