Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Dry foods on the whole much more nutritious than frozen food"

Well there is that reef squad badge.

I guess I am doing it wrong.

??? I missed that one. Where did you see that comment?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@WVNed - I submitted this as a potential daily poll so maybe we will be able to see the broader community’s perspective.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning.

I am going to build a planted tank and try to raise ghost shrimp in the 20L that used to be the sump. I have to drive 2 hours to get shrimp and they are kind of interesting so I will up my game and see what happens. I found a power foam filter for it and got a 30 inch LED light yesterday.
I need to make another stand. Something to do today.

I feel like I am being watched. It's kind of creepy.
2019_11_14_0642-L.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning.

I am going to build a planted tank and try to raise ghost shrimp in the 20L that used to be the sump. I have to drive 2 hours to get shrimp and they are kind of interesting so I will up my game and see what happens. I found a power foam filter for it and got a 30 inch LED light yesterday.
I need to make another stand. Something to do today.

I feel like I am being watched. It's kind of creepy.
2019_11_14_0642-L.jpg

Enjoy the new livestock and gear - I have worked with wild-collected ghost shrimp in the past and currently have some in one of my tanks. I supplement their diet with Hikari's Shrimp Cuisine.

The picture of Louie is good enough the frame - nice work!

Last edited:

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy the new livestock and gear - I have worked with wild-collected ghost shrimp in the past and currently have some in one of my tanks. I supplement their diet with Hikari's Shrimp Cuisine.

The pictures of Louie is good enough the frame - nice work!
What can you tell me about simple FW water chemistry. I haven't run a FW tank in a very long time.
I never used anything but dechlorinated tap water.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the only local shop that sells saltwater fish and now I’m so sad :( I wish they would care for their stock better. It’s infuriating and why no one local buys from them. Fish is still alive, 30 bucks and struggling horribly. Poor angel. 699799B5-D5CF-434D-8772-E35EE9655252.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What can you tell me about simple FW water chemistry. I haven't run a FW tank in a very long time.
I never used anything but dechlorinated tap water.

Once the tank is cycled then the main thing that I focus on is keeping the conductivity in a fairly consistent range (you can buy a conductivity meter for about $25 online). For both simple and fancy shrimp, I have found that regular, small water changes, live plants like java moss or other floating plants, and a sponge filter work well. IME most shrimp are very flexible with temperature, they seem to breed better at temperatures close to 80F. Additionally, I have always been told that copper is toxic to shrimp.

BTW, I have worked with both FW and SW ghost shrimp - the ones that I current have are SW.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank is cycled then the main thing that I focus on is keeping the conductivity in a fairly consistent range (you can buy a conductivity meter for about $25 online). For both simple and fancy shrimp, I have found that regular, small water changes, live plants like java moss or other floating plants, and a sponge filter work well. IME most shrimp are very flexible with temperature, they seem to breed better at temperatures close to 80F. Additionally, I have always been told that copper is toxic to shrimp.

BTW, I have worked with both FW and SW ghost shrimp - the ones that I current have are SW.
I looked into that online. It seems the terms ghost, glass and shore shrimp are all referring to the same animal with numerous regional variations. I have shore shrimp in my 20 sw and ghost shrimp in a 10 fw.

and to be honest I might get a few freshwater fish and put in there.

It's a disease. I cant help myself.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I looked into that online. It seems the terms ghost, glass and shore shrimp are all referring to the same animal with numerous regional variations. I have shore shrimp in my 20 sw and ghost shrimp in a 10 fw.

and to be honest I might get a few freshwater fish and put in there.

It's a disease. I cant help myself.

No question that grass/glass/etc. shrimp can be confusing. Because I personally collected mine in Tampa Bay I can reasonably say the are SW and others that I have had in the past I collected in lakes and creeks then I can reasonably say are FW variety.

IME with mixing shrimp and fish, even peaceful fish like small tetras, rasboras, and killifish fish will predate on the baby shrimp. Most other larger fish will predate on adult shrimp as well. I have had reasonable luck keep Chili Rasboras or Cestial Pearl Danios with fancy shrimp (I'm sure they get some of the babies but with floating plants some babies still survive). The only FW fish that I know of that I believe is "shrimp safe" is the Otocinclus catfish (sometimes called the "Oto cat").

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back