Good sponge, bad sponge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReeferTCG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReeferTCG

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2019
Messages
368
Reaction score
789
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just a quick ID. This is growing under my wall hammer
IMG_2450.jpeg
 
Love me some sponges. I think I've only read about a type of invasive sponge once. I see sponges as a sign of a healthy maturing tank. I have sponges all over the rocks in shaded areas.
This is the rock my 10yo bubble coral is on. Its like its own little eco system.
PXL_20250903_021817411.jpg
 
Last edited:
I like sponges as well. While the cryptic ones don’t look especially cool, I know that they are enhancing water parameters thru their biofiltration.

Cryptic sponges consume DOC & POC. and they produce DIC and energy rich detritus that feeds the microbial loop. Dutch researches documented that cryptic sponges would double in density every 2 hours from weight of particulates absorbed except for detritus produced.

PS: pictures would be better if glass was clean. I am retired, I will clean it when it moves me.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new