Got a new tank. Upgrading my old one.

Fireking

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2024
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tl;dr: I have acquired a new 15 gallon aquarium, this will be replacing a 5 gallon aquarium, but i my only option is a hot swap rather than letting the new tank cycle on its own. Any advice to make this go easier?

I'm also curious about media, as it stands in the old tank I've just got a pile of sponges and some chemipure elite in the AIO chamber. I'll be swapping those over to the new tank for the bacteria, but there's a lot more space in the back of the fluval. What would you all reccomend I do with the fluvals AIO space?
 
Last edited:
Tl;dr: I have acquired a new 15 gallon aquarium, this will be replacing a 5 gallon aquarium, but i my only option is a hot swap rather than letting the new tank cycle on its own. Any advice to make this go easier?

I'm also curious about media, as it stands in the old tank I've just got a pile of sponges and some chemipure elite in the AIO chamber. I'll be swapping those over to the new tank for the bacteria, but there's a lot more space in the back of the fluval. What would you all reccomend I do with the fluvals AIO space?
I had a similar situation, going from a 10 to a 40. I just moved Half the live rock and Bio Media from my ten to the larger tank, but i used all new water because i still left my 10 gallon up and running...

If your not going to keep your 5 gallon, just move everything over from the 5 to the 15 and call it a day.
{I read some people recommend to wash (Id use RO or idealy fresh salt water) your sand if you transferring it.}
Just buy some more rock for you Display and buy more Bio Media for the back.
 
I had a similar situation, going from a 10 to a 40. I just moved Half the live rock and Bio Media from my ten to the larger tank, but i used all new water because i still left my 10 gallon up and running...

If your not going to keep your 5 gallon, just move everything over from the 5 to the 15 and call it a day.
{I read some people recommend to wash (Id use RO or idealy fresh salt water) your sand if you transferring it.}
Just buy some more rock for you Display and buy more Bio Media for the back.
Thank you. It seems with saltwater it's best to get it done and over with quickly! Which makes my life way easier.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new