Got any tips for me?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, all! This is my first post here at R2R. Last week I set up an Innovative Marine 15G AIO cube, and it is currently in the cycling process. I am very much a beginner, I have done tons of research, so I know the basics, but I know there are tons of people out there with beautiful reef tanks, that have kept them for years and many more to come. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some good tips and tricks that they have found to help them in their success. Thanks!

17064014148627773907708515629220.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey, all! This is my first post here at R2R. Last week I set up an Innovative Marine 15G AIO cube, and it is currently in the cycling process. I am very much a beginner, I have done tons of research, so I know the basics, but I know there are tons of people out there with beautiful reef tanks, that have kept them for years and many more to come. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some good tips and tricks that they have found to help them in their success. Thanks!

17064014148627773907708515629220.jpg
What is your tank plan- Fish only, fish with live rock, fish with coral or ???

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! My advice with a tank that size, do a water change weekly, and an auto top off will help with stability big time and you should find success.
Thanks for the help! 10% weekly was what I was planning to do. Does that sound good?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! My advice is take it slow and invest in good quality test kits.
My LFS told me to get a teat kit, they recommended me one where you test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and high range PH. Is that all I need or will I need to test for trace elements, alkalinity and stuff like that? I also have a refractometer BTW.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish with coral, and live rock.
Asure tank is cycled,,,,, allow tank to run a few weeks before adding coral. Assure you have adequate lighting and flow and use quality test kits
Some good starter coral will be :
zoa
candy cane
GSP
Duncan
trumpet
mushroom
Finger leather

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My LFS told me to get a teat kit, they recommended me one where you test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and high range PH. Is that all I need or will I need to test for trace elements, alkalinity and stuff like that? I also have a refractometer BTW.
No need to test for nitrite which pertains to freshwater and I recommend Salifert and hanna brand. Start with ammonia and nitrate kits and add according to your needs

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asure tank is cycled,,,,, allow tank to run a few weeks before adding coral. Assure you have adequate lighting and flow and use quality test kits
Some good starter coral will be :
zoa
candy cane
GSP
Duncan
trumpet
mushroom
Finger leather
Thanks so much. Right now I have a bottle of I think Dr. Tims ammonia coming, and I also have a bottle of beneficial bacteria coming to help kick start the cycling process.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to test for nitrite which pertains to freshwater and I recommend Salifert and hanna brand. Start with ammonia and nitrate kits and add according to your needs
Ok, thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks so much. Right now I have a bottle of I think Dr. Tims ammonia coming, and I also have a bottle of beneficial bacteria coming to help kick start the cycling process.
With the ammonia, add appropriate amount and when ammonia rises then falls and achieves a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and when nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the ammonia, add appropriate amount and when ammonia rises then falls and achieves a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and when nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.
Ok, thanks. I didn't think about the nitrates, only the ammonia. Thanks for your help!

thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert are great to start with. Personally I use NYOS for Nitrate and Hanna for ALK. I would start with Salinity, Nitrate, Alk, and Cal, and phosphate. I like to keep it easy so I typically just dose all for reef to keep my alk at 9 and everything else seems to be where it should always be. 10% sounds good, maybe 20 to start with until you start learning what you're testing for, correcting for, ext.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert are great to start with. Personally I use NYOS for Nitrate and Hanna for ALK. I would start with Salinity, Nitrate, Alk, and Cal, and phosphate. I like to keep it easy so I typically just dose all for Reef to keep my alk at 9 and everything else seems to be where it should always be. 10% sounds good, maybe 20 to start with until you start learning what you're testing for, correcting for, ext.
Alright, 20 sounds fine with me. I have an RO filter coming, so making water won't be a problem for me. I will have to do more research on dosing and stuff like that because I am not sure what to do but thanks for your help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back