Got weird looking Duncan from LFS

vb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a coral from LFS that doesn’t look that good, should i send it back or will it be okay? Is it even Duncan? I thought they are branching..

IMG_3004.png IMG_3002.jpeg IMG_3006.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a coral from LFS that doesn’t look that good, should i send it back or will it be okay? Is it even Duncan? I thought they are branching..

IMG_3004.png IMG_3002.jpeg IMG_3006.jpeg
I won’t lie, it looks a bit like an elegance - Catalaphyllia jardinei. Here’s mine for an idea of why i think it’s that. The overall polyp shape appears to be 1 giant polyp with multiple mouths.
IMG_9832.jpeg

Can you get any white light photos? Blue lights make it hard to see certain details.

Last edited:

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that doesn't look like a duncan.

OP
OP
V

vb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t lie, it looks a bit like an elegance - Catalaphyllia jardinei.

Can you get any white light photos? Blue lights make it hard to see certain details.
Might be:))) what worries me is the skeleton, both flesh not attached as seen on blue photo, and the skeleton with holes, or how to call it… New one n a hobby, so don’t know:) Don’t have white photo when it’s recessed. IMG_3010.jpeg IMG_3009.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be:))) what worries me is the skeleton, both flesh not attached as seen on blue photo, and the skeleton with holes, or how to call it… New one n a hobby, so don’t know:) Don’t have white photo when it’s recessed. IMG_3010.jpeg IMG_3009.jpeg
I wouldn’t worry about a hole in the side of the skeleton, I’ve got coral with similar damages and they’re happy.
I’ll try get a photo of the torch that I believe has damage on the skeleton.

The flesh band on elegances is generally rather small, I’m not too sure why. But if it’s not there then that can be an issue.

OP
OP
V

vb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about a hole in the side of the skeleton, I’ve got coral with similar damages and they’re happy.

The flesh band on elegances is generally rather small, I’m not too sure why. But if it’s not there then that can be an issue.
Yeah, not a big area but not there, will probably take it back to LFS. Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After looking at the blue photo with recession in, I wouldn’t worry too much looking at how the main flesh band is in tact and fairly thick it can definitely recover. You may find it’s there when extended but not obviously attached at night - I’ve got a hammer that does this and I thought it would bail out but it’s slowly recovering from tissue recession.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t lie, it looks a bit like an elegance - Catalaphyllia jardinei. Here’s mine for an idea of why i think it’s that. The overall polyp shape appears to be 1 giant polyp with multiple mouths.
IMG_9832.jpeg

Wow! That is beautiful!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is beautiful!
I’m hoping today I can figure out what I’ve done right with this tank to get some of the harder LPS thriving.
I have gonis that love it in this tank, the elegance and a torch that I couldn’t get to grow in my main tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back