Green chromis looks weird.

ito2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , I’m looking to see if anyone can help me identify what’s wrong with my green chromis.

A little over 2 days ago , I introduced him into my DT without quarantining him (Huge mistake on my end) and all seemed well for the time being, except for some minor clown aggression. This morning however, I began to notice he was breathing abnormally, slightly lethargic, and lacking a proper appetite. I hadn’t noticed any lesions on his skin , but he definitely began flashing/ rubbing up upon the rock work. Immediately in a panic , I decided to run a methelyne blue bath on him for 60 mins. And allowed him to rest for the night , I did notice that lesions of some kind began to appear , but they seemed only like white momentary splotches before his colors faded to a pale dark green. (Couldn’t see them again) I tried taking some videos before bed , I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3733.MOV
    4.6 MB
  • IMG_3735.MOV
    22.7 MB
  • IMG_3734.MOV
    3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Green chromis frequently have health issues, they are not handled well during collection and shipment (since they are such "low value" animals).

I can't see any symptoms of a specific disease here - the rapid breathing can be a sign of a few different problems.

Was the chromis feeding for you and now is not?

Jay

OP
OP
ito2

ito2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Green chromis frequently have health issues, they are not handled well during collection and shipment (since they are such "low value" animals).

I can't see any symptoms of a specific disease here - the rapid breathing can be a sign of a few different problems.

Was the chromis feeding for you and now is not?

Jay
Hi, fortunately yes, he has given food into consideration this morning (in stark contrast to the first time I fed him). His gills do seem to be labored still, but he's got a good appetite.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, fortunately yes, he has given food into consideration this morning (in stark contrast to the first time I fed him). His gills do seem to be labored still, but he's got a good appetite.
At this point, since it is feeding, I don't see any treatable symptoms, at least none from the more common new fish diseases. Just ensure the tank is well aerated and that the clownfish doesn't start picking on it again.

Jay

OP
OP
ito2

ito2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, since it is feeding, I don't see any treatable symptoms, at least none from the more common new fish diseases. Just ensure the tank is well aerated and that the clownfish doesn't start picking on it again.

Jay
Yeah, He seems to be totally fine now, it's just the one occasion I spotted the Chromis flashing (I didn't know if it's something to worry about) + the labored breathing of the fish. Water Params are totally fine, (ammonia, nitrites are undetectable)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, He seems to be totally fine now, it's just the one occasion I spotted the Chromis flashing (I didn't know if it's something to worry about) + the labored breathing of the fish. Water Params are totally fine, (ammonia, nitrites are undetectable)
If the flashing gets worse, you may want to consider treating with prazipro for flukes, but I'd wait until you see more definite symptoms.

Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back