Green Star Polyp never really opening up.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So I have a few different types of corals in my tank. Two types of gorgonians, a montipora, an orange leptoseris, two kinds of zoanthid, and lastly a small frag of GSP. Oh and also a Kenyan tree coral. So for the gorgonians, Zola, and tree are all very well and happy. The montipora is really midday about popping out it’s polyps, and the lepto is always great and vibrant. However, the coral that is not doing well at all is supposed to be the easiest one to grow. So much so that it is called a invasive coral. I’ve placed it on its own rock right across the tank facing the power head. But if barely comes out. I want to get some more to possibly replace it if it is too far gone. But how am I not getting this of all corals to thrive? You can see where it is supposed to be from my hand pointing to it.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also notice that my snails and hermit crabs like to munch on the algae near it. Is that perhaps what is making them mad?

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So I have a few different types of corals in my tank. Two types of gorgonians, a montipora, an orange leptoseris, two kinds of zoanthid, and lastly a small frag of GSP. Oh and also a Kenyan tree coral. So for the gorgonians, Zola, and tree are all very well and happy. The montipora is really midday about popping out it’s polyps, and the lepto is always great and vibrant. However, the coral that is not doing well at all is supposed to be the easiest one to grow. So much so that it is called a invasive coral. I’ve placed it on its own rock right across the tank facing the power head. But if barely comes out. I want to get some more to possibly replace it if it is too far gone. But how am I not getting this of all corals to thrive? You can see where it is supposed to be from my hand pointing to it.

image.jpg
How much red light and white light do you run? Star polyps are photosynthetic, and need the blue spectrum. Your tank looks very pink/red, which is contributing to algae issues. Also, the power head may be irritating it. Try shielding it with something or by moving it out of the direct flow and see if that helps.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve turned off the powerhead and upped the blue lights. The ones in the back are starting t pop open. The newer *** I added is still being shy. If it doesn’t open up in a week or so I’ll see what needs to be done.

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve turned off the powerhead and upped the blue lights. The ones in the back are starting t pop open. The newer *** I added is still being shy. If it doesn’t open up in a week or so I’ll see what needs to be done.
Sometimes they just take their good old time. Do you dose any trace elements, plankton, or any liquid aminos? All of those things might encourage it to open.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they just take their good old time. Do you dose any trace elements, plankton, or any liquid aminos? All of those things might encourage it to open.
I use Red Sea reef energy A and B and AB+(whenever it is in stock) at least two times a week. Once before and after a 20% water change. I also add calcium and alkalinity but due to something strange, my calcium and alk drop super slowly so I don’t add very much of them.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea reef energy A and B and AB+(whenever it is in stock) at least two times a week. Once before and after a 20% water change. I also add calcium and alkalinity but due to something strange, my calcium and alk drop super slowly so I don’t add very much of them.
That calcium will change if you get a nice fast growing monti in there lol.

Back