Green Toadstool Leather Help!

Arruna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

so I have a green toadstool leather coral that Ive had for quite some time. It was doing great but my BTA decided he liked the location of the leather. So it moved to the same rock, and when its fully open its basically engulfing the leather coral. Needless to say, I need to move the leather.

My issue is that, the leathers stank has fixed itself to the large rock both it and the BTA is one. Like its laying on its side. So the majority of the stalk has fused to the rock. I cant tank the rock out without also taking out the BTA and a big hassle.

Can I just slowly pull the leather until it comes off the rock? What if it rips, will it release a bunch of toxins in my tank? (its a 150 gal mixed reef)
Should I just cut off as much as I can, (the head and some stalk) and let the BTA tank over the remainder of the stalk? Or just rip the stalk out after I snip?

Im most worries about releasing toxins into my tank and a crash. So any advise or help would be great.

The BTA is closed right now so I could get the pics. But image that whole area I'd cover by the BTA normal. It's the size of my head now

Thank you

20211019_110346.jpg 20211019_110340.jpg 20211019_110330.jpg

OP
OP
Arruna

Arruna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cut (and ripped) mine in the past. the new pieces just start to grow new leathers.. the old stalk (if well established) will likely not die and just grow more.. leathers are pretty hardy.
Do I need to worry about it crashing my tank? Will it release toxins from the stress of me ripping it? Thats my biggest concern.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine never has... and it has been up to 2 feet wide. however, I have a 250g with 100g sump and a lot of filtration. your leather it pretty small (from the look in the pic) compared to mine. maybe just run some carbon when you cut.

I had a trigger eating it for a while and that didnt hurt the tank either. maybe others can weigh in.

OP
OP
Arruna

Arruna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! With more confidence I was able to peel the whole leather off the rock and replant him. Hopefully he'll brighten right up in his new home far away from the BTA!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back