Green wolf eel

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience keeping the green wolf "eel"?

Looking into one for my upcoming 55 gallon reef.

Looking for experiences with these "eels" in a reef including temperament and personality.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently we have a 12.5 gallon with

Clownfish pair
Firefish
Randall's goby and pistol shrimp
Emerald Crabs
Hermit Crabs
Nassarius snails
Astreas

We are okay with replacing clean up crew as they are hunted by the "eel"

I am a little concerned about the size of normal Occelaris clownfish, the Randalls being in the sand and the small firefish. Given that my new tank is 55 gallon, my options for larger fish [like tangs, small angels etc.] are limited.

Any suggestions for fish pairings for a 55 gallon with the "eel"?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you putting your current fish in the 55g? I would advise against mixing a firefish with a green wolf eel.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you putting your current fish in the 55g? I would advise against mixing a firefish with a green wolf eel.

Initial plans are to transfer everything over to the 55 gallon. The eel will be a later addition, but always better to plan ahead with stocking. Should I be worried about the clownfish with an eel? My wife will have to decide between firefish or eel if they aren't going to be compatible. I already know that she will choose to get the eel over the firefish, but we will see!

Any other stocking suggestions? No concern with the Goby/Pistol shrimp combo digging tunnels under the sand with an Eel in the tank?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one for a while. He was a lot of fun, but they get BIG. Agree with what's already been said.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a while. He was a lot of fun, but they get BIG. Agree with what's already been said.

Live Aquaria has them listed as a max length of 18", what was your experience with one? The only two i've seen in person at LFS's have been around 6-8 inches long and about ad big around as a thick thumb

Live Aquaria also has conflicting advice on tank size:

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-9-10_13-12-14.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have first hand experience, but I have seen them over a foot long, pretty thick, and from what I could tell; I wouldn't trust them with what you are keeping. In a 55g your choices of what would be compatible will be very limited, as I can't think of anything off hand.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Live Aquaria has them listed as a max length of 18", what was your experience with one? The only two i've seen in person at LFS's have been around 6-8 inches long and about ad big around as a thick thumb

Live Aquaria also has conflicting advice on tank size:
Mine was probably about 18" and probably about 4" or so in diameter. He was BIG. He was bigger than my snowflake moray that shared the tank with him. He wasn't aggressive, but he was full size.

Nick1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was probably about 18" and probably about 4" or so in diameter. He was BIG. He was bigger than my snowflake moray that shared the tank with him. He wasn't aggressive, but he was full size.
My green wolf eel is about 13 inches now. She will eat any other fish that will fit in her mouth as well as crabs and snails. I have a Yellow Damsel, Tang and Puffer in with her and they are all fine.

Nick1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if its normal for the female to be fertile with eggs 12 times when there is not male. She lays the eggs about every 2 weeks. she does not protect them since the 3rd batch. She or the other tank mates eat them. Is there something I should check.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back