Greetings!

Sportn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and new to the board, just dropping by to introduce myself. I'm in Virginia, just outside of DC and have been wanting to try my hand at reefing for a long time and finally decided to jump on in and get my feet wet. This board has been so helpful to research, find best practices, get recommendations and so forth and has to one of the best if not the best site to search and read. So, after much deliberation and hours upon hours of reading and researching this is what I landed on as a best fit for my application and to get me going:

RedSea Peninsula 650 tank, stand & sump
RedSea ReefLEDs 90 (x4) mounted on an Ecotech rail (with some mounting modifications) for lighting
2 Maxspect Gyre 200 pumps for flow
X-Flo Protein Skimmer
CaribSea Live Sand ~.5" deep
CaribSea Life Rock for aqua scape combined with a few other pieces from my LFS
Tropic Marin Pro salt
25 gallon QT tank
50 gallon fresh ROI tank
50 gallon fresh salt tank

Used just enough of the RedSea plumbing to connect to the tank bulkheads and then converted everything from 25 and 32 mm to 1.5" standard pipe and ran all the plumbing into the basement. Side note: my display tank is my family room which is above the basement but the floor wouldn't support the weight without help so I decided to build a sump/water change room in the basement to support the weight above and keep all the messy parts downstairs.

Current status:
Dec 18: Started cycling with Dr. Tim's and bottled ammonia
Jan 19: Added a pair of Fija Pink Clown Skunks
Jan 19: Added some frags of Greenstar, Frogspawn, Neon Green Sinularia, Duncan, Red Discosoma & Blue Rodactis
Jan 21: Dropped in some inverts to help with maintenance (emerald green crabs, scarlet hermits, dwarf blue leg hermits, fighting conch, skunk cleaner shrimp and some Nassarius snails)
I don't plan to add anything else to the display tank for at least a month now while I observe and track the tank parameters with the new inhabitants.

Lessons Learned to Date:
1. This hobby is challenging - you get to know a little bit about everything; chemistry, biology, physics and engineering, etc.
2. This hobby requires patience, patience and more patience
3. You can make $ubstantial investments in this hobby
4. It's a great hobby for the DIY folks

Apologize for being so long winded. Looking forward to conversing and sharing the journey!!
IMG_1073.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back