Greybeard's Wide, Shallow Peninsula

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How heavy is that stand? I am planning out a similar steel stand for my 5'x2'x2' tank, and I am trying to figure out how many people it will take to get it to my basement.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't weigh it... it's 1.5" 11 gauge steel. Google shows 2.25 lbs per foot, I'm figuring 60 linear feet... 135lbs? Two of us managed to load and unload it fairly easily. If I were going to be carrying it through narrow turns and up/down stairs, I'd likely want 3 guys.

I got a quote on a powder coated steel stand from an aquarium vendor, not going to mention which... $1700 (plus shipping!). I made a couple of calls, and found a local metal fab shop that quoted me $589 + tax, built to my specs. I then made a few more calls, and found a company that would sand blast the mill scale off of it, and powder coat in my choice of colors (gloss black) for $90. I figure spending a half hour modeling the stand and making a few phone calls saved me a grand.

Heck, I was originally going to build a wood stand, and would have spent that much on lumber. I spent about $350 on the poplar and cabinet grade 3/4" ply I used on my old cube stand.

From this:
StandModel.jpg

To This:
BareSteel.jpg

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few items staged... Picked up a Vertex 180i, figured my SRO1000 was a bit small for the new system. Received my PVC parts for doing the plumbing. Blue for return lines, red for the drains. Got a LFS owner building me a 12" x 10" x 3.5" acrylic external overflow box... started thinking about how I'm going to organize the electronics....

Moving slow at this point, but still moving :)

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the plan for that ledge around the tank? I'd like to do something similar if I could do it in situ (I don't think I could fit it in my basement with any more width.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the plan for that ledge around the tank? I'd like to do something similar if I could do it in situ (I don't think I could fit it in my basement with any more width.

Top will be a double layer of 3/4" ply, laminated together, 48"x69". It will attach to anchors that I had welded into the stand. Once I've got the tank, so I can measure it myself, I'll mount a 1/4" x 2" trim board, extending 3/8" above the surface, and glue up a 3/8" square bead at the outside edge of where the tank will sit. My daughter is going to do a mosaic tile surround, like she did on my old cube stand. She can do the work on the top over a couple of sawhorses. Steel stand will be moved in, top screwed on, and then we'll place the glass box.

Here's a shot of the mosaic on my cube. Planning a brighter pallet this time, and solid 1/4" trim, rather than the milled stuff I used last time, but other than that, it'll be similar.
Mosaic1.jpg

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One powder coated steel stand, in place. I'll try and knock out the wood top this weekend, and I'll be ready for glass.

SteelStandInPlace.jpg

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. We start welding on mine this week, seeing yours makes me excited.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old Cube is officially sold. The resell value of used reef gear is just sad. Makes my other hobby, firearms, look fiscally responsible. As I've said before, guns don't cost money, it's an investment. Buy decent quality, take care of it, it'll be worth what you paid for it. Ammo. Ammo costs money :)

Reef stuff is as bad as ammo. Spend good money, go to sell it off, it's worth virtually nothing.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe I'm pulling back from mosaic tile on this one... I'm going to build up a 3/8" deep 'rim' around the perimeter, prime and seal, and let my daughter paint it. Reef/fish scenes. Once dry, I'll use pour on clear bar epoxy to 'fill' the 3/8" deep space. Should give me an attractive, extremely durable 'shelf'.

The mosaic tile looked great, but keeping it clean and looking good, what with spills and such, was always a challenge. A hard, smooth epoxy surface that I can easily wipe down sounds like a better choice.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this thread and realized my tank has a twin! 60x30x18 and also made by planet aquarium. Even our steel stand looks alike!

Do you have a build thread on here? I'd love to see what you've done with the rockwork. I'm looking forward to having a wide, roomy platform. I've never been particularly artistic, but I'm hopeful I can come up with something that looks good.

celebrityovernight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a build thread on here? I'd love to see what you've done with the rockwork. I'm looking forward to having a wide, roomy platform. I've never been particularly artistic, but I'm hopeful I can come up with something that looks good.
Unfortunately I don't have a build thread but I'll be happy to post some pics on here when I get home to snap a few pictures. Did you opt for the glass or pvc bottom on your tank?

Also, I think I read something about flow earlier in the thread. A gyre will have no issues pushing water across the tank.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have a build thread but I'll be happy to post some pics on here when I get home to snap a few pictures. Did you opt for the glass or pvc bottom on your tank?

Also, I think I read something about flow earlier in the thread. A gyre will have no issues pushing water across the tank.

Love to see some pics. Mine is glass bottom. I'm probably going to put a sheet of HDPE/starboard on top of the glass, but honestly, I haven't really decided yet.

I've always been a bit afraid of plastic bottom tanks, silicone just doesn't adhere to PVC the way glass does. I've got no real basis for it, but it still makes me nervous.

celebrityovernight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love to see some pics. Mine is glass bottom. I'm probably going to put a sheet of HDPE/starboard on top of the glass, but honestly, I haven't really decided yet.

I've always been a bit afraid of plastic bottom tanks, silicone just doesn't adhere to PVC the way glass does. I've got no real basis for it, but it still makes me nervous.
The way planet does it, they basically sandwich a 1/4" piece of glass between two pvc sheets. This way, there's still a glass to glass seal even if the silicone bond on the pvc gives.

I started the tank bare bottom, but added sand later. Now I wished I stuck with the BB. I like being able to grow encrusting montis and other corals on the bottom.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like being able to grow encrusting montis and other corals on the bottom.

And therein lies my salvation. Bare bottom has never looked good to me... but imagine a bottom made up of sunset montipora, jack-o-lantern leptoseris, a nice cyphastrea... could be very cool, indeed :) That's what I'm _hoping_ for. We'll just have to wait and see if I can actually accomplish it.

celebrityovernight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly! You won't get that natural look, but you will get that mad scientist with colors exploding everywhere look! Any how, here's a quick snap of the tank. It has a lot of maturing to do. I set it up last year, had a few setbacks and really only started stocking it up again back in March of this year. I recently had a battle with dinoflagellates and they are the devil in algae/protozoan form!
IMG_8670.jpg

The aquascape is quite boring but it allows me to pack in alot of corals. For a more minimalist look, check out my old 112gallon (48x30x18). I think the 112 had much better aquascaping, but I couldnt add too many corals.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DA ReefKeeper light and Finex 800w heater tube showed up today.

Got nearly all of my plumbing parts in now.

Haven't gotten final choice on the sump yet, though Trigger Ruby 36 is the likely candidate.

Whaddya think, Fritz or Red Sea Coral Pro? I was always an IO guy until my last tank, went with Reef Crystals on that one, and honestly, I didn't like it. pH, Alk, and Calc of brand new mixed water varied by more than I was willing to accept. I read good things about Red Sea salts, but many of my local club guys just love Fritz.

I've got a Tunze care magnet long, looks like I'm going to need the strong...

details, details...

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding salts, I am a Red Sea (non pro) guy. It has high calcium but lower alk (~8dKH), in line with how I keep my tanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back