Grow out contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is sort of a random topic but I was wondering if you had any interest in hosting a coral grow out competition? I've been following your posts on reef2reef and love your communication and healthy corals, and while I've never purchased from you I've considered it many times. I have been trying to find a grow out contest to participate in but recently I haven't been satisfied with the level of communication from some other vendors that have hosted them so I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out to a vendor that I would like to work with.

Generally the contest involves making a bunch of identically sized frags of a specific coral and making a thread or something to keep track of participants progress. They usually last a few months and participants usually post weekly or monthly growth pictures to stay qualified. At the end of the contest the winner gets a prize like a gift card or something. It's pretty flexible, some vendors are more strict and others and laid back. I can link you to examples if you'd like.
What do you think?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam gave out some PC rainbow for a grow out challenge a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly he told them that he didn't have an issue doing it but said the challenges never last. Unfortunately he was right and seemed after a few months there was only a couple people still doing updates.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's something low light I'll join in. Otherwise they'll brown out in my tank

tcup25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be interested. I have “old school lighting”(halides) and my tank sits in a window. It would be fun to see how much sunlight really effects growth and color compared to other systems

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok so ill admit these things generally fizzle out after month or two, but I'll be willing supply the frags if you want to organize it. Cant give them all away this time either , but l'll do the best I can for everyone involved

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so ill admit these things generally fizzle out after month or two, but I'll be willing supply the frags if you want to organize it. Cant give them all away this time either , but l'll do the best I can for everyone involved

How long do the challenges typically run? Maybe if we shorten the time frame or have some sort of incentive for staying on board people would be more likely to keep up with the contest?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back