Growth led vs aquarium led

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The following images are using the 2ft version of this light (full spectrum grow light):
https://www.feit.com/collections/gr...-spectrum-led-grow-light-glp12fs-vm-13-5w-led

Coral are growing reasonably well. Note the Acan has a bunch of new polyps. Most coral are well extended.
Note the brain coral is retracted in the second picture due to an Aiptasia I found on it yesterday.
20230327_124250884_iOS.jpg
20230327_124357841_iOS.jpg

rtsp-grabber1679847231-1.jpg

1679923721721.jpeg
I have wanted to set up a Fiet grow light tank!!!! I think they have one that you can turn on the "blue" and "white" channels at the same time! Think phillips makes some "blue" spectrum grow lights as well. Was thinking about multiple grow lights some full spec some blue spec. . . . just need more room in my house for tanks!!!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find myself agreeing with OP, at least to some extent. I am sure there is something to be said about spectrum and more blue, that said there are numerous high quality and powerful grow lights on the market I think could grow corals, and with some tweaks I think said lights could be more "coral oriented" without a huge cost difference (like manufactured with more blue LEDs). . . maybe I will make my own Home Depot Light rig for testing haha.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Viparspectra already makes a reef oriented light. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

In the end, "full spectrum" has become a marketing term thrown around to make some lights seem superior and others inferior. A cool white LED has plenty of spectrum for what we need. You can run just them if you really want. It looks terrible overall.

I went from "full spectrum" halides to "limited spectrum" LEDs over a month ago and nothing in my tank has skipped a beat. Colors are even better than before, consumption is up because growth is up, fish look amazing, etc...

For reef tanks you want heavy violet and blue. Then add in enough white to please your eye. This can be cool or warm white LEDs. Your pick. This really doesn't need to be complicated like so many make it

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted to set up a Fiet grow light tank!!!! I think they have one that you can turn on the "blue" and "white" channels at the same time! Think phillips makes some "blue" spectrum grow lights as well. Was thinking about multiple grow lights some full spec some blue spec. . . . just need more room in my house for tanks!!!
6522418D-ED5D-4001-B061-B283D0AD5A64.jpeg
You just aren’t looking hard enough for spots to put a new tank. I mean, my bathroom isn’t that big and it can fit two reef tanks in it.

Those switchable spectrum bulbs seem intriguing. I have been considering one the replace the bulb on the left. I didn’t really like the glare from it and ended up eventually emptying the tank below it.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viparspectra already makes a reef oriented light. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

In the end, "full spectrum" has become a marketing term thrown around to make some lights seem superior and others inferior. A cool white LED has plenty of spectrum for what we need. You can run just them if you really want. It looks terrible overall.

I went from "full spectrum" halides to "limited spectrum" LEDs over a month ago and nothing in my tank has skipped a beat. Colors are even better than before, consumption is up because growth is up, fish look amazing, etc...

For reef tanks you want heavy violet and blue. Then add in enough white to please your eye. This can be cool or warm white LEDs. Your pick. This really doesn't need to be complicated like so many make it
You must be thinking about the old versions of ViparSpectra. They were still growth led.

Its getting away from the point, though. The point being that led for aquarium cost so much money for very few diodes compared to growth led and the fact that the producers of led for aquarium dont write what diodes they use.

I see a lot of talk here about cheap copies. That is also missing the point because the bottom line is the number of diodes, who manifactors the diodes and the assembly quality.

If blue is more pleasing for your eye or that you cant live without 11 pre programmed moonlight settings then go for it. What im takling about is cost/benifit.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You must be thinking about the old versions of ViparSpectra. They were still growth led.

Its getting away from the point, though. The point being that led for aquarium cost so much money for very few diodes compared to growth led and the fact that the producers of led for aquarium dont write what diodes they use.

I see a lot of talk here about cheap copies. That is also missing the point because the bottom line is the number of diodes, who manifactors the diodes and the assembly quality.

If blue is more pleasing for your eye or that you cant live without 11 pre programmed moonlight settings then go for it. What im takling about is cost/benifit.

Viparspectra made a reef specific spectrum.

Diode count is hardly an indicataion of how good a light will be. Especially when the diodes you listed off earlier are pointless for our use.

There are a dozen plus "budget" fixtures out there already claiming what you are asking for. ReeFi, Noopsyche, Vipar, AliExpress Bars, etc...the hobby is littered with black box specials if one wants that.

Yes, the hobby overpays for things. It has been that way for decades and will continue that way. Early on hobbyists paid double for baking soda with a fish slapped on the box. Some pay extra for higher end lights that have more features and far better customer service.

If doing things as cheap as possible is someone's gig, right on. They should do that. Some of us find a lot of value in not dealing with and supporting companies that provide absolutely nothing to the hobby.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viparspectra made a reef specific spectrum.

Diode count is hardly an indicataion of how good a light will be. Especially when the diodes you listed off earlier are pointless for our use.

There are a dozen plus "budget" fixtures out there already claiming what you are asking for. ReeFi, Noopsyche, Vipar, AliExpress Bars, etc...the hobby is littered with black box specials if one wants that.

Yes, the hobby overpays for things. It has been that way for decades and will continue that way. Early on hobbyists paid double for baking soda with a fish slapped on the box. Some pay extra for higher end lights that have more features and far better customer service.

If doing things as cheap as possible is someone's gig, right on. They should do that. Some of us find a lot of value in not dealing with and supporting companies that provide absolutely nothing to the hobby.

I thought I was very specific several times about comparing good quality growth led to quality aquarium led. A more mature and competitive marked with transparent information compared to a more feeling and brand orientered marked. But okay.

Do you truely believe the number of diodes or the producer of the diodes dont make any difference or did you say that because I made you angry? :)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought I was very specific several times about comparing good quality growth led to quality aquarium led. A more mature and competitive marked with transparent information compared to a more feeling and brand orientered marked. But okay.

Do you truely believe the number of diodes or the producer of the diodes dont make any difference or did you say that because I made you angry? :)

I said number of diodes isn’t an indication of quality. Not very tough to comprehend

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go setup two tanks and use each type of fixture. Report back and document your findings. Tell us which spectrum works better.
I have 125 gallon upstairs that I was running three smatfarm LEDs. I was very impressed with these until I got my G6 xr 15... I currently moved them to another tank both of them have a piece of GSP on the bottom. Same depth. Both lights are mounted 6 inches off the water. Hands down the tank with the xr-15 G6 is growing three times as fast. It took me a year before I made the plunge into ecotec but I would never look back. I don't like the price but results speak for themselves.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 125 gallon upstairs that I was running three smatfarm LEDs. I was very impressed with these until I got my G6 xr 15... I currently moved them to another tank both of them have a piece of GSP on the bottom. Same depth. Both lights are mounted 6 inches off the water. Hands down the tank with the xr-15 G6 is growing three times as fast. It took me a year before I made the plunge into ecotec but I would never look back. I don't like the price but results speak for themselves.

Interesting.

Did you compare the producer of the diodes, number of diodes and check for spread, PAR and spectrum on the old system compared to the new system?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I said number of diodes isn’t an indication of quality. Not very tough to comprehend
I would agree that number of diodes is not a measure of quality, but if 2 companies are using the same quality of diode but you are paying more to the company using less diodes, isn't that a bit suspect? That said,OP is also noting that we don't even know the quality of some manufactures diodes to even compare the quality.

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting.

Did you compare the producer of the diodes, number of diodes and check for spread, PAR and spectrum on the old system compared to the new system?
Nope. Just comparing a $114 light to a $499 light. I wish I had a power meter I'm simply going off of growth. The 200 shares the same sump as the 125.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for some good info to compare lights, Radion used to publish more info about what diodes they used.
1679941039506.png

https://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/downloads/10793_Rev01_Radion_G3_G3ProSalesFlyer.pdf

I don't really know anything about what diodes a good grow light uses, but I imagine reef lights have a couple other factors that might play into costing more:
- hobby markup
- lower volume
- higher testing cost (I assume these manufacturers have a bunch of reef tanks to experiment with)
- better marketing (the right grow light doesn't change the color/fluorescence of your plants)
- no free alternative (most of us can't just throw our tank outside or near a window)

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct. Ab+ setting modified sun up to 7:00 a.m. sundown 7:00 p.m....
Mounts sold separately on the Radion's yes? So we are looking at $345 dollars compared to $1800 total?

I'm sure it's an awesome set up, sounds like it grows corals very well. . . just to expensive for my blood haha!

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mounts sold separately on the Radion's yes? So we are looking at $345 dollars compared to $1800 total?

I'm sure it's an awesome set up, sounds like it grows corals very well. . . just to expensive for my blood haha!
I just went to the hardware store and bought four sets of small chain to use with the included hanging screws. Works amazing no reason to waste stupid money on a dumb bracket. For the price of the lights and honestly should have been included.. but I didn't post this to complain.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would agree that number of diodes is not a measure of quality, but if 2 companies are using the same quality of diode but you are paying more to the company using less diodes, isn't that a bit suspect? That said,OP is also noting that we don't even know the quality of some manufactures diodes to even compare the quality.

Not really. You’re assuming diode count is the only thing that creates cost into a light in that scenario.

So far, I have been able to find which diodes almost every big name is using. Even if the company doesn’t list them, others do.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They arent using even the same type of diode. Horticultural lights now tend to use very efficient but low powered leds without added optics and a whole lot of them, while aquarium leds use much higher powered leds with optics. Also it comes down to light penetration through the water collumn and not just light output.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. You’re assuming diode count is the only thing that creates cost into a light in that scenario.

So far, I have been able to find which diodes almost every big name is using. Even if the company doesn’t list them, others do.
Do you have a couple links? Curious to compare. And probably won’t have time to dig into it till friday

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back