GSP Back Wall?

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to get my back wall of GSP going but I think my tank is the only one in the world that can't grow GSP?!?!?! Seriously though, I bought a frag about a week and a half ago or so and followed some youtube videos on how to "frag" it so I could get it into smaller pieces to glue to the back of the wall. After that, they haven't opened up almost at all since then. I've listed my parameters too just in case but I can't imagine they are the issue as my other corals are doing great.

Parameters as of this afternoon:
Salinity - 1.026
pH - 8.5
nitrate - 5
Phosphate - 0.02ish
Alk - 9.8
Calc - 417
(need to get a new Mag test kit)

IMG_6616.jpg IMG_6617.jpg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the blue looking bits the glue and the brown bits the GSP? The stolon should be purple and bumpy when the polyps are closed but I see no purple or bumps? Was it open before you fragged it?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look good, so nothing wrong there. Keep in mind GSP is pretty resilient and when it takes off, IT TAKES OFF!!! It looks like you may need to brush off the brown diatoms on the surface with a soft toothbrush but other than that I would give it plenty of time. before you know it you'll be giving it away for free like me:rolleyes:
D83A2CD3-6C75-4D34-B12F-C6EF52276ADF.jpeg

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to get my back wall of GSP going but I think my tank is the only one in the world that can't grow GSP?!?!?! Seriously though, I bought a frag about a week and a half ago or so and followed some youtube videos on how to "frag" it so I could get it into smaller pieces to glue to the back of the wall. After that, they haven't opened up almost at all since then. I've listed my parameters too just in case but I can't imagine they are the issue as my other corals are doing great.

Parameters as of this afternoon:
Salinity - 1.026
pH - 8.5
nitrate - 5
Phosphate - 0.02ish
Alk - 9.8
Calc - 417
(need to get a new Mag test kit)

IMG_6616.jpg IMG_6617.jpg
This looks like you glued it polyp side down. If that brown is a piece of rock that it came on, then I would say you glued the wrong side.

I could be wrong though....just what it looks like.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look good, so nothing wrong there. Keep in mind GSP is pretty resilient and when it takes off, IT TAKES OFF!!! It looks like you may need to brush off the brown diatoms on the surface with a soft toothbrush but other than that I would give it plenty of time. before you know it you'll be giving it away for free like me:rolleyes:
D83A2CD3-6C75-4D34-B12F-C6EF52276ADF.jpeg
Wow!
Stunning display

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the blue looking bits the glue and the brown bits the GSP? The stolon should be purple and bumpy when the polyps are closed but I see no purple or bumps? Was it open before you fragged it?
Yes, it was opened before I fragged and I glued it down the same as it was glued on the frag plug.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp can take a week or two to open after moving, even longer after fragging. So long as it’s not disintegrating, I wouldn’t worry.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the same thing once before with similar results. I recently inserted magnets on the back of Marco Rock, that I placed on the back wall. So my next step is to glue the GSP to the rocks

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY GSP took about 4 months sitting in the same spot before it started growing. It goes crazy now. I move the frag around the tank. When it's moved, it takes a couple months in the new spot before it starts growing.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back