GSP taking over - How to remove

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I thought it was a good idea last year to put some GSP on my front rock. It is now taking over and I need to remove it. I would prefer not to remove the rock as it is epoxied to other rocks. Is it as simple as peeling the mat off or is it harder than that?

20191003_194318.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peel up a corner with a razor and it should peel off

I am going to give it a go over the weekend. I was reading that if the surface is porous like mine then it is a pain to remove.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling that I am going to have to break the rock off the attached piece and remove from the tank. Not looking forward to that o_O

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! GSP and xenia are the two things I won't put in my new tank. Had them before and thought it was a good idea lol

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in knowing if it can be removed also. It is taking over my JBJ 28. I just removed a gallon zip loc bag of it. I posted a photo on another thread, but this is my tank now and it started as a small amount on an isolated rock.
25ADF9CF-149E-471A-8800-E9B9575F83FF.jpeg

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am interested in knowing if it can be removed also. It is taking over my JBJ 28. I just removed a gallon zip loc bag of it. I posted a photo on another thread, but this is my tank now and it started as a small amount on an isolated rock.
25ADF9CF-149E-471A-8800-E9B9575F83FF.jpeg
Scrape it off and send it to me! I'm wanting more GSP!

GSP can be shipped USPS Priority Mail without any issues.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once covering a rock GSP is nearly impossible to remove and even if you think you got all of it, some will grow back.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with ziplock-bags full that can priority mail go Ohio, I will take as much as I can get!!!! Will pay for large sheets of it!

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I learned some time ago, Red Sea's Aipastia-X works good to keep GSP from spreading!!! Put a line along the edge of the mat and it will die off for a few months. You can use that to push it back.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting it off the rock is going to be hard you're most likely going to have to remove the rock. I isolated mine on it's own rock away from anything else in the corner of the tank but it's still able to spread to the back glass even though it's not touching it.

Anyone with ziplock-bags full that can priority mail go Ohio, I will take as much as I can get!!!! Will pay for large sheets of it!
Good to know because I pull matts of it off the back glass every few months.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol if I can get it out then I will airmail this stuff to you! However, I am really stressing this as I am probably going to have to remove the rock. This bottom rock is an anchor that is expoxied to the other rocks. Removing this could cause top pieces to top over with the other corals. :oops:

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the coral to close then you'll be able to see the mat of the coral. With a blade or razor, it's very easy to peel off.

Shouldn't be an issue getting it to close. It is fully covered over a pourous rock. If I get the end of the mat then do you think it will be easy to lift and peel off?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%

Back