GSP taking over - How to remove

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting some myself as well. After everyone who has dibs is done if there’s any left let me know. I’d like a small bit.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's how I'd trim the colony we had. Never seemed to be an issue

I dont mind keeping it where it is. My wife has been a little upset because she doesnt want it gone. It is starting to go up the other rocks and I dont want it taking over. My Hollywood Stunner is in a daily battle with the GSP with its sweeper tentacles.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill a pyrex with 2 cups of tank water, zap it in microwave for 5 minutes, and shoot the boiling water with a turkey baster where you don't want GSP. Much much easier and much more effective than scraping, in my experience.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill a pyrex with 2 cups of tank water, zap it in microwave for 5 minutes, and shoot the boiling water with a turkey baster where you don't want GSP. Much much easier and much more effective than scraping, in my experience.

Does the hot water kill the GSP and allow for easier removal or does it stay in place?

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna be a mess removing it from the rock. I would remove the rock at that point. However, the picture of it on the back wall have gotten my attention!!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck today. Unable to remove rock. I did manage to move the structure in a more manageable area to work with in the future. I will just need to keep it in check and make sure it doesnt spread. Upside is I bumped my birds nest and now have 4 new frags along with 5 frags of GSP for trade at my LFS. :)

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag plug covered in GSP, it was the original piece I bought. Accidentally snapped it off the rock that’s now covered in the stuff. I’m sure I’ll be doing the same thing soon. In the meantime this frag plug is available, also I can scrape it off the frag shelf.
Tank lights are out for the night, PM me if interested in this piece.
Thanks

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I learned some time ago, Red Sea's Aipastia-X works good to keep GSP from spreading!!! Put a line along the edge of the mat and it will die off for a few months. You can use that to push it back.
Good to know. ;Shamefullyembarrased

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be late but im also willing to pay for shipped GSP plan on using to cover my back glass since i didnt paint it

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mind keeping it where it is. My wife has been a little upset because she doesnt want it gone. It is starting to go up the other rocks and I dont want it taking over. My Hollywood Stunner is in a daily battle with the GSP with its sweeper tentacles.
I always like GSP, had bunch growing on rocks and the overflow. It was nice watching it move with the flow and the mandarin always hung out in the GSP.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a try. Based on what happens you will know what to do. My experience is t comes right up. Also, when it gets out of hand I take scissors to it. Good luck.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like GSP, had bunch growing on rocks and the overflow. It was nice watching it move with the flow and the mandarin always hung out in the GSP.

I like it as well and dont want to remove it all. I just dont want it to spread and take over the rock work near my SPS.

NOBOGYZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send it to me. I love GSP...trying to fill my whole tank up with it.
You said GSP can be shipped priority mail.....how would you do this....wrapped in wet newspaper? Something else?

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You said GSP can be shipped priority mail.....how would you do this....wrapped in wet newspaper? Something else?

The GSP I've been buying has arrived in ziplock plastic sandwich baggies (tripled bagged) with just enough water in them to cover the GSP during the trip.

N83RT83R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be an issue getting it to close. It is fully covered over a pourous rock. If I get the end of the mat then do you think it will be easy to lift and peel off?
No. I have it all over my large porous rock and tbh using pliers to remove pieces of the rock has been the only effective method

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back