Guide to the Triton Method

Discussion in 'Triton Applied Reef Bioscience' started by Tim@Triton, Apr 5, 2017.

1. madcanary

madcanary Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I added a mj1200 running along the bottom so the sump remains pretty clear now it was horrible before. There is still a lot of detritus in my cheato tho. I guess it’s part of the “cycle” I did shake my cheato out in a bucket of tank water idk what to do honestly I can get anymore flow I’m running an L1 at 80% on a 150 anymore flow and my sump sounds like Niagera falls.

2. Jaculus

Jaculus Active Member R2R Supporter

I understand now a little more why they recommend 10x flow rate lol. In theory that would keep that detritus in suspension longer

3. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Can't wait to start, but still waiting for my tank to be delivered lol. End of this month

4. Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii Active Member

I’ve seen a Small powerhead used to keep the detritus in suspension to allow the refugium to do it’s job..

madcanary likes this.
  5. Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii Active Member

Lol I didn’t see this post!

6. Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk Active Member

Hi everyone and Tim,

I have a reefer 350 and planning to use the Triton core 7. I am wondering if my sump modification with 7.5 gallon space for cheatos with around 80 gallon total water volume can be use to run Triton core 7. Currently I have no algea in the display as I’m running cheatos, GFO, and carbon reactor beside my skimmer.

Picture below: I make the first part of my sump as refegium as the cheato will have first contact with water from the display. Will this 7.5 space support the Triton core 7 method? Thanks!

3C71B6B9-B80F-4FE0-A8AD-F90906859D56.jpeg

7. Terry Carter

Terry Carter New Member

sorry if this has been asked before I've read the whole thread and my mind has gone blank lol

Im just starting to dose core7 my current volume is 450 litres so worked out at 9ml per bottle per day aiming for 7dkh currently 6.1 will increase dosage as and when required

pump A 23:00 5ml and 4:00 4ml
    pump B 23:10 5ml and 4:10 4ml
    pump C 23:20 5ml and 4:20 4ml
    pump D 23:30 5ml and 4:30 4ml

basically timed so each dose is 10 mins apart it that long enough apart so they don't react with each other

8. powers2001

powers2001 started reefing 1999 R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I have a question about my refuge light. I have a RSR 250 (66 gallon system) with Triton Synergy Sump that has right at 10% system volume in the refuge compartment. My refuge light is a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue. Is this okay with spectrum? It's for fish and corals while the A80 Tuna Flora is specifically for refuges. I would like to use my Tuna Blue. Also how high above the refuge should I have my light?

9. powers2001

Forgot to mention the refuge footprint is 10.5" x 14.5" and the recommended spread for the Kessil A80 is 18" x 18". Anyone guess how far above the refuge the light should be? Any indication of PAR?

10. powers2001

Since I have a reef with right at 10% of total system volume making up the refugium I would use the "Triton Method Base Elements Core7"?

11. Murica

Murica Well-Known Member

I'm having difficulty trying to find this.. Do I have to send my water sample to Germany or is this company in the USA as well?

12. Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

The 10x turnover is to ensure that the entire system volume is sent through the algae filter sufficiently and not to create two distinct zones within the system, if you cannot achieve 10x that does not mean the system will not work, just the efficiency of the filter may reduce slightly. There are also other benefits of a higher through flow, macro algae grows better in a high energy environment, detritus is kept in suspension longer enabling it to be either utilised by the algae or skimmed out.

You can use a 3 head dose by combining solutions 3A and 3B and double dosing that channel.

Tobbe, Clayton Jessup and Pelagic One like this.
  13. Jack Wang

Jack Wang Member R2R Supporter

Hey @Tim@Triton,

I’m considering the Triton Method, but my skimmer chamber is before my refugium. Will i still be able to run Core7. In addtion, my sump is cube shaped, so i’m curious if that’ll effect anything.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  14. LouieP

LouieP Active Member R2R Supporter West Palm Beach Reefer Build Thread Contributor

You mail your sample to Ca.

15. Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

The cube shape will make no difference. If your skimmer is first just make sure that you dose downstream of it, and into an area of very high flow.

16. Night Reefer

Night Reefer Active Member R2R Supporter West Palm Beach Reefer

I would like to know the answer to this question also. Great thread full of info I am ready to start once my rock cycles

17. johnzena

johnzena Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  18. Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald Active Member R2R Supporter NJRC Member

Running "Core 7 Triton Method" for a year and I want to change to "Core 7 Triton Other Methods". I do not have a full method sump but with the Kessel 380 'frug light I've been getting away with it until now. Fighting Dino's for the last couple of months which killed 75% of my corals and thinking maybe the extra stuff in Full Triton Method may be wrong for my tank so I bought "Other Methods". My question is can I just change to Other Methods from Full Triton Method without problems with alk, mag and cal or will this change everything with my dosing "going ape". Realize the 'frug might act differently. Are the chemicals the same % with only plant growth type stuff added or is it a completely different mix?

19. Night Reefer

From what I read the only difference between the two products is one has algae enhancers to help the algae grow in your sump.So switching over to other methods may be exactly what you looking for. Just keep an eye on your phosphates and nitrates

Oberst Oswald likes this.
  20. Night Reefer

Tim, I have read that you should dose in a high flow area (in the Refugium) I also read that it should be after the protein skimmer and in your return chamber. Dosing in your return chamber will cause premature failure to your return pump. Just need clafication.

Draft saved Draft deleted