Guide to the Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am puzzled why the refugium is before the skimmer. the pods will go into the skimmer instead of the tank. The skimmer does not take it all away from the refugium and some could be diverted directly yo the refugium, but I just don't get the best part of the filter being first. I am going on 4 plus years and have had great results.

flex13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post this again... Fixes to the most common balance issues....

Solutions to "balance issues"

Scenario 1
Alk Low
Ca Low
Mg Low
Solution - Raise all equally

Scenario 2
Alk High
Ca High
Mg High
Solution - Lower all equally

Scenario 3
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose

Scenario 4
Alk Low
Ca Ok
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON CO3 liquid buffer/NaHCO DIY Salts to raise Alk then maintain

Scenario 5
Alk Ok
Ca Low
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Calcium liquid buffer/CaCl2 DIY Salts to raise Ca then maintain

Scenario 6
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg Low
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Magnesium liquid buffer/MgCl2 DIY Salts to raise Mg then maintain

Scenario 7
Alk Ok
Ca High
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose on channels 1/3a/3b reduce dose of channel 2 until Calcium level drops to required amount.

Scenario 8
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg High
Solution - Maintain dose, water change to reduce elevated Magnesium levels. (Only if Mg very high)

Scenario 9
Alk Ok
Ca High
Mg High
Solution - Check KH test for accuracy, reduce dose of all solutions, set KH to 7 and retest.

This should on the top as a sticky with a f FAQ :)

OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am puzzled why the refugium is before the skimmer. the pods will go into the skimmer instead of the tank. The skimmer does not take it all away from the refugium and some could be diverted directly yo the refugium, but I just don't get the best part of the filter being first. I am going on 4 plus years and have had great results.
We found through testing that the algae refugium worked at it's most efficient when it was first inline to the system nutrients, we did not see any evidence of pod populations being skimmed out.

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was pretty clear until I read these 12 pages. I would suggest Triton provide the following type of chart.

There are 3 true Triton options:
Triton Method Base Elements
Triton Method Base Elements Core7
"Other Method" Reef Supplements Core7

This one is most likely not correct! It's just my example:
Fish only system: No Triton Method Applies
Reef with small refugium: Triton Method Base Elements
Reef with algae reactor: "Other Method" Reef Supplements Core7
Reef with sufficient refugium: Triton Method Base Elements Core7

I have a unique dual reefer setup. I have a 92 gallon display next to a 34 gallon display, both draining into a 24 gallon sump. My 34 gallon display is a display refugium with 3 seahorses and a few critters and coral. There should be plenty of macro to run the Triton Method, so I'm assuming I fall into the Triton Method Base Elements Core7 protocol. Even though the refugium isn't directly getting the main display's nutrients, the seahorses are little poop machines and the entire water volume does eventually cycle through there.

If I'm wrong on what I should use, please let me know. I have 2 DOS components, so it should be an easy switch from 2-part plus mag dosing.

EDIT: Also, if I was buying trace additives as well, which should I buy up front? (I'm trying to take advantage of the BRS black friday sale)

Last edited:

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fowlr tank wouldn't have enough consumption to use the elements, so no. As long as you have corals, soft or hard, then you have consumption. The system will work with any coral, but some have more demand. You can start the method now. You just wouldn't have as much demand as a fully stocked tank. It system may only use 2ml a day of each bottle, but that's fine.

Thanks this makes sense. Ok this really helps me decide and plan it out. thanks!!

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post this again... Fixes to the most common balance issues....

Solutions to "balance issues"

Scenario 1
Alk Low
Ca Low
Mg Low
Solution - Raise all equally

Scenario 2
Alk High
Ca High
Mg High
Solution - Lower all equally

Scenario 3
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose

Scenario 4
Alk Low
Ca Ok
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON CO3 liquid buffer/NaHCO DIY Salts to raise Alk then maintain

Scenario 5
Alk Ok
Ca Low
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Calcium liquid buffer/CaCl2 DIY Salts to raise Ca then maintain

Scenario 6
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg Low
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Magnesium liquid buffer/MgCl2 DIY Salts to raise Mg then maintain

Scenario 7
Alk Ok
Ca High
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose on channels 1/3a/3b reduce dose of channel 2 until Calcium level drops to required amount.

Scenario 8
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg High
Solution - Maintain dose, water change to reduce elevated Magnesium levels. (Only if Mg very high)

Scenario 9
Alk Ok
Ca High
Mg High
Solution - Check KH test for accuracy, reduce dose of all solutions, set KH to 7 and retest.

Wow. first thanks for posting the details. But I have to be honest, it's starting to sound more confusing and not as straightforward as I thought. So the base core elements may not be enough as there's at least 3 other "liquid buffers" called out. Second, so Alk, CA, and Mg are the 3 things to test ongoing? And to Jsbull's point above, there's at least two different sets of "elements" to add.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not difficult at all, 99% of users will not have to follow any of the examples above. They are purely there to show you the simple fix should you need it.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to get in on the conversation and have some questions as well. I don't have time to read the 12+ pages of this thread yet. I'm excited about possibilities for the manufacture and marketing of affordable, reasonably small but still effective, sit-beside refuges that can be plumbed into already setup systems. A specific design of a refuge that worked well is the CPR hang-ons that have fell out of much popularity but an advanced regeneration might prove to be very well thought of.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does it make a difference if one type of liverock is more or less competitive with algae at removing nutrients than another type of liverock? Or should I ask if porous pukani is less desirable than a less porous liverock?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question on the sump.. Can I add seachem matrix in the first chamber under the chaeto? then I wanted to add 1-2 marinepure blocks. is that going to be an issue?

bergman58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Tim@Triton
im in the planning stage of setting up a 12foot by 2.5 foot hig and 80cm deep tank with an 8foot by 2 foot sump. Due to health issues with my daughter i need a tank that is minimum maintenance wise and am considering the triton method. However im in australia and cant seem to find anywhere to buy the core7 or enough information on how to begin a tank using triton. Can you send me more information please?

OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bergman

We are working on it! We are in the final stages of getting the entire product line into Oz, as you can imagine there are quite a few hoops to jump through.

Cairns marine will be distributing for us around Australia so tay tuned for updates, we are hoping to get it wrapped up in the next couple of weeks and then it will just be a case of waiting for the products to arrive..

jwstephens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with my dosing regime?
- Tank is currently a 120 sitting at 11ml/day
- I break the dose in half every 12 hours (5ml + 6ml)
- I also dose the different parts 30 minutes apart (Should I tighten this up to 10 mins apart)

cwk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a question. I don't have a sump and thought about the triton other method but I don't really understand why I can't use the normal bottles. BRS says the concentration is higher but what does the higher concentration require a refugium? What's in the bottles exactly? Just trace elements?

OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with my dosing regime?
- Tank is currently a 120 sitting at 11ml/day
- I break the dose in half every 12 hours (5ml + 6ml)
- I also dose the different parts 30 minutes apart (Should I tighten this up to 10 mins apart)
The only issue with only dosing twice a day is the element spike you may experience, if you can split them some more it would be better. As long as there is at least 5 mins in between each solution then that is enough.

OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a question. I don't have a sump and thought about the triton other method but I don't really understand why I can't use the normal bottles. BRS says the concentration is higher but what does the higher concentration require a refugium? What's in the bottles exactly? Just trace elements?
It is not the concentration in general that is higher, it is the concentration of certain elements. Those elements are responsible for promoting the growth of macro algae, so without macro algae they will either accumulate or fuel algae growth elsewhere.

jwstephens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue with only dosing twice a day is the element spike you may experience, if you can split them some more it would be better. As long as there is at least 5 mins in between each solution then that is enough.
Thanks Tim 'll update the interval to 3x's (every 8 hours) and even it out to about 4ml each dose

jjn42b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim,

I am hoping you can give me some guidance as I am currently using the balling method and am looking at if moving to the Triton method if practical.

I have a 680l tank with and 425l sump. The sump has a rollermat in the first section with the skimmer before a large 2’x3’x18” section, this only houses two reactors. And a final section for the return. The middle section I can use with cheato or the like and can light.

If I move to triton does that mean removing the rollermat, and would I have to move the skimmer?

Or if I leave as is do I use the other method? And would I still put cheato in the middle section?

If you could provide some guidance and options on this and a bit of a guide as to how to move from balling to the recommended triton method it would be much appreciated

thanks
Jason

Albert Angulo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when setting up a sump the refugium the line from the tank going into the bulk head does that have to go direct into the refuguim or into a compartment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back