Guide to the Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim,

I am hoping you can give me some guidance as I am currently using the balling method and am looking at if moving to the Triton method if practical.

I have a 680l tank with and 425l sump. The sump has a rollermat in the first section with the skimmer before a large 2’x3’x18” section, this only houses two reactors. And a final section for the return. The middle section I can use with cheato or the like and can light.

If I move to triton does that mean removing the rollermat, and would I have to move the skimmer?

Or if I leave as is do I use the other method? And would I still put cheato in the middle section?

If you could provide some guidance and options on this and a bit of a guide as to how to move from balling to the recommended triton method it would be much appreciated

thanks
Jason
Hi Jason

You have two options. Go full Triton and modify your system, or continue with your system as is and use Reef Supplements to replace your current dosing method.

If you want to go full Triton then that would involve modifying your sump to reflect the Triton specifications, removing the RollerMat, increasing the size of algae refugium, moving the skimmer into the second chamber...

However, if you are happy with the way your system is running then you can leave it as it is and simply change your dosing from the balling method over to Core7 Reef Supplements (Other Methods)....

Any system will benefit from the addition of an algae section in my opinion.

Whichever route your chose to take the dosing changeover is the same, the most accurate way to work out the equivalent dose of Core7 is to work out your daily Alk drop. Measure Alk on day 1, do not dose anything, measure the following day (same time of day) and see how much your Alk has dropped, put that info into this calculator here (official one coming soon) and that will tell you your approx equivalent dose of Core7.

Albert Angulo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way is to drain direct into the algae chamber.
Hi I am new to modern reefs but I have done allot of research and have decided to do a 57 gallon reef Triton method. I am building a custom sump and can't find one last detail anywhere for your system in my sump the main supply line from the tank going into the refugium how should the inlet go ?
With a simple bulkhead and the pipe directly into the refugium as in option A? This would give me a bit for volume in the refugium section and I feel would force the water through the vegetation and force water flow through the the space.
Option B would only have one baffle just enough for the pipe and flow would only go in one direction.
Or option C that would be a complete enclosed section forcing the water to go over the baffle and this method would seam to me that once the vegetation gets growing would only flow the water across the top of the refugium section and then run off the baffle into skimmer section but I don't think the water would flow sufficiently through the plants in this manor.
I have seen sumps made all three ways, so I was unsure which direction to go in.
I am looking for optimal results and performance out of the refugium.
In my setup the refugium will be 9 gallons with the Kessel purple led light that is around $300.

options.jpg

nycjwi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim,
Is there someone in Los Angeles who works with Triton that I can contact to help me setup a Triton System?
thx

nycjwi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim,
Is there someone in Los Angeles, CA that I can contact to help me setup a Triton System?
Thx

jjn42b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jason

You have two options. Go full Triton and modify your system, or continue with your system as is and use Reef Supplements to replace your current dosing method.

If you want to go full Triton then that would involve modifying your sump to reflect the Triton specifications, removing the RollerMat, increasing the size of algae refugium, moving the skimmer into the second chamber...

However, if you are happy with the way your system is running then you can leave it as it is and simply change your dosing from the balling method over to Core7 Reef Supplements (Other Methods)....

Any system will benefit from the addition of an algae section in my opinion.

Whichever route your chose to take the dosing changeover is the same, the most accurate way to work out the equivalent dose of Core7 is to work out your daily Alk drop. Measure Alk on day 1, do not dose anything, measure the following day (same time of day) and see how much your Alk has dropped, put that info into this calculator here (official one coming soon) and that will tell you your approx equivalent dose of Core7.

Thanks for the response Tim,
My plan from the above is to keep the rollermat in section 1 along with the skimmer. Then in section 2 i am going to have a cheato refugium with a suitable light which will be about 150l (15% of system size, 22% tank size) then into section 3 for the return pump. i have 2 reactors for phospate remover and carbon and a UV off the return pump.

would this still require the other method? and if it does will it mean i have to continue my water change program as well? Also would i still require coral foods, i beleive you do not need these with the full method as the cheato die off covers this.

thanks

jason

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great informative article Tim! I actually got the info from my LFS in New Orleans. I'm looking at a 30 L to build into a new sump for Triton and he had the info on hand!

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. If you were dosing 2mL for all 4 components, then you would double that amount for the combined 3a / 3b solution. Every part gets dosed equally.

Ok thank you very much minus9! I am debating between Triton Method or AquaForest so I am still trying to decide and researching both options . Thank you again .

OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question with this is what impact it will have on copepods. With direct and high flow will this allow copepods and amphipods a chance to thrive
There will still be plenty of areas with lower flow for the pod communities to thrive, one or two pieces of Live Rock can also be added if required..

reefpulp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lurking on this forum for a while and now I am in need of some advice. I have a RSR 350 (71 gallon display, 93 gallon total) and am wanting to convert to the Triton method. I have a few questions. I have the ability to do a remote refugium in the room behind my tank. I'm planning on using a 20 gallon tank. Should I do an easier setup and run the fuge off a tee from the return line or should I route the overflow drain from the DT directly into the remote fuge? If I do that, do I just re route just the primary drain or the primary and the emergency drain? (I am a noob to plumbing but have learned a lot reading on R2R and BRS) How important is it that the refugium is before the skimmer and return when running Triton? Will dosing into the return chamber be a problem if I run the fuge off the return line?
Also, I will need to upgrade my return pump. I currently have the Sicce 5.0 and have been happy with it but I will need more flow to run a manifold and the remote refugium. Would adding a second Sicce 5.0 be too much flow and create too much back pressure? I am considering the more expensive option of using a larger DC pump such as Varios 6 or 8; Sicce 7 or 9; Eco Tech m1. Any advice is appreciated, I'm fairly new to the hobby but I'm not broke yet.

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your best running from the return! i have a ALR2 setup next to the sump in the other door area. i pump from the return section through algae reactor and then the outlet goes back into the skimmer section. its great as the sump still stays nice and clean. once every couple of weeks i remove the reactor, clean/rinse the algae in fresh saltwater. if it requires trimming its the perfect time.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim,
I’ve been in the process of converting my system (187g)over to Triton. I just plumbed in a new sump that is in accordance to what is required. I have two main issues at this point. Flow/turn over- I don’t think I can achieve the 10x turnover rate as the tank is drilled with 1” bulkheads. Unless I drain the tank and run exterior plumbing up the back , I think and hope the best I can achieve with the 1” is maybe 5-7 times turn over. How badly could this effect the system/method effectiveness?
Dosing- can this be done with a three head doser or must it be done with 4?

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Triton tank is 1 year old!! My only problem is keeping all the detritus out of my refugium cheato without filter socks I’m also running the synergy triton TS44 it’s a perfect match.
Tank seems happy around 7 Dkh

323081B2-EF2D-4B9F-9D42-53D9A6882734.jpeg

The Detritus in the first chamber with the chaeto is my only big issue also so far for me also. I may just use my old canister filter filled with filter floss to clean it out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back