Guide to the Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Detritus in the first chamber with the chaeto is my only big issue also so far for me also. I may just use my old canister filter filled with filter floss to clean it out.
I added a mj1200 running along the bottom so the sump remains pretty clear now it was horrible before. There is still a lot of detritus in my cheato tho. I guess it’s part of the “cycle” I did shake my cheato out in a bucket of tank water idk what to do honestly I can get anymore flow I’m running an L1 at 80% on a 150 anymore flow and my sump sounds like Niagera falls.

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand now a little more why they recommend 10x flow rate lol. In theory that would keep that detritus in suspension longer

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Triton tank is 1 year old!! My only problem is keeping all the detritus out of my refugium cheato without filter socks I’m also running the synergy triton TS44 it’s a perfect match.
Tank seems happy around 7 Dkh

323081B2-EF2D-4B9F-9D42-53D9A6882734.jpeg

I’ve seen a Small powerhead used to keep the detritus in suspension to allow the refugium to do it’s job..

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a mj1200 running along the bottom so the sump remains pretty clear now it was horrible before. There is still a lot of detritus in my cheato tho. I guess it’s part of the “cycle” I did shake my cheato out in a bucket of tank water idk what to do honestly I can get anymore flow I’m running an L1 at 80% on a 150 anymore flow and my sump sounds like Niagera falls.
Lol I didn’t see this post!

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone and Tim,

I have a reefer 350 and planning to use the Triton core 7. I am wondering if my sump modification with 7.5 gallon space for cheatos with around 80 gallon total water volume can be use to run Triton core 7. Currently I have no algea in the display as I’m running cheatos, GFO, and carbon reactor beside my skimmer.

Picture below: I make the first part of my sump as refegium as the cheato will have first contact with water from the display. Will this 7.5 space support the Triton core 7 method? Thanks!

3C71B6B9-B80F-4FE0-A8AD-F90906859D56.jpeg

Terry Carter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if this has been asked before I've read the whole thread and my mind has gone blank lol

Im just starting to dose core7 my current volume is 450 litres so worked out at 9ml per bottle per day aiming for 7dkh currently 6.1 will increase dosage as and when required

pump A 23:00 5ml and 4:00 4ml
pump B 23:10 5ml and 4:10 4ml
pump C 23:20 5ml and 4:20 4ml
pump D 23:30 5ml and 4:30 4ml

basically timed so each dose is 10 mins apart it that long enough apart so they don't react with each other

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about my refuge light. I have a RSR 250 (66 gallon system) with Triton Synergy Sump that has right at 10% system volume in the refuge compartment. My refuge light is a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue. Is this okay with spectrum? It's for fish and corals while the A80 Tuna Flora is specifically for refuges. I would like to use my Tuna Blue. Also how high above the refuge should I have my light?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about my refuge light. I have a RSR 250 (66 gallon system) with Triton Synergy Sump that has right at 10% system volume in the refuge compartment. My refuge light is a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue. Is this okay with spectrum? It's for fish and corals while the Kessil A80 Tuna Flora is specifically for refuges. I would like to use my Tuna Blue. Also how high above the refuge should I have my light?
Forgot to mention the refuge footprint is 10.5" x 14.5" and the recommended spread for the Kessil A80 is 18" x 18". Anyone guess how far above the refuge the light should be? Any indication of PAR?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish only system: No Triton Method Applies
Reef with small refugium: Triton Method Base Elements
Reef with algae reactor: "Other Method" Reef Supplements Core7
Reef with sufficient refugium: Triton Method Base Elements Core7
Since I have a reef with right at 10% of total system volume making up the refugium I would use the "Triton Method Base Elements Core7"?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having difficulty trying to find this.. Do I have to send my water sample to Germany or is this company in the USA as well?

OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim,
I’ve been in the process of converting my system (187g)over to Triton. I just plumbed in a new sump that is in accordance to what is required. I have two main issues at this point. Flow/turn over- I don’t think I can achieve the 10x turnover rate as the tank is drilled with 1” bulkheads. Unless I drain the tank and run exterior plumbing up the back , I think and hope the best I can achieve with the 1” is maybe 5-7 times turn over. How badly could this effect the system/method effectiveness?
Dosing- can this be done with a three head doser or must it be done with 4?
The 10x turnover is to ensure that the entire system volume is sent through the algae filter sufficiently and not to create two distinct zones within the system, if you cannot achieve 10x that does not mean the system will not work, just the efficiency of the filter may reduce slightly. There are also other benefits of a higher through flow, macro algae grows better in a high energy environment, detritus is kept in suspension longer enabling it to be either utilised by the algae or skimmed out.

You can use a 3 head dose by combining solutions 3A and 3B and double dosing that channel.

Jack Wang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Tim@Triton,

I’m considering the Triton Method, but my skimmer chamber is before my refugium. Will i still be able to run Core7. In addtion, my sump is cube shaped, so i’m curious if that’ll effect anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Tim@Triton,

I’m considering the Triton Method, but my skimmer chamber is before my refugium. Will I still be able to run Core7? In addition, my sump is cube-shaped, so I’m curious if that’ll affect anything.

The cube shape will make no difference. If your skimmer is first just make sure that you dose downstream of it, and into an area of very high flow.

Night Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to modern reefs but I have done allot of research and have decided to do a 57 gallon reef Triton method. I am building a custom sump and can't find one last detail anywhere for your system in my sump the main supply line from the tank going into the refugium how should the inlet go ?
With a simple bulkhead and the pipe directly into the refugium as in option A? This would give me a bit for volume in the refugium section and I feel would force the water through the vegetation and force water flow through the the space.
Option B would only have one baffle just enough for the pipe and flow would only go in one direction.
Or option C that would be a complete enclosed section forcing the water to go over the baffle and this method would seam to me that once the vegetation gets growing would only flow the water across the top of the refugium section and then run off the baffle into skimmer section but I don't think the water would flow sufficiently through the plants in this manor.
I have seen sumps made all three ways, so I was unsure which direction to go in.
I am looking for optimal results and performance out of the refugium.
In my setup the refugium will be 9 gallons with the Kessel purple led light that is around $300.

options.jpg
I would like to know the answer to this question also. Great thread full of info I am ready to start once my rock cycles

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running "Core 7 Triton Method" for a year and I want to change to "Core 7 Triton Other Methods". I do not have a full method sump but with the Kessel 380 'frug light I've been getting away with it until now. Fighting Dino's for the last couple of months which killed 75% of my corals and thinking maybe the extra stuff in Full Triton Method may be wrong for my tank so I bought "Other Methods". My question is can I just change to Other Methods from Full Triton Method without problems with alk, mag and cal or will this change everything with my dosing "going ape". Realize the 'frug might act differently. Are the chemicals the same % with only plant growth type stuff added or is it a completely different mix?

Night Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read the only difference between the two products is one has algae enhancers to help the algae grow in your sump.So switching over to other methods may be exactly what you looking for. Just keep an eye on your phosphates and nitrates
Running "Core 7 Triton Method" for a year and I want to change to "Core 7 Triton Other Methods". I do not have a full method sump but with the Kessel 380 'frug light I've been getting away with it until now. Fighting Dino's for the last couple of months which killed 75% of my corals and thinking maybe the extra stuff in Full Triton Method may be wrong for my tank so I bought "Other Methods". My question is can I just change to Other Methods from Full Triton Method without problems with alk, mag and cal or will this change everything with my dosing "going ape". Realize the 'frug might act differently. Are the chemicals the same % with only plant growth type stuff added or is it a completely different mix?

Night Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim, I have read that you should dose in a high flow area (in the Refugium) I also read that it should be after the protein skimmer and in your return chamber. Dosing in your return chamber will cause premature failure to your return pump. Just need clafication.

Back