Guide to the Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tobbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dose it in return chamber, just done it 4 months or so but haven't notice any problem high flow and it mix fast

OP
OP
Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim, I have read that you should dose in a high flow area (in the Refugium) I also read that it should be after the protein skimmer and in your return chamber. Dosing in your return chamber will cause premature failure to your return pump. Just need clafication.
As long as the solutions are disbursed into high flow then there should not be an issue dosing into the return chamber. If you only have a slow return pump then I would not recommend dosing into that area as the solution could precipitate in the plumbing. You can dose into most areas of the system but ideally the skimmer should be last in line.

Night Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way my system is set up I have a 40 gallon tank that is the Refugium and attached I have a 29 gallon tank that’s divided into three sections skimmer then the return pump and 10 gallon auto top off. So dosing into the refugoum or return should be fine correct?

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered my new glass baffles to be cut for a new sump. Switching over soon [emoji4] is there an advantage to going over 10 % in the refugium and could you share any ideas of the best way to check return flow rate please? I have 2 return heads.

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered my new glass baffles to be cut for a new sump. Switching over soon [emoji4] is there an advantage to going over 10 % in the refugium and could you share any ideas of the best way to check return flow rate please? I have 2 return heads.
A really large refugium makes a nice place to put naughty fish... ;-)

All kidding aside the biggest pro is more volume, the con to that is you need to heat and maintain that volume including a higher return flow if you are a strict Tritonist.

If you need to know exact rates, Neptune's Fluid Monitoring Kit works well. It has been sometime since I have looked at standalone options - and someone please chime in if I am off base - but the last time I looked, by the time you found something that could handle the volumes we need while not be overly restrictive (not to mention saltwater safe), were prohibitively expensive.

If close works (as it should in this case), there are calculators available where you can take data from a manufacturer's head chart, add in your piping and fittings and get an estimate for flow into your tank. If you're really into it there was a book written back in the 90's by P.R. Escobal called "Aquatic Systems Engineering: Devices and How They Function".

Wort trying to find a copy - it is a gold mine of information especially for a DIY'er.

M

Night Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On target for everything except the flow rate from the manufacturer and trying to figure it out. I have not found one pump that actually puts out what the manufacturer states. If you can find the true output number then yes it can Getting to the ballpark on your output

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On target for everything except the flow rate from the manufacturer and trying to figure it out. I have not found one pump that actually puts out what the manufacturer states. If you can find the true output number then yes it can Getting to the ballpark on your output
There are many powerful, inexpensive pumps on the market. My problem is the noise eminating from 10X turnover. I have decided to go with highest flow possible without pinning my fish to the glass with flow. I have a seperate refugium and the flow through it is much less. It is a display refugium and my macros would be torn to pieces at 10X flow. Again I opted for the highest flow possible with keeping my plants intact. It is the best I can do and if the method does not work this way I am going to abandon Triton. I believe that the method will work fine as noted above but only time will tell. With a 180 tank, a 75 refugium and a 55 sump I am being asked to flow 3100 gallons an hour through my system. That is a violent, noisy flow.

tacosricos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I would like to switch over to the Triton method soon. I am wondering which supplement is best if my daily alk consumption is only ~.2? I'm guessing the core7 supplements are too concentrated?

kmcgillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been able to find a direct answer to this question... On the "Guide to the Triton Method" PDF, it says that you need 10x "system" turn over in one place, but it also says 10x "main tank" volume per hour. Does anyone know which it is? I have a 108gal main tank, and 50 gallon sump... so this could make a big difference in the amount of flow!

Thanks for the help!

Joe Heavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to lower to 3ML a day now everything is stable. Should note that refugium chloe (tumbling type) is still only about an 1/8th the size of the Trition 44 Sump area but growing 2x each week.
Can I ask how deep you set your triton 44’s water depth? I am about to set mine up any info is helpful

Joe Heavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know too mine should have water in it for a test run by Sunday
So for me so far been running ro water in system for like two weeks. I raised it to 11 1/2” which I really feel is max but I need to cut return tubes so they stick 1” under the water so the bean animal gets started without gurgling. Also it’s best to raise your skimmer if like mine it likes 7.5-8” depth so that you can make the skimmer portion deeper so there is so splashing sound from fuge into it. I tested it with a power failure and that sump handled all the return and drain lines with room to spare my sump in in the basement directly below display. Salt water will behave a bit differently so I will most likely leave drain tubes an inch and a half deep into water. Hope this helps

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for me so far been running ro water in system for like two weeks. I raised it to 11 1/2” which I really feel is max but I need to cut return tubes so they stick 1” under the water so the bean animal gets started without gurgling. Also it’s best to raise your skimmer if like mine it likes 7.5-8” depth so that you can make the skimmer portion deeper so there is so splashing sound from fuge into it. I tested it with a power failure and that sump handled all the return and drain lines with room to spare my sump in in the basement directly below display. Salt water will behave a bit differently so I will most likely leave drain tubes an inch and a half deep into water. Hope this helps
Yes thanks

Joe Heavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thanks
Also a sharpie or electrical tape to mark water lines in fuge and skimmer and pump chamber will help when tuning so you know where you are at. First run it normal and see where the last chamber water level ends up after power outage mark that and it can help you see how much empty space you have to play with in an emergency.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a sharpie or electrical tape to mark water lines in fuge and skimmer and pump chamber will help when tuning so you know where you are at. First run it normal and see where the last chamber water level ends up after power outage mark that and it can help you see how much empty space you have to play with in an emergency.
I got my overflow plumbing done tonight tomorrow will be running pipe for my 2 return pumps and making a manifold. I also have to finish mounting my apex and pump controls. still a lot to do but having fun

Joe Heavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my overflow plumbing done tonight tomorrow will be running pipe for my 2 return pumps and making a manifold. I also have to finish mounting my apex and pump controls. still a lot to do but having fun
It is fun! I felt like a squirrel gathering nuts with all the boxes and plumbing parts. So update sump is running with fuge chamber at its highest I “stole”an inch from my skimmer depth and raised the skimmer to compensate only issue is the weir from fuge to skimmer chamber is a waterfall from the 10X flow. I will design and 3D print a weir silencer to cascade the water and eliminate basement sump noise. It isn’t too loud when watching movies but I am picky lol!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fun! I felt like a squirrel gathering nuts with all the boxes and plumbing parts. So update sump is running with fuge chamber at its highest I “stole”an inch from my skimmer depth and raised the skimmer to compensate only issue is the weir from fuge to skimmer chamber is a waterfall from the 10X flow. I will design and 3D print a weir silencer to cascade the water and eliminate basement sump noise. It isn’t too loud when watching movies but I am picky lol!
Good to know I don't have water in mine yet, I ran out of the pipe I was using, and my pipe stretcher broke, :D so I had to order more but water soon.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back