Gulf Coast

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know of a pet store that sells land snails? My 9 year old has her heart set on some pet snails and the hundreds in my tank aren't cutting it and I can only find slugs around our house, which apparently aren't cute enough.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know of a pet store that sells land snails? My 9 year old has her heart set on some pet snails and the hundreds in my tank aren't cutting it and I can only find slugs around our house, which apparently aren't cute enough.

The only place I know around here that may even sell them would be B&B

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update on my tank. After the Red Sea crashed we had a few ups and downs. We did experience a mini cycle but I started pulling some of the smaller pieces of rocks and frag plugs and dipping them in a peroxide mix, that kills the algae so well it is scary, i mean it really works and I was skeptical. When that tank busted of course we lost fish, but the craziest thing is our Watchman Goby never got ich and we just put them all in copper to get rid of it, the Goby was never the same after copper, he quit eating and acted like he had brain damage. Well we think he finally died this week of malnutrition, he cannot be found and he was not a small fish by any means. So never again, if our fish get sick from here out we are going more the natural route, no chemicals.

Nitrates and Phosphates are starting to bottom out, the macro algae is doing it's job extremely well. We ordered a lid months ago for the new tank and this is what it looks like, very nice. I have a lot of zoas that seem to open early in the day and start to close up later in the day, no idea what is going on with that but since everything else in the tank looks incredible I am not worrying about that much.

We are still producing white worms, taking longer to grow out than what I thought but it is trial and error. Right now we are producing enough to almost feed our tank daily but I do not think we have the moisture and feeding just right to have a population explosion like I want.

20230603_115136(1).jpg

Last edited:

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to know how everyone's tank is doing and do you need any help or advice?
How many fish did you end up losing overall? I understand where you are coming from. I might start buying all pre-quarantined fish.

I like the top. I was hoping to make something like that but it will have to wait until the end of the year.

My tanks have made it as far as they can for now. On the top left is the 35 gallon reef tank, top right is the pistol shrimp tank with the yashia goby, bottom right is the refugium, bottom middle is the sump, and bottom left is the ATO reservoir.

I wanted to make a top for the cabinet, make doors for the cabinet, add the protein skimmer to the sump, make a hood for the reef tank with T5s in it, and a plethora of other little things, but I won't make it that far.
IMG_20230603_203801.jpg

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the Yellow Tang, lost the original sick fish (Royal Gramma) and the watchman goby. You have to understand all of these fish were overly healthy for 2 years until the tank busted. The only fish that got sick was the Gramma, the other two died from copper.

What do you mean, make it that far?
How many fish did you end up losing overall? I understand where you are coming from. I might start buying all pre-quarantined fish.

I like the top. I was hoping to make something like that but it will have to wait until the end of the year.

My tanks have made it as far as they can for now. On the top left is the 35 gallon reef tank, top right is the pistol shrimp tank with the yashia goby, bottom right is the refugium, bottom middle is the sump, and bottom left is the ATO reservoir.

I wanted to make a top for the cabinet, make doors for the cabinet, add the protein skimmer to the sump, make a hood for the reef tank with T5s in it, and a plethora of other little things, but I won't make it that far.
IMG_20230603_203801.jpg

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the Yellow Tang, lost the original sick fish (Royal Gramma) and the watchman goby. You have to understand all of these fish were overly healthy for 2 years until the tank busted. The only fish that got sick was the Gramma, the other two died from copper.

What do you mean, make it that far?
I won't be able to do the other stuff until the end of the year, or later.

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my lighting woes:

I bought an AI Blade Coral Grow that spans the width of my tank. In case anything happens in the future I have some redundancy that is capable of keeping reasonable par levels throughout the entire tank - two XR15's and one AI Blade.

So I mailed my inoperable Gen 5 XR15 to ecotech. They said it had water damage, and would fix it if I covered the cost of the parts. And so I paid them, and instead of repairing the old light, they sent me a brand new Gen 6. So that was a cool surprise. I wasn't even the original owner of the old light.

So anyway, I'm back on track and now have an extra layer of security going forward - if anything happens lighting-wise. I guess due to the time without lighting, my alk is kind of high, so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought an AI Blade Coral Grow that spans the width of my tank. In case anything happens in the future I have some redundancy that is capable of keeping reasonable par levels throughout the entire tank - two XR15's and one AI Blade.

So I mailed my inoperable Gen 5 XR15 to ecotech. They said it had water damage, and would fix it if I covered the cost of the parts. And so I paid them, and instead of repairing the old light, they sent me a brand new Gen 6. So that was a cool surprise. I wasn't even the original owner of the old light.

So anyway, I'm back on track and now have an extra layer of security going forward - if anything happens lighting-wise. I guess due to the time without lighting, my alk is kind of high, so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Does that model come in pro? Did you get the pro or non pro?

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's an awesome update. Let us know how you like the blade

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I want to get back to basics. I was digging through old pictures this morning and had some thoughts, I had even really great success back with my old tank. Memories fail but my pictures go to show, I was able to keep way more fish with zero nuisance algae. If you look at these pictures, yes I had thee yellow tangs in a 75 gallon. Also you will notice, zero nuisance algae, none...nada. I think the secret back then was oversizing your refugium area. I seem to remember by refugium was around 20 gallons and loaded with cup caulerpa. On top of all of those tangs I had two massive clowns and other fish like a hawk fish, etc. If I take my knowledge that I have now, all of this new equipment, techniques and incorporate it all together I will have an excellent tank.

Also look at this massive sump I had, and the height of that skimmer!
PREDATOR.JPG
refugium1.jpg

fulltank-dark.jpg
fulltank-flash.jpg

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I want to get back to basics. I was digging through old pictures this morning and had some thoughts, I had even really great success back with my old tank. Memories fail but my pictures go to show, I was able to keep way more fish with zero nuisance algae. If you look at these pictures, yes I had thee yellow tangs in a 75 gallon. Also you will notice, zero nuisance algae, none...nada. I think the secret back then was oversizing your refugium area. I seem to remember by refugium was around 20 gallons and loaded with cup caulerpa. On top of all of those tangs I had two massive clowns and other fish like a hawk fish, etc. If I take my knowledge that I have now, all of this new equipment, techniques and incorporate it all together I will have an excellent tank.

Also look at this massive sump I had, and the height of that skimmer!
PREDATOR.JPG
refugium1.jpg

fulltank-dark.jpg
fulltank-flash.jpg
That looks great.

How do you anchor the caulerpa so it doesn't just get mixed up with the chaeto?

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great.

How do you anchor the caulerpa so it doesn't just get mixed up with the chaeto?
Well right now it is all together, but in a few hours I am going to redo the sump and put the caulerpa in a different chamber now that I know it will live. The tiny piece I have has tripled it's size in a week.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back