Gyre mounted on overflow box

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering thoughts on mounting a RS Reefwave 25 on my 200xl cube (24 by 24)

I would very much like to mount it a few inches under the overflow for a very clean look but I have heard this can cause issues with detritus in the tank not hitting the overflow, that being said the overflow does have side entrances as well.

Is this possible to work at all or any suggestions how to make it work with this mounting setup?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand fully your question but I have a gyre mounted on the glass panel that my overflow is on. I also have a gyre on the opposite side. I do not see any impact on my turn over rate nor do I see any hindrance. If that is what you mean.

I guess there are two or more views on this. I personally do not like a high turn over rate. I want more contact time in the sump for my skimmer. I also have a pump that feeds a refugium. I guess what I'm saying is I don't see any issues but maybe I'm setup such that it isn't a concern.

In my case I have a Maxspect XF280 that is on the side with my overflow box. The opposite side is a Icecap 4k.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand fully your question but I have a gyre mounted on the glass panel that my overflow is on. I also have a gyre on the opposite side. I do not see any impact on my turn over rate nor do I see any hindrance. If that is what you mean.

I guess there are two or more views on this. I personally do not like a high turn over rate. I want more contact time in the sump for my skimmer. I also have a pump that feeds a refugium. I guess what I'm saying is I don't see any issues but maybe I'm setup such that it isn't a concern.

In my case I have a Maxspect XF280 that is on the side with my overflow box. The opposite side is a Icecap 4k.
Many thanks for the reply, I have attached an image of what I want to achieve - this is a slightly larger tank than my cube, hopefully this explains it a little better.

The single wavemaker is mounted under the overflow

Screenshot_20230730_223413_Chrome.jpg

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an xf280 mounted on my overflow box. I placed the "exterior" magnets in a couple ziplock bags with a dry piece of paper towel to be able see if water gets into the bags. Just something to consider.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an xf280 mounted on my overflow box. I placed the "exterior" magnets in a couple ziplock bags with a dry piece of paper towel to be able see if water gets into the bags. Just something to consider.
That sounds great, I've had confirmation direct from Redsea that the magnets are fully waterproof and they themselves sometimes place them in the overflow, I may use the bag as well just to be sure.

In terms of flow with that setup does everything seem ok with detritus hitting the overflow?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back