H2O2 Dosing questions v/s Vodka

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 110 has been running for about 6 months now. I started strong with low nutrients and very little algae growth, but with the addition of some sps, I stopped vodka dosing so the nutrients would go up. So at this point I have a tank that has enough corals in it that aren't doing well (I've lost 1 acro already), a GHA outbreak, while the nitrates and phosphates are very low. How do you manage your tank with enough nutrients for the corals, while not getting a horrible algae outbreak?? So this is my tank setup:

110 gallon DT with a 30 gallon sump and 30 gallon refugium
alk/calcium dosing by apex
2 Kessil A360 narrow
pH-8.25-8.3
Temp-79.5
Alk-10.2
Calcium-450
Phosphates-0
Not running any GFO or Carbon
I use filter socks in my sump with a vertex Omega 150 skimmer
I am feeding my tank 1 cube of either mysis or Brine shrimp per day with some Nori

I don't feel like I am feeding enough to have good nutrients in my water, but I am concerned about increasing my feeding when I have such a bad outbreak of GHA. Do I feed more, then dose H202? or do I start dosing vodka again? Any help is appreciated.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with dry rock? How long was it before you added fish.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinos-help-me-kill-them-all.285644/page-2#post-3475226

It's really all about the maturation of the bio filter. A two year old tank really is different than an eight month old one.

It's good you waited to add the fish. It could have been too many too soon or all at once that overwhelmed the filter.

And problem algae is only caused by introduction to the system. Period.
Nutrients and light only feed it. So the key is to remove it or avoid it. GHA is an alien invasion and appears out of nowhere. So removeal by hand or grazers is key .
Cyano jus do what it want to. Oldest organisimnon the planet and all.

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience pukani can leach quite a bit so that may be your issue if you didn't cure it. Since you aren't using GFO I would start and dosing a carbon source couldn't hurt either. Just go slowly with the changes so your corals aren't affected.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back