Hammer Coral Receding?

TGamble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this hammer for about 2 months now. When it arrived it looked great after acclimation and has looked open and happy since adding it to my 75 gallon tank. I’ve noticed that on the skeleton of the coral, part of the flesh has begun to recede into a ball of white flesh. I will attach pictures to clarify. It still opens fully and seems happy. Tank Parameters are good. I have not seen any fish picking on the coral and all of my other coral are unbothered and look good. Nothing has changed in the tank besides adding a purple dottyback since adding the coral.
Also, there are those little dots on the skeleton of the hammer. Is that a pest that I may not be aware of that is bothering the hammer? Thank you all for your input and advice!
Tank- 75 gallon- 2 1/2 years old
Temp-78
Salinity- 35 ppt
Nitrate 10 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Mag- 1380 ppm
Calcium- 460
Alkality- 7.7 dKH
PH-8.3
Phosphate- 0.0
IMG_6371.jpeg
IMG_6374.jpeg
IMG_6373.jpeg
IMG_6377.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

TGamble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the articles. They still answer no questions for me. My hammer isn’t expelling the filaments from its mouth, it’s from the base of its head. Is this a sign of expansion as one articles stated? Or is it bad that I’m not seeing it from the mouth and from the base of its head instead?

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible if you could scape off one of them from the base? Its going to make it angry but its worth a shot. Some say that those oval things are actually the eggs of a flatworm or some sort of pest.

But I feel like it is the mesenterial filaments but I am just theorizing here.

OP
OP
T

TGamble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible if you could scape off one of them from the base? Its going to make it angry but its worth a shot. Some say that those oval things are actually the eggs of a flatworm or some sort of pest.

But I feel like it is the mesenterial filaments
Right, I did try brushing it off with a toothbrush once but as soon as I touched the tissue the coral closed completely so I stopped as to not stress it any more. I also read about flatworms and eggs or such. I also read how people have this and it is nothing. Is it worth possibly harming my coral just to scrape the sack off?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%
Back