Hammer tissue receding, polyps not extending

jesbarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
So I decided to dip my toes into LPS and purchased a nice hammer colony and a duncan frag about a month ago. Duncan is doing great but the hammer has never fully extended and I noticed that the tissue has receded. I think I had too much light in the beginning as I noticed that the color was starting to fade and it was expelling some xooanthellae [sp?]. I brought the lighting down (much to my anemone's dismay) as the hammer was already at the bottom of the tank and I haven't noticed it expelling anything since.

Can too much light cause tissue recession? Or is this more of a flow issue? Or water quality?

Photo is from the day I got the hammer, and the video is from today.
Please excuse the algae, it's been a battle but I think I'm winning. Finally have some detectable nitrates!
I should also note that I'm currently dealing with a chronically high magnesium issue (over 1600), not sure if this can cause problems with the coral as well. I can post full parameters later today IMG_3083.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3318.MOV
    11.4 MB

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your hammer still looking ok, maybe a little unhappy, but not dying.
from my exp i found hammers are not that hardy as their reputation. they are more sensitve I will say.
so far my biggest lost in my tank are hammers. 2 of them are purchased from ASD. they are very expensive high end type, and other 2 are also hammers from LFS.
the first ASD one was doing very well for over a year, then last month my waver broken down, I had a backup one (without knowing how powerful it is), the backup waver was way too strong, I only turned it on for 5min, I could see the hammer was unhappy about it. turned off the waver right away, but the hammer turned in to brwon goo 2 days later......and nuked the zoas underneath....
the second ASD one I got it 3 days ago. arrived OK, showed a little skeleton upon arrival. did well first 24 hours, and yesterday it looked very stressed, kind of getting tiny and lifeless. i moved it to the bottom on the sand bed (was in the middle level with all other hammers). just checked this morning, getting even smaller, and I dont think it can make it.....
that just a lot of $$$ melted......
i do think my tank is doing OK. I got a master torch from r2r buddy Curtis one day before the second ASD hammer. the torch came a bit late because fedex massed up delivery time, the water temp in the package dropped to 63F. and it fell off from the plastic base where the plug was fixed on. plus size wise, the torch sekelton is only 1/3 of the hammer. but it is doing super well in my tank. It sits at the same level as the hammer (3,4 inch space between them), and it opens up 2x bigger than it did on day one.....
so right now I am very scared of hammers now. I wish someone can teach me some tricks to save/treat dying hammers.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
jesbarr

jesbarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! The whole reason I went for a hammer was because it's supposed to be the easiest of the euphylia, i prefer the look of torches but I figured I would start with a hammer and see how it goes. It was an $85 colony so I really hope it makes it :( On top of that, I don't have an LFS that does saltwater, so I have to get all livestock flown in, which is expensive so I only do an order once every 6 months.
I aimed my powerhead away from the hammer, just in case it was getting too much flow, even though the powerhead was on very low setting. I guess I'll just wait and see how it goes and hope it improves

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! The whole reason I went for a hammer was because it's supposed to be the easiest of the euphylia, i prefer the look of torches but I figured I would start with a hammer and see how it goes. It was an $85 colony so I really hope it makes it :( On top of that, I don't have an LFS that does saltwater, so I have to get all livestock flown in, which is expensive so I only do an order once every 6 months.
I aimed my powerhead away from the hammer, just in case it was getting too much flow, even though the powerhead was on very low setting. I guess I'll just wait and see how it goes and hope it improves
trying to give it lower flow will be a good idea. My LFS told me hammers have reletivly large/sharp skeletons, too much motion might cut/damage the tissue. I think it explains something. maybe that is why shipping a hammer is kind of risky. still think yours are doing ok, they dont have to open fullly up 24/7, but lets see what is going to happen

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back