Hanging & Wiring MH Pendants and Ballasts

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all you do-it-yourselfers...

I have an incoming 120"x48" tank being built, and I'm trying to figure out a modular solution for suspending multiple different types of lighting openly over the tank without a canopy that looks clean and polished.

My inspiration would be stage lighting scaffolding you see at concerts, with like a metal frame and the lights suspended below it...

I currently have 4 Hamilton Cozumel Sun MH Pendants (I may go for a 5th, we'll see), will have 6 Kessil A360X LED Pendants, and thinking of even adding some T5 supplementation for max coral growth and to decrease shadowing.

Basically, something that can accept multiple different types of suspended light sources in case I change my lights in the future.

Also, what would be the best way to manage all the wiring and big heavy magnetic ballasts for the MH pendants. Thanks for your input!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used unistrut to build a frame that holds three MH hoods, four 4 foot double t5s, and two 6' reef brites. My is an inwall tank so you can't see the system. Clean? mmmmm not really. Ballasts are mounted to the walls above any water level.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used unistrut to build a frame that holds three MH hoods, four 4 foot double t5s, and two 6' reef brites. My is an inwall tank so you can't see the system. Clean? mmmmm not really. Ballasts are mounted to the walls above any water level.

So I looked up Unistrut and it looks like you pretty much give them your dimensions and weight and they can suggest how many pieces you'd need, which thicknesses etc?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How easy would it be to construct for someone like me with just basic handyman skills? I can put together IKEA furniture with no problem... ;Hilarious

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always check out 8020.net. Little more expensive ;) than unistrut, but you can get a cleaner look qith it, they sell all the hardware you would need, plus cut all your pieces to size for you. You may even be able to find someone to 3d print mounts for your lights to fit the profile you choose. Lots of options on the website. :cool:

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always check out 8020.net. Little more expensive ;) than unistrut, but you can get a cleaner look qith it, they sell all the hardware you would need, plus cut all your pieces to size for you. You may even be able to find someone to 3d print mounts for your lights to fit the profile you choose. Lots of options on the website. :cool:

Oooooooh neato, thanks for the link!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my unistrut beast looks like. You have to attach your T5s with zip ties..otherwise your just playing pretend.

20200808_130023.jpg 20200808_130023.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back