Hanna checkers? Actually any good?

ReefRookie22

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2024
Messages
122
Reaction score
183
Location
Bristol
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've seen a lot of people selling Hanna checkers recently, along with a lot of people having issues with contradictory/fluctuating readings.
My question is are they actually worth the money or has the initial excitement about multicoloured eggs worn off?
 
Hi, I've seen a lot of people selling Hanna checkers recently, along with a lot of people having issues with contradictory/fluctuating readings.
My question is are they actually worth the money or has the initial excitement about multicoloured eggs worn off?
They have been reliable for me.
 
Upvote 0
Hi, I've seen a lot of people selling Hanna checkers recently, along with a lot of people having issues with contradictory/fluctuating readings.
My question is are they actually worth the money or has the initial excitement about multicoloured eggs worn off?
Hi There I find the alkalinity checker easy, quick and reliable. The phosphate checker is also easy and takes around 5 minutes. The salinity checker is very useful, but if I drop it, when I am clumsy, or if the the battery is low, then I have to remove and/or put in a new battery. The salinity checker needs recalibrating with the recalibration fluid every few weeks or couple of months. On the whole then, useful gadgets to have around.
 
Upvote 0
Phosphate is really the only one you need as I’ve never been able to read the other ones like salifert. Alkalinity is really nice to have. I’d probably skip the nitrate unless you run really low and can’t read the other tests.

Personally I really hate the reagent packets. I bought little tiny funnels because someone at Hanna in their infinite wisdom made the vials as long and skinny as they could with tiny openings.
 
Upvote 0
Following this as I have considered buying some of these for myself
 
Upvote 0
I use and recommend the high range nitrate and ULR phosphate. :)
 
Upvote 0
I have used the phosphorus ULR and alkalinity since they were released. I recently picked up the nitrate HR because it was on sale and only a few bucks more than replacing my kit. I quite like it too.

Plus, it’s easy to have others run the test when I am away.

Checkers are quite good in my experience.
 
Upvote 0
Have them all. Never had any issue with any of them. When I did my first icp last month I tested my water with all of them at the same time and saved the result. All for the most part were right in line is the icp results. You can also by the calibration vials that can confirm if they are reading correctly.
 
Upvote 0
I find them consistent and reliable. I just don't like the ever increasing cost of the regeants, if you use only hanna testers the monthly cost really adds up.
 
Upvote 0
You can also by the calibration vials that can confirm if they are reading correctly.

Sort of. A far better test is an actual chemical standard that checks the reagents and protocols, and not just the electronics, which is all the colored vials do. I personally would not (do not) use them, since I have actually never heard of one failing such a test.
 
Upvote 0
Hi, I've seen a lot of people selling Hanna checkers recently, along with a lot of people having issues with contradictory/fluctuating readings.
My question is are they actually worth the money or has the initial excitement about multicoloured eggs worn off?
I think they are pretty good hobbyist level testers, they are not really any more accurate and less than some test kits but are pretty quick and of course easy to read.
 
Upvote 0
FWIW, I do alk tests by DIY pH titration (cheaper and more accurate than any kits, IMO, if you have a pH meter). I don't plan to measure magnesium, and won't be measuring calcium by kit for a long time (if ever). :)
 
Upvote 0
I like all of the Hannah checkers that I have, but I find some to be way more difficult to use than others. If there was one that is most problematic and probably needs to be done over, is their calcium checker. The .1 ML of sample feels too little and most likely is the cause of the bad reviews. For this reason, I also purchased the Red Sea pro calcium checker and I use both to test and as long as they are close to one another I feel confident the tests were performed correctly, but to be honest, both are not user friendly and I don’t trust either on their own as a result.
 
Upvote 0
I like all of the Hannah checkers that I have, but I find some to be way more difficult to use than others. If there was one that is most problematic and probably needs to be done over, is their calcium checker. The .1 ML of sample feels too little and most likely is the cause of the bad reviews. For this reason, I also purchased the Red Sea pro calcium checker and I use both to test and as long as they are close to one another I feel confident the tests were performed correctly, but to be honest, both are not user friendly and I don’t trust either on their own as a result.

I agree. The calcium checker causes more folks problems than any other. It's a poor design, IMO. Way too small of a fluid amount to use.
 
Upvote 0
FWIW, I do alk tests by DIY pH titration (cheaper and more accurate than any kits, IMO, if you have a pH meter). I don't plan to measure magnesium, and won't be measuring calcium by kit for a long time (if ever). :)
Music to my ears! I put measuring calcium almost in the same category as magnesium
 
Upvote 0
Hi, I've seen a lot of people selling Hanna checkers recently, along with a lot of people having issues with contradictory/fluctuating readings.
My question is are they actually worth the money or has the initial excitement about multicoloured eggs worn off?
I love my eggs.
But API calcium is easier and accurate enough. ULR P & Alk are the two I use most frequently.
 
Upvote 0
Music to my ears! I put measuring calcium almost in the same category as magnesium

Yes, if you supplement alk and calcium with AFR or kalkwasser, there’s no simple way for calcium to get out of whack, especially with some ordinary water changes, as long as you maintain alkalinity. :)
 
Upvote 0
Hannah checkers for
Alkalinity
Phosphate
Are a godsend for me
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new