Hanna high range nitrate checker

dreamscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received it and I’m NOT impressed. The readings range very drastically and I’m thinking that the vials are a different size than the previous vials sold with the checkers.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just received it and I’m NOT impressed. The readings range very drastically and I’m thinking that the vials are a different size than the previous vials sold with the checkers.
I am on the other side actually. Mine has been accurate compared to Nyos and a Top Shelf Aquatics test. Here is a cuvette comparison. From left to right: Nitrate HR, Phosphate LR, Alkalinity. Look the same to me maybe there’s other ones you have that’s are smaller?

4E9427B7-79CF-4147-A59C-5807E74FD02C.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dreamscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the other side actually. Mine has been accurate compared to Nyos and a Top Shelf Aquatics test. Here is a cuvette comparison. From left to right: Nitrate HR, Phosphate LR, Alkalinity. Look the same to me maybe there’s other ones you have that’s are smaller?

4E9427B7-79CF-4147-A59C-5807E74FD02C.jpeg
I challenge you to test it with a new vial an older one to see if you get the same reading.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your readings within range of the instrument specifications?

±2.0 ppm ±5% of reading.

So 25ppm could read as high as 28.35ppm or as low as 21.85ppm...

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I challenge you to test it with a new vial an older one to see if you get the same reading.
Sure, I’ll do it when I get my resupply of nitrate reagents though since I’m down to 4 left from the original order and in the midst of dosing nitrate so monitoring daily.

how do you clean your vials? I do ro/di but also do vinegar cleaning and full replacement occasionally

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do understand how the checker works don’t you!

A old vial will not let as much light through as a new one so yes most likely it would give a different reading, hanna recommend changing vials every now and again.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah thats a bit rough.. oof..
One other thought I just had. The kit should have come with two new vials. Can you try a test between those two to see if you see varying results? That should help narrow down the issue to the older vial versus the Hanna checker.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do understand how the checker works don’t you!

A old vial will not let as much light through as a new one so yes most likely it would give a different reading, hanna recommend changing vials every now and again.
I don't think that's right. It compares the difference between C1 and C2 so if that's the same vial it shouldn't matter the condition of the vial.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that's right. It compares the difference between C1 and C2 so if that's the same vial it shouldn't matter the condition of the vial.

I would think the checker would be programmed to see certain colours and have their profile programmed in, when a clear glass is used, I wouldn't think it's clever enough to interpret a colour through a foggy vial even if you C1 it first, I would think that would just be too complicated.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would think the checker would be programmed to see certain colours and have their profile programmed in, when a clear glass is used, I wouldn't think it's clever enough to interpret a colour through a foggy vial even if you C1 it first, I would think that would just be too complicated.
I agree. This is from the Hanna website

The glass cuvette is an important component of the optical system in all colorimetric and turbidimetric measurements. Light reaches the sample by first passing through the cuvette glass. Based on the sample, the light is absorbed, transmitted, or scattered. As a result, the measurement can be affected if the cuvette glass has imperfections, dirt, dust, scratches, or fingerprints present

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. This is from the Hanna website

The glass cuvette is an important component of the optical system in all colorimetric and turbidimetric measurements. Light reaches the sample by first passing through the cuvette glass. Based on the sample, the light is absorbed, transmitted, or scattered. As a result, the measurement can be affected if the cuvette glass has imperfections, dirt, dust, scratches, or fingerprints present

Which is why alot of users out the vial in the same direction each time. Imperfections are the duplicated in C1 and C2

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If true then test C1 would be unnecessary I would think.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 58 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back