Hanna Instruments Checkers

CollinsLL2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they worth the price? Are they reliable and accurate compared to the Salifert kits? Do they ever need replaced?

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the parameter that you are testing. Ultra low phos is a popular one and one of the most accurate phos test kit. I have one and I don't use it very much, it has a 3 min time limit before it turns off and takes almost 3 min to complete all the steps...it can be very frustrating when it shuts off before you finish mixing reagent.

Calcium gets a lot of negative reviews for being unreliable and inaccurate. I am going to buy the alkalinity test because it is by far my most tested for param and it is supposed to be very easy to use.

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Flatlandreefer.
I have three of them The calcium one doesn't seem accurate, I stopped using it. It's for sale. :) The Alkalinity seems spot on and the phosphate works well once you master holding the button in on the final sample. You do need to work quick with the phosphate checker as flat lander said.

OP
OP
CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies. Cal and Alk were the ones I was thinking of getting but I guess I'll skip the Cal. Explains all the mixed reviews I'm reading also, I sorta figured if one was good or bad, all the others were also, good to know that some are better than others.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies. Cal and Alk were the ones I was thinking of getting but I guess I'll skip the Cal. Explains all the mixed reviews I'm reading also, I sorta figured if one was good or bad, all the others were also, good to know that some are better than others.

I would go with a Salifert kit for calcium, pretty easy to use and they are accurate

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear by the Alk and ULR phosphate ones, but the calcium one is not that good. I also use Salifert's kit for Ca.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%

Back